cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited international texting question

Dolphin1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Can this only be done if you are in Canada ?

If you travel to the US or Europe what happens ?

7 REPLIES 7

Dolphin1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dolphin1 wrote:

All services with Public Mobile only work while in Canada. The exception is roaming add-ons for use in the states.

All cell providers set up roaming agreements with other providers. Public Mobile has agreements with AT&T and T-Mobile in the states. That's it.

I like to think of it as a conversation. The SIM is unique to a provider and uses the phone as its transmission medium. Turn on the phone and the SIM (via the phone) looks for towers transmitting. The tower sees you there and says who are you. The SIM says I'm with Public Mobile. The tower says oh hey come on in. Or...the tower says you're not welcome here...go away. I'm ignoring you. Now you have no service.

It used to be that customers of different providers in Canada had to roam elsewhere in the country. Then Telus and Bell agreed with each other that their customers could use the others' towers. There are other smaller providers that have similar agreements with them or other providers.

So here it's only in the states and only those two providers. (or other areas where those providers operate)

There are a couple quirks that go our way but they could be removed at any time. You can receive a call or text in the states. You just can't call or text out without an add-on. Last month I actually had data for a brief period of time but I couldn't reproduce it.

Thank you this explanation really helps.

BestFriend
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The unlimited international texting is while you are based in Canada. If you leave Canada, then things change and you need to buy addons or another SIM elsewhere.

I use an app called mighty text to monitor my phone over wifi while working. Has anyone else used this app?

If you leave your phone in Canada, connected to wifi, can you not text and monitor text messages from anywhere in the world? 

I'd like to give this advice to people when travelling, but will it work on wifi anywhere in the world?

It's not like having your phone, but it's a close second. Thanks for your input.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dolphin1 wrote:

All services with Public Mobile only work while in Canada. The exception is roaming add-ons for use in the states.

All cell providers set up roaming agreements with other providers. Public Mobile has agreements with AT&T and T-Mobile in the states. That's it.

I like to think of it as a conversation. The SIM is unique to a provider and uses the phone as its transmission medium. Turn on the phone and the SIM (via the phone) looks for towers transmitting. The tower sees you there and says who are you. The SIM says I'm with Public Mobile. The tower says oh hey come on in. Or...the tower says you're not welcome here...go away. I'm ignoring you. Now you have no service.

It used to be that customers of different providers in Canada had to roam elsewhere in the country. Then Telus and Bell agreed with each other that their customers could use the others' towers. There are other smaller providers that have similar agreements with them or other providers.

So here it's only in the states and only those two providers. (or other areas where those providers operate)

There are a couple quirks that go our way but they could be removed at any time. You can receive a call or text in the states. You just can't call or text out without an add-on. Last month I actually had data for a brief period of time but I couldn't reproduce it.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Dolphin1 wrote:

It's not just texting that won't work when in Europe. Nothing will work outside of Canada and U.S. with one of those roaming add-ons.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Dolphin1 In the US you will have to purchase a US Roaming addon.

No options for Europe. Your best bet is to purchase a local sim when in Europe.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Only works whilst you're in Canada.

You can get an US Roaming add-on for talk/text/data while in US...anywhere else and the PM plan just won't work.

Need Help? Let's chat.