cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Unsuccessful SIM Activation

hello, 

my sister just purchased a public mobile SIM and went through the activation process for it. However, after inserting it into her iPhone 8, the message shows: 

"this SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier." 

I have not encountered this issue with my dad's iPhone which is of the same model. 

Please advice. 

Sincerely, 

Afia

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Unsuccessful SIM Activation

@AfiaFairooz 

The phone is locked. You need to have the phone unlocked by the previous carrier it was used with.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@AfiaFairooz 

The phone is locked. You need to have the phone unlocked by the previous carrier it was used with.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@AfiaFairooz 

What's happens if you put the SIM in your dad's iPhone?

The phone is locked to a previous provider. You'll need to get them to unlock it for you. If it's a Canadian phone from a Canadian provider then they must unlock it at no charge.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@AfiaFairooz wrote:

hello, 

my sister just purchased a public mobile SIM and went through the activation process for it. However, after inserting it into her iPhone 8, the message shows: 

"this SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier." 

I have not encountered this issue with my dad's iPhone which is of the same model. 

Please advice. 

Sincerely, 

Afia

Sounds like your phone is locked to another carrier. Contact the original carrier to have it unlocked.

Highlighted

Got it! Will contact them right away

Highlighted

My dad's phone has no such issues and they were also purchased from the same previous service provider. I am going to contact them to get the phone unlocked though! 

Thank you for your prompt response! 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@AfiaFairooz wrote:

My dad's phone has no such issues and they were also purchased from the same previous service provider. I am going to contact them to get the phone unlocked though! 

It would depend when the phones were purchased in Canada.

“All phones sold in Canada since December 2017 are already unlocked. ... New devices must be sold unlocked, and older phones can be unlocked for free.“

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@AfiaFairooz wrote:

I was asking that in light of your subject line. If you can test your SIM in that phone (or any other unlocked compatible phone) then you'd know your SIM and account are done.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@AfiaFairooz wrote:

Plug phone into computer and run iTunes. Does that allow the iPhone activation for your sim?

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@AfiaFairooz wrote:

Plug phone into computer and run iTunes. Does that allow the iPhone activation for your sim?

No no!

Need Help? Let's chat.