cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking phone

MikePysh
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had my cell phone stolen. I now have a loaner phone as a temporary solution. Trouble is I bought a new sim card, but can't seem to use it with this phone. I believe the phone is locked to a carrier but no clue which. Can someone help me out?

11 REPLIES 11

@robertmayThat's painting the whole industry with one broad stroke.. like EVERY industry there are good and bad..

robertmay
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

phone kiosk staff is the lowest quality staff in any industry, by a wide wide wide margin

@MikePysh  great glad your so smart Smiley LOL

MikePysh

I got the phone working. I reseated the SIM and voila! It worked! 

No thanks to the incompetency of the kiosk employee at Orchard Park Mall. 

Thanks peeps!

Mike

ppatel14

Screenshot_20190718-210000_Chrome.jpg

Try this?

emhunt

You used to have to pay money to get your phone unlocked if it was locked to a carrier, but because of new laws the companies that it could be locked to are now required to unlock your phone for free if you give them a call.

You can try googling on your phone to find out which carrier it is locked to

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Try this site.  It should provide information on SIM lock.

https://www.imei.info/

ppatel14

Can you see any bloatware from any carriers? Telus app, bell, Rogers etc? If the phone was from one of them it should have apps there or disabled. Usually a sign. 

@nwahkan wrote:

rogers and bell are the two biggest competiontions, they also own all of the other sub copamnies like public (bell) so what i recomend is email on the bell website like the costemer service rep and they will ask you for the serial number of the phone and they will unlock it 

Public is owned by Telus.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

nwahkan

rogers and bell are the two biggest competiontions, they also own all of the other sub copamnies like public (bell) so what i recomend is email on the bell website like the costemer service rep and they will ask you for the serial number of the phone and they will unlock it 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@MikePysh Not sure how to tell which carrier the phone is locked to. May be you can try entering the imei number on some website that tells you that info. If not, then you might want to try sim cards from different carriers (Rogers, Bell, Freedom, etc) to see which one works or does not ask to enter pin/locked code. 

EDIT: have you changed the sim card number from your self-serve account? This might be the reason you are not connecting to the Public Mobile network. 

Need Help? Let's chat.