cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsuccessful SIM Activation

AfiaFairooz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hello, 

my sister just purchased a public mobile SIM and went through the activation process for it. However, after inserting it into her iPhone 8, the message shows: 

"this SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier." 

I have not encountered this issue with my dad's iPhone which is of the same model. 

Please advice. 

Sincerely, 

Afia

22 REPLIES 22

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv Freedom is owned by Shaw. 

@AfiaFairooz  did you ask why they couldn't track it? Maybe the person you spoke with was new and didn't know what they were doing?

You should try calling them back. At same time if you google something like iPhone carrier lock check. Some sites let you check for free.

@AfiaFairooz wrote:

Yes, the phone is originally bought from freedom 

Phone them again and hopefully you will get someone else on the line and ask them to unlock your phone.

AfiaFairooz

Yes, the phone is originally bought from freedom 

AfiaFairooz

Yes, and they asked for the IMEI number. Then the person said they cannot track the phone whereas, we did purchase the phone from freedom and recently payed off the myTab price for the phone too. 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 But isn't Freedom their own company? Are they tied to anyone else? If they are a stand alone company, is my question valid? 

I could have sworn I saw that the phone came from a company before Freedom. I must be getting old. Apologies to all for the confusion.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv  I scrolled through the threads and don't see the other provider mentioned however to answer your question no it does not mean it is unlocked depending on who the other provider is.

For example. Someone with Rogers can use a Fido sim without having the phone unlocked as Fido is owned by Rogers.

Someone with Telus can use a Koodo or PM sim without having the phone unlocked as Telus owns both of them. If a person with Telus was to switch to Fido then they would need the phone unlocked.

I hope that makes sense to you?

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 wrote:

@AfiaFairooz  did the iPhone 8 originally come from Freedom? Or another provider? Only the Original provider that the phone is from has to be contacted and you have to ask them to unlock your phone.

For iPhones they don't give you a unlock code. They send the unlock to your phone. Once the unlock is sent if your phone does not unlock right away you have to connect it to iTunes and the unlock is pushed to your phone to finalize it.

@Jb456 If the OP's phone came from another provider before Freedom Mobile and worked there, wouldn't that mean the phone is already unlocked?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@AfiaFairooz  did the iPhone 8 originally come from Freedom? Or another provider? Only the Original provider that the phone is from has to be contacted and you have to ask them to unlock your phone.

For iPhones they don't give you a unlock code. They send the unlock to your phone. Once the unlock is sent if your phone does not unlock right away you have to connect it to iTunes and the unlock is pushed to your phone to finalize it.

@AfiaFairooz When you contacted Freedom Mobile did you tell them you wanted the phone unlocked?

AfiaFairooz

that would be great! The previous provider was Freedom Mobile. I called them and it was no help, so, at this point, any help is appreciated. 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@AfiaFairooz wrote:

"this SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier." 

This is so much better than the usual message: "Invalid SIM". It actually tells you the phone is carrier-locked (it also reassures you there's no hardware issues). It doesn't rudely leave you guessing what sort of "Invalid SIM" problem prevents things from working. It doesn't lead people towards the assumption that the SIM card itself (along with, perhaps, the carrier which provided it) is somehow invalid or defective.

What carrier was the offending phone on? I might have a chat link to contact for unlocking. 

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@AfiaFairooz wrote:

My dad's phone has no such issues and they were also purchased from the same previous service provider. I am going to contact them to get the phone unlocked though! 

Thank you for your prompt response! 

Plug phone into computer and run iTunes. Does that allow the iPhone activation for your sim?

No no!

@AfiaFairooz wrote:

My dad's phone has no such issues and they were also purchased from the same previous service provider. I am going to contact them to get the phone unlocked though! 

Plug phone into computer and run iTunes. Does that allow the iPhone activation for your sim?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AfiaFairooz wrote:

I was asking that in light of your subject line. If you can test your SIM in that phone (or any other unlocked compatible phone) then you'd know your SIM and account are done.

@AfiaFairooz wrote:

It would depend when the phones were purchased in Canada.

“All phones sold in Canada since December 2017 are already unlocked. ... New devices must be sold unlocked, and older phones can be unlocked for free.“

AfiaFairooz

AfiaFairooz

Got it! Will contact them right away

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@AfiaFairooz wrote:

hello, 

my sister just purchased a public mobile SIM and went through the activation process for it. However, after inserting it into her iPhone 8, the message shows: 

I have not encountered this issue with my dad's iPhone which is of the same model. 

Please advice. 

Sincerely, 

Afia

Sounds like your phone is locked to another carrier. Contact the original carrier to have it unlocked.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AfiaFairooz 

What's happens if you put the SIM in your dad's iPhone?

The phone is locked to a previous provider. You'll need to get them to unlock it for you. If it's a Canadian phone from a Canadian provider then they must unlock it at no charge.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@AfiaFairooz 

The phone is locked. You need to have the phone unlocked by the previous carrier it was used with.

Need Help? Let's chat.