cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlisted Phone Number - how?

DarinSquire
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How di I unlist / make my phone number private?

18 REPLIES 18

Thanks for that helpful update @J_PM but this thread was started by that username 3.5 years ago and solved then as well.

The problem here now brought up by the recent addition to the thread by @Magic_Margie was that when someone hides their number on their phone, the recipient sees private number or something on their phone. Fine. But that recipient can look in their usage details and there's the number. Not fine. Seriously bad in this case of an abusive spouse. This is a recent bug as I've shown in the screenshots where, before the new system, it showed fine in the usage details.

All of these bugs and issues should have been found and fixed before roll out. Systems Development & Design 101. Basic rule #1. I'm astonished that this large corporation hasn't figured out that basic tenet of computer systems after all this time.

@dust2dust It's important we're providing accurate and helpful information. This can take some time as we continue strive to support as quickly as possible. Our teams are diligently working through fixes - thank for sharing screenshots we'll be sure to review this with our technical teams. 

Thank you @cavemantoronto for sharing your solution with Community!   

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

@DarinSquire 

MyAccount doesn't include the option to hide phone-number at this time. However, I strongly encourage you to access your device settings. Depending on what device you have it's a few simple steps. 

How to hide caller ID on Iphone 

1. Open Settings
2. Scroll down to Phone and tap on it. 
3. Navigate to Show My Caller ID.
4Tap on the switch to show or hide your caller ID. 

How to hide Caller ID on Android 

Android may depend on which device you have. I found this article that has a few options available. 

It's not in her hands. She's merely the go-between from here to the company technicians. At least an acknowledgement was provided though although 2 whole business days later doesn't exactly spell urgency.

Thanks @J_PM  for looking into this.   When you are looking into it,  I know this issue is in good hand

thanks

@J_PM- Maybe with a little urgency on that? This woman has now had her cover blown by this problem. She will need to go through the hassle of getting another number and re-informing all her contacts and NOT calling her ex regarding her kids until she hears that this has been fixed. I would not blame her for moving to another provider that actually has systems that work properly and predictably and have been thoroughly tested and not new systems that get thrown out to their customers to do all the testing. This is a terrible oversight for these kinds of circumstances. And something so seemingly simple. All the women in the room should be nodding in sisterhood with this woman and of course all the decent sympathetic men and making this urgent.

It's an overall corporate problem of putting in systems that are non-standard and proprietary to them making things tightly in their control rather than open and standardized. These kinds of things get overlooked.

In the new system with a call before the new system it looked like this. I'm not 100% certain that these are private numbers but it sure seems like it.

dust2dust_0-1687532064010.png

And this was the test call made that evening. Yet another bug where it shows my local time but it was actually 3 hours later shortly before I wrote the post on that day and shows 3 hours later on my phone as is correct.

dust2dust_1-1687532778436.png

@Magic_Margie @dust2dust We'll take this away for further investigation. Thank you. 

@Magic_Margie- Uh yeah that's a problem. I tested calling from a phone with hidden number set on and looked at the recipient usage and there was the number. Yeah uh NO.

Adding - this isn't an Apple thing.

@J_PM, @A_CX_PM , @Melinda_H , @Dave_M , @CS_Agent , @CS_Comms 

Magic_Margie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just learned that Public Mobile listed the phone number to an incoming call from a private number.  I tested the iPhone blocking capabilities, and it failed.   My application is having a domestic violence survivor call her ex from the blocked number so the children can talk to their father. Epic fail Apple...  He now has her phone number which he conveniently read from his Public Mobile history usage. 

Lowufo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you have an iphone just go to settings then phone then show my caller id. You can turn it off there

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@DarinSquire wrote:

Public Mobile phone numbers aren't listed since no name is sent with the number and it's not in the phone book or directory. The #31# can be dialed before the number, but as stated, doesn't always worked.

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:

@Psygineer wrote:

@DarinSquire wrote:

Adding #31# before any number you dial makes you show up as "Unknown Caller" to everyone, even people with you on their contact list.

You can even store phone numbers with #31# before them in your contact list.

Good advice.  I did some searching and found that Bell offers this at the account level.  I guess you get what you pay for.

https://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Smartphones_and_mobile_internet/How_to_block_or_unblock_my_mobile_p...

The only real issue with both the account level and the #31# method is that some companies auto-screen out unknown callers with a canned. Some people also won't answer unknown calls as they assume they are spammers. Other than that, #31# works great. I use it when using my personal number to call clients if I am away from my company phone.

@Psygineer wrote:

@DarinSquire wrote:

Adding #31# before any number you dial makes you show up as "Unknown Caller" to everyone, even people with you on their contact list.

Good advice.  I did some searching and found that Bell offers this at the account level.  I guess you get what you pay for.

https://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Smartphones_and_mobile_internet/How_to_block_or_unblock_my_mobile_p...

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@DarinSquire wrote:

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@DarinSquireOn the system level Telus doesn't assign names to phone numbers.I think among wireless providers only Rogers still allowes names to be set.

However on the phone (eg Android and iOS) you can select whether your number will be displayed. Do note if you do that the latest OSes filters "Private" numbers and it might ring if your receiptent has that feature turned on, so YMMV.

DL888
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

During the days of the landline, I used to dial *67 to hide my number. I think it was temporary for that call only. In your case, looks like your number is hidden at the time...so this may be a setting on your phone. What phone are you using?

GR
Mayor / Maire

@DarinSquire look in your phone settings, it's usually in the phone app settings as send phone ID when calling 

Need Help? Let's chat.