Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unblock the SIM

Karenl1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How can I get the SIM network PUK

10 REPLIES 10

@marpy wrote:

I was in a store just this week setting up a plan and the sales clerk pulled out a Samsung phone and it had an unlock key on the box. My 2016 model also had an unlock key on the box and it had to be re-entered when I changed plans. Sounds like no longer true for all Samsung's but still some being sold where it is true.

Rules changed in 2017 that made carriers not allowed to sell locked phones after a deadline. They stopped locking the phones. If it was old stock like 3 years old, it could be still locked. I'm only saying most boxes don't have an unlock code. The stickers before were so that they didn't have to look for a code but it didn't have to be on the box. They could give it to you by writing it down or looking.on their computer and unlocking it for you.

marpy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was in a store just this week setting up a plan and the sales clerk pulled out a Samsung phone and it had an unlock key on the box. My 2016 model also had an unlock key on the box and it had to be re-entered when I changed plans. Sounds like no longer true for all Samsung's but still some being sold where it is true.

@marpy wrote:

On most samsung phones the unlock code is listed on the box the phone was purchased in. Other companies do the same. 

That's not true. Current phones aren't locked at all. The exception is very old stock. Even Samsung doesn't lock to first carrier any more with the newest models. And when they did self lock (Samsung), there were no stickers with an unlock code. You almiost always had to contact them for the code.

marpy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

On most samsung phones the unlock code is listed on the box the phone was purchased in. Other companies do the same. If you do not have the box or the manufacturer does not do this, you will have to contact the manufacturer.

@Karenl1   if the word network appears in the message then your phone might be locked to the previous provider. You must get the Network Unlock PUK code from your previous provider.
If your phone is a Samsung you might be able to get an unlock code from the Samsung website via a chat
To start a live chat session from Samsung's Contact Us page: http://www.samsung.com/ca/info/contactus.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000170.

Hope this helps!

Daps
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thank you! Good to know.

@Daps wrote:

Contact the carrier who originally sold the phone.

It's free to unlock your phone.

@Daps, a PUK code isn't a network lock it is a SIM lock that usually happens when someone enters a password incorrect to many times.  You are then required to contact your current provider for the unlock code.  If the person is using a Samsung there has been success of contacting Samsung and getting a master unlock code from them

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Karenl1, this is the help page on how to obtain a PUK code from the moderator team.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/where-to-find-your-puk

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Did you switch from another provider or do you own a Samsung phone ?

If you had a previous provider then you would need to contact them.  If you have a Samsung then you can get an unlock code by contacting them.

Daps
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Contact the carrier who originally sold the phone.

It's free to unlock your phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.