cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to turn Data on or get 1GB free data

RandyWM
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I received a text message from Public Mobile stating that they had "added a one-time 1GB" to my account, and to check it out at selfserve.publicmobile.ca but when I touch the link with my Cellular Data on, it says I have no internet.  When I touch the link with Wi-Fi on it says the following:

selfserve.publicmobile.ca - Connection failed

Error code 20

The proxy failed to connect to the web server, due to TCP connection timeout.

2019-08-28 01:48:23 UTC

Your IP: (it has my IP I assume in here)

Proxy IP: (it has a different number with an ID number in brackets)

Origin Server IP X.X.X.169

I check to make sure that Public Mobile was my Network and my phone confirmed that I am "Registered on the Network"

Any ideas?

41 REPLIES 41

@AdamLove 

Have you employed all the data saving options you have in your phone? Did you recieve  and are you considering the $35/3gb plan thats been a targeted text offer from public mobile?

AdamLove
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

For me all the data ran out and then the free gig started to be used...

@Candybennett152 

Hi there, do you need some help? Click on the reply button at the bottom right and type in your question. Then hit post.

Candybennett152
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

chinee899

Asus Zenfone 5Q
Settings , Network & Internet, Mobile Data(enable)
Disable your wifi

Access point names, Public Mobile then click on + to add
the APN setting.

APN Settings:
Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,mms,supl
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified

Try to send whatapp message to see it is working or not,
if working
1. Make sure you disable your DATA PLAN from public mobile
enable you data now.

@AdamLove wrote:

Can I have a gig added on to my account....?

@AdamLove  I'm afraid the only way to get a gig added to your account is if you purchase the $30/1GB add-on, or if PM decides to give away another free 1GB of data to all customers as it did during last summer and last December holiday gifts! 

We can hope so anyway:)

AdamLove

Can I have a gig added on to my account....?

AdamLove

It should just work....

AdamLove

Try going to plan add one in self serve and see if you have data added on to your plan...

@Yangfa  Just a FYI in future start your own thread to get more of a response and dedicated answers and suggestions to help solve your issue. Just go to browse....pick a category ghat you think suits your question/issue. Then click on "ask a question" type in a subject/topic ie "no data after autopay failure" and then ask your question/explain issue and post.

Have you tried my suggestions or can you answer my questions to help you further from the private message sent/received? Ultimately if you think your plan data did not reset after you reactivated and you've tried everything then contact the moderators. Click on the (?)at the bottom right corner of your screen to submit a ticket via simon explaining your issue. Type account specific issue and then type human and follow the prompts to submit your ticket. Keep an eye on the envelope icon next to your avatar at the top right corner of the screen for a little number to pop up indicating a message from the moderators. Responding promptly to messages will speed up service times.

If you have more questions feel free to ask them we are happy to help you.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Yangfa wrote:

I can text and call; no data service. 

@Yangfa   You can try powering off your phone, remove the SIM and wait 5 mins and re-insert SIM and restart your phone.

Of course, also check your data is enabled on your phone.

Yangfa

I can text and call; no data service. 

@Yangfa  Your calling and texting works? Just not your mobile data? Do you have WiFi access and your phone works on it? What model of iPhone do you have?

Yangfa

Hello,please turn on my data as I paid yesterday for the plan. no setting issue on my iPhone. Because a payment delayed one day but now the data is not active even the bill is charged. I mean I paid through another credit card. thank you!

Nexzen

it's an apn setting issue most likely, reset the settings and check if the apn settings are acurate.

KamWest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
I got that error yesterday, have patience it will go away.
I think they are working on the back end.

RandyWM

I closed this by accident and I am unsure how to"un-close" it as this is the correct solution.

My APN was not set up properly.

Thank you for your help.

How did you know what to put the settings at, and how would a older "semi-ludite" like myself not know to do this?

I am always trying to educate myself on how to do these things for myself.

I saw the website, but is this information on Public Mobile's website for people who are just setting up their phones for data for the first time?

RandyWM

I closed this by accident.  Actually, I went onto my account and it said that the 1GB of free data was on my account and I have used none.

Any ideas?

RandyWM

So, I can now get onto my account and it does say that I have 1024MB of free data but I still can't get on.  I noticed that my phone only uses 2G or 3G network.  Could that be causing the issues?

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@RandyWM, as others have said, the self-serve was down overnight for a period of time, and that is somewhat normal, unfortunately.

As for the data addon, it hasn't been applied to either of my plans yet, but the messages did say 'in the next week', so I'm waiting until Friday, as I received my messages last Friday to expect it.

goldilock
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@RandyWM 

If you click DATA AND ADD-ONS, in your account does it show the 1GB promo data? Only when it shows there, will you be able to use data if you don't have data included in your plan or haven't exceeded your data usage in your plan.

If you see the 1 GB data in your data and add-ons

1)Make sure in your phone's settings that your cellular data is turned on.

2) Check the apn settings on your phone are:

APN Settings:
Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri,dun
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

More info for particular devices:

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile

RandyWM

My spouse is on the same plan as I am and she hasn't received the text message about the 1GB of data being added to the account yet either.

@RandyWMJust note the original annoucement was to give them up to 2 weeks to apply the credit so don't panic (yet) if you don't see it tomorrow.. However since you mentioend you don't have data, you can also enable data now, type in your APN settings etc.. especially since Public Mobile doesn't have overages.. if you don't have data allotment data just won't work.

RandyWM

I just received the message today about the data, so I will wait until tomorrow to see if I get any results then.

@Anonymous @AE_Collector I assume the OP was looking whether the 1Gb had been applied to his account yet. I haven't seen it on mine, but I noticed I got an extra person count (bug) in my My Rewards graphic!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector wrote:

@GinYVR 

You are correct, I got there this time. Was error 20 for a long time and then error 503 a minute or two ago but there now.

Has anyone actually got the text that the data was added? I thought the OP may have been referring to the "good news" message, not the actual data plan added text.

Terry

My newer second line got the text a little after I noticed the data. My older first line has neither.

@GinYVR 

You are correct, I got there this time. Was error 20 for a long time and then error 503 a minute or two ago but there now.

Has anyone actually got the text that the data was added? I thought the OP may have been referring to the "good news" message, not the actual data plan added text.

Terry

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector wrote:

Still can't access website here, just tried again now. I came here checking to see if there anywere any reports of the web site being down. Looks like I found some!

Terry

I was going to say something then GinYVR said it. Works for me too.

@AE_CollectorIt is working for me.. there was a second when their proxy was rejecting my request.

Still can't access website here, just tried again now. I came here checking to see if there anywere any reports of the web site being down. Looks like I found some!

Terry

Need Help? Let's chat.