cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to view account/ no service for new user

eastcoastguy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I have been trying to activate a new account for my son for the past two days. It seemed the original account set up was successful as I was able to proceed to the page to choose a plan. When I tried to add a voucher for the plan we chose, I received a “generic error” message and had to log in again but have been unable to do so. He did receive a message from PM with a $10 credit as he was referred and my spouse received a $1 credit for the referral. He put the SIM card in and he still has no service and cannot access the account. We tried to start the process from the beginning but we are receiving an invalid sim message. I sent a private message to a moderator about 12 hours ago but still no reply. I am hoping to get some help from the community.

17 REPLIES 17

eastcoastguy

It is now over a week since I have tried to set up new PM plan. I have had contact with a moderator several times, all to no effect. On July 31, the moderator asked to verify account details, which I did on that day. Three days later, was again sent a message to verify account details. Which I did. Again. The next day, yesterday, I received a message from the moderator that the problem was fixed. It wasn’t. Then I received a telephone message from a level 2 technical support that there was an error in the system. The number did not port correctly - unfortunately he could not offer assistance and I should call PM customer assistance. Is this a joke? Is there a magical telephone number to call? Oh, and to top it off, the moderator said in a message that a $20 credit was applied to my son’s account. A “credit” that I had applied myself using a $20 voucher I purchased for him for a phone he cannot use. 

eastcoastguy

@kselmak I just tried to create a new registration as you suggest. When I put in his 10 digit number I received an “invalid phone number format” message. 

Oh I see

Thanks for pointing out @GinYVR 

Than moderators are the only way to go

So sorry @eastcoastguy these days the wait times are crazy.

Hope you get the response soon.

Best luck

@kselmakGood catch.. however the link https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/self-registration/ the problem is you need to receive the 6 digit code from the phone number.. ie the SIM has to be active. So that's a problem too.

eastcoastguy

@GinYVR @I would be happy with two. Right now it is not quick, or good or cheap if I have no service I have already paid for. I take your point though. 

@eastcoastguy wrote:

@kselmak @I went step by step through the set up process, at the “get started” section, activating the SIM card and account set up. When I try to access the account, his username (email) and password aren’t recognized but I can’t start over as the SIM card must be recognized as being in use already. 

Why I'm asking is that my self-serve was not created at registration I had to register it after, i remember scratching my head then I saw the sign up link to the right at the log in page.

In the picture where it says need to v create account? You will not need the sim for itScreenshot_20190727-225340~2.png

Give it a try maybe his account wasn't created either as you never received that email.

Thanks

@LudditeAs usual, Quick, Cheap, Good.. one can only pick 2.

eastcoastguy

@kselmak @I went step by step through the set up process, at the “get started” section, activating the SIM card and account set up. When I try to access the account, his username (email) and password aren’t recognized but I can’t start over as the SIM card must be recognized as being in use already. 

What happens when you try to create self serve account for him using his number and the address you used when registering him.

Thank you

@GinYVR A cool yet annoying idea I had never considered. If desperate, likely wortth the risk that PM would not provide a credit.

The current response times certainly suggest activating before porting is a must for now.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@eastcoastguyWell I usually recommend keep activating a Public Mobile SIM card, seperate from porting... as if both steps are done in one go and anyone failed.. then you are out of a SIM card and a number.

Also for the porting to be successful your son's previous providers account has to be active.. so I hope your son's old provider's renewal date is not up soon.. or he might need to pay for another month.

If you son needs to keep that number, then there is no choice than the wait for Moderator's response and keep the previous providers account active. There is just no way around that.

eastcoastguy

@GinYVR Yes, he was trying to port his number. Could this be part of the problem? Although we successfully did this for my other son. It doesn’t explain why he can’t log in to the self serve account. 

@eastcoastguyWas your son trying to port a number too? If he has no attachment to any number.. another way is to consider the SIM card and attached credit a sunk cost and open another account with a different email.. Then once the Moderator gets back to you, then complain and see if they will credit to the sunk cost to a new account. It depends on how long you are willing to wait.

I recommend doing any complex Public Mobile related things late at night or early morning EST.

eastcoastguy

@Luddite  Thank you for the reply. We cannot access the self serve account. His username/ pw isn’t recognized, message received that log in attempt failed. We shut the phone down repeatedly and turned it back on, but no service shows where the carrier should be. I’m uncertain why he can’t access the self serve page yet he has a referral credit. I’m disappointed that it may take 4-7 days to hear from a moderator. We have two other family members with PM accounts and although the setup was frustrating, we were able to activate successfully after a few attempts. 

eastcoastguy

Thanks for the reply. We cannot access the self serve account at all, just receive a message that the log in attempt failed. We haven’t received an email from PM as per usual, yet he received a text message (over wifi) that he was getting to $10 referral credit. Very frustrated.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@eastcoastguy What you describe is an account that was successfully created but failed to provision properly. That SIM is now registered, hence the invalid SIM message when you try to activate it. The private message to moderators that you have sent is the only sure cure. Sadly, their response time is abysmal lately (4-7 days Robot Mad). 

Some things to do while you wait:

• try rebooting his phone
  • try creating the self serve account here: https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/selfregistration/ 
  • what message appears on the phone after rebooting with the PM SIM installed?
  • try a wifi calling app for now; I use the one from fongo.com as a backup

Sorry, can't be more help.

BTW: If you/he cannot tolerate several days without service I have concluded a residential phone service, cellular or landline, alone is not a good solution. See: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/100-SERVICE/m-p/183753#M33693

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Sorry to hear that.

They are really busy past couple of days and you may have to wait for another day or so.

Did you try to activate his self-serve account?

Need Help? Let's chat.