cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock

Summerflowers
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do I unlock my phone. I want a company that I can speak to humans with. 
I had my own phone that was bought new. 

11 REPLIES 11

@Summerflowers  first PM never locks your phone. And have you considered Koodo and Telus? Your account wouldn't even have to be active to port your number there. Also younwoukd still be on the same Network.

fibi200329
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Did you purchase your iPhone from the Apple store? If it was the Apple store then it should already be unlocked. If it was with a carrier then you just need to call them to have them unlock it, it should be free though!

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Summerflowers if your phone is newer then 2017 your phone will not be locked. Or is it new to you? 

@Summerflowers  try this

• Reset your Network Settings. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.
  • Enable sms, mms and data.  Restart your phone, re-enter your wifi password if applicable,  try making a call , sending a mms  text.

Or 

Try using this method to push through the changes and to confirm and reset the SIM sync to iTunes
1. Insert new working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)
2. Connect to computer with USB cable.
3. Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run
4. iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates
5. Install the carrier profile update (if offered, if not, go to step 6)
6. Disconnect and restart. From @luddite.

Stay safe 

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Summerflowers wrote:

I tried getting a plan somewhere else and was told I have to get it unlocked. 
I bought a new iPhone and haven’t had a previous carrier. I’ve had public mobile for years. 

Where did you buy the phone? What is it locked to? 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Summerflowers if you bought your phone phone outright and you were with public mobile, your phone should already be unlocked.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Here is a detailed explanation by one of the Oracle's Luddite. "SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK."  is asking for the phone’s (often Samsung) “master code" after entering the wrong code too many times. Samsung and/or your previous carrier can give you this.   "SIM network unlock PIN"  is asking for your previous carrier's unlock code - just contact them with your IMEI and they'll give it to you. If you enter this incorrectly too many times, you'll get the error message above.   “PIN unlock key (PUK)”  is a SIM-specific code used to prevent unauthorised use of a SIM card.  The PIN (Personal Identification Number) enables secure access to the SIM card and network. It is provided with your SIM card.  If the PIN code is entered incorrectly 3 times, the phone is locked (except for emergency calls) and requires a PUK (Personal Unlock Key) to reactivate it. Once the PUK is recovered and validated, you will be asked to choose a new PIN. Only Public Mobile's moderators can give you this type of code, which the device manufacturer cannot. Public Mobile's moderators can be contacted at the following address:   https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437  Caution! If the PUK is entered incorrectly ten times in a row, the SIM card becomes unusable.

Summerflowers

I tried getting a plan somewhere else and was told I have to get it unlocked. 
I bought a new iPhone and haven’t had a previous carrier. I’ve had public mobile for years. 

Summerflowers

Thank you. 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Summerflowers what is the exact message? And what is the make and model of your phone? Thanks. Stay safe.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Summerflowers You will have to contact your previous carrier and they will unlock your phone for you. If you bought the phone new and you didn't buy it through your carrier it should allready be unlocked.

Need Help? Let's chat.