cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown calls

AdamLove
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi there.....

I'm getting a lot of calls from Unknown companies to people I do not know....

14 REPLIES 14

If iPhone set up Do Not Disturb 

Just keep blocking. Eventually you will get it under control.

Keep in mind you may be blocking legitimate numbers as these callers “may” use legitimate numbers. It is called “Spoofing” which consists of altering the caller ID to show a different number than the one actually being used for making the telephone call. This is frequently done to mislead the person receiving the telephone call into believing that the call is either local, or from a trusted organization.

So before you block check your contact list to make sure you are not  blocking a number you would expect a call from. Also Google 800Notes and can confirm, sometimes, if it is a call that you absolutely don’t want. I have had a call from my own number. They spoof a number that is in your calling area to make you feel more confident to answer. 

I don’t recommend registering with a DO NOT CALL LIST. It puts your number on a list that callers CAN call you. SEE HERE

THE BEST WAY TO CONTROL IS TO CONTROL YOURSELF.

Keep your contact lists up to date AND  block, block and block some more!!

?Changing your number is not a good idea if it was previously used. ?

I too would also suggest to use the DO NOT DISTURB settings on your phone as well and make sure you set what options work best for you. If iPhone see here. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 7.58.08 PM.png

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Just keep blocking. Eventually you will get it under control.

Keep in mind you may be blocking legitimate numbers as these callers “may” use legitimate numbers. It is called “Spoofing” which consists of altering the caller ID to show a different numberthan the one actually being used for making the telephone call. This is frequently done to mislead the person receiving the telephone call into believing that the call is either local, or from a trusted organization.

So before you block check your contact list to make sure you are not  blocking a number you would expect a call from. Also Google 800Notes and can confirm, sometimes, if it is a call that you absolutely don’t want. I have had a call from my own number. They spoof a number that is in your calling area to make you feel more confident to answer. 

I don’t recommend registering with a DO NOT CALL LIST. It puts your number on a list that callers CAN call you. SEE HERE

THE BEST WAY TO CONTROL IS TO CONTROL YOURSELF.

Keep your contact lists up to date AND  block, block and block some more!!

I too would also suggest to use the DO NOT DISTURB settings on your phone as well and make sure you set what options work best for you. If iPhone see here. 

rhbcc

These might also be because of the pandemic and the spike in spam calls, I've been having the same issue and I've been blocking the numbers permanently.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@AdamLove wrote:

Hi there.....

You can also do this

Register your number on the (Canada) National Do Not Call List and the (USA) National Do Not Call Registry to prevent compliant spammers (or their clients) from calling.  It doesn't work for everyone, and it doesn't stop non-compliant spammers but it's better than doing nothing.

AdamLove

Cool..... I can try this solution....

AdamLove

How do I change to allow only numbers in my contact list...?

@AdamLove wrote:

Is there a charge for changing number...

?

There is no charge.You can change it in self service.

AdamLove

if I change number can I get more of these calls...?

AdamLove

Is there a charge for changing number...

?

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 wrote:

Only thing you really could do is block them one by one.

Also, by default blocked calls are still forwarded to your voicemail. To prevent spam callers further annoying you by leaving messages you have to delete, disable the conditional call forwarding for blocked or declined calls:

• *67*8080000000#
  • Reset back to default with ##67# or ##004#

Unanswered calls and calls while your phone is out of network coverage, off, or in airplane mode will all still continue to go to voicemail as usual. When you get a call from a new number that is not yet blocked, you can decline it manually to prevent it from going to your voicemail.

Seahorse03
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is a very annoying situation, I totally understand especially have to be interrupted and have to block them one by one. My best suggestion is to change your number, when you change, choose a “special”, “personal” number on your own, maybe with your favourable number patterns. I find it less possible to end up with a number that’s used by others and get spammed. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@AdamLove wrote:

Hi there.....

@AdamLove  If you picked a new number when activating that is normal because that number was probably used by someone else. Just keep blocking the numbers and they will eventually stop calling. Another option is to change numbers via selfserve. PM allows you to change numbers once every 30 days.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@AdamLove  The 2 ways that I know to handle these calls  are, you can basically block them individually  as you have been doing or eliminate all unknown calls by only allowing callers on your contact list only.

Need Help? Let's chat.