cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to make or receive calls (but have access to text and mobile internet)

Thom20
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hey I just signed up to PM a couple days ago. Like the Subject says I can't make or receive calls.

I'm using a galaxy s8.

The phone is detecting Public Mobile as the carrier on the top left. It's telling me I have full bars for the service. 

I can make and receive texts. And I can use mobile internet just fine.

For calling when I try to call it'll hang on "calling" for about 10 seconds and then just close the call. When receiving calls it'll let me pick it up but then instantly hang up the second I answer.

I've tried doing the standard reboots after inserting the sim and trying the different connection types for the mobile network.

Any help getting this working would be greatly appreciated!

118 REPLIES 118

@Thom20 

Did the mods ever open a ticket and refer your issue to tech support? Was it all pm sims not working in your phone or just your sim card? I was just reading another thread with an intermittent issue that required tech support to find the issue on pm's end.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Randomly-not-receiving-incoming-ca...

Thom20

@kb_mv Sad I know, but I've kind of run out of options. Contacting samsung didn't yield any results. The PM mods put in a second unlock request. Apparently the phones hardware is working just fine according to repair shops. We've checked countless software inquires and everything seems to check out.

I'm going with the thought that this S8 is cursed. Thanks again for all the support.

@Thom20 wrote:

@gpixel I'm pretty much at that point. I'll sell it with the stipulation that it's for telus customers only.

This phone issue has become a complete mystery to me. But I appreciate the help everyone has put in to troubleshoot it. Sorry we couldn't come up with a solution in the end 😞

@Thom20 @gpixel That's it? I feel like I have reached the end of the internet lol. Better luck with your next phone!

Thom20

@gpixel I'm pretty much at that point. I'll sell it with the stipulation that it's for telus customers only.

This phone issue has become a complete mystery to me. But I appreciate the help everyone has put in to troubleshoot it. Sorry we couldn't come up with a solution in the end 😞

@Thom20 I guess not, maybe you can sell it on Craigslist and use the money towards an s9. a good condition s8 is still going for $300. you will only have to add $60-100 for an s9. just make sure you are able to make calls etc. when you put your public sim card in

Thom20

@gpixel  Ah just found this in the xda forums "No US or Canadian model have OEM unlock. There is no bootloader unlock. That's that no way around there is a system only root method if you look up extreme syndicate"

Soo I can't downgrade unless I root the device?

Thom20

@sheytoon  I appreciate the help anyway!

Still trying to work out downgrading the firmware. The phone seems to be blocking it.

@gpixel I'm a little confused by the info from the link you gave from what I understand by the reply on that thread they're saying you can't downgrade software. But I'm sure that's not true.

Also I can't get the OEM unlock option on the phone, this is driving my nuts. That must be what's blocking the firmware. I've tried the "tricks" people have online to reveal the option but they aren't working.

Seems like a Canadian model, with Rogers firmware. I'm sorry I'm out of ideas.

Thom20

@sheytoon The CSC is G950WOYA8CTI1

@Thom20 do you know which CSC is active on your phone?

I'm pretty much out of ideas.

@Thom20 is your bootloader unlocked? or does Odin do that automatically for you? 

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/help/sw-rev-check-fail-fused-5-binnary-1-t3827486/amp/

look through the xda threads. I'm sure you'll find something there to help you flash

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/help

Thom20

@gpixel Hmm, I can't get the old firmware to install. Odin just fails every time I try it. I'm getting this error on the phone "sw rev check fail : [abl]fused 8 > binary 5"

Thom20

@gpixel  The link to Nougat 7.0 firmware is broken, I could only find a working link for 8.0 instead so fingers crossed. Anything older than that asked for a paid sub to download.

I'll keep you posted.

@Thom20 try going back to nougat. check to see if the sim works right away don't restore your apps etc.

https://www.samsungsfour.com/tutorials/how-to-install-stock-rom-firmware-on-all-galaxy-s8-smartphone...

Thom20

@Anonymous  exactly 😛 Figured it wasn't something I should share publicly. Dunno what kind of actions someone can do with the number.

@sheytoon Tried with the sim in and out, and made sure the number was correct but I kept getting this error. Is there any other way to force the action?

Screenshot_20201108-115410_Phone.jpg

Thom20

@kb_mv I haven't but this is the only s8 I've dealt with.

@Anonymous Here's the rest of the info. Also I found an old inactive telus sim in a box of phone stuff. Obv I can't use it to test, but when I put it in the phone the option for VoLTE popped up in the connection settings on the phone, so I can now confirm that the VoLTE setting is indeed set to off even if it's hidden with the PM sim in 😛

Screenshot_20201108-105720_Settings.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thom20 

You can find the CSC in Settings/About phone/Software information - Service provider SW ver.

The IMEI is near the top of that Radio Switcher screen. Right of you to not include it here.

That dial code didn't work on my A31. Although now sheytoon has gone and made me want to try it with the SIM's out 🙂 Soon.

@Anonymous I'm not too concerned with the other settings in that menu. DSDS is for dual SIM capability.

Yes, if you force the phone to WCDMA, there's no VoLTE. My only suspicion is some kind of carrier profile on the phone that is preventing 3G calling.

Do you know the current CSC for your phone? The reason I asked where you got it is to rule that out. I know some US operators will cripple features if you use a different SIM. To fix it you need to change the CSC. It's possible on some Samsung phones, but you might have to remove the SIM to do it.

Find your IMEI first. Dial *#06# to find it, or look for a label on the original box.

Dial *#272#IMEI# to change CSC (may not work on all phones). Backup your files because this will factory reset your device.

@Thom20 I'm glad I went from an S7 to an S9. Have you heard of any other S8's that are experiencing this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if sheytoon might be interested but do you have the rest of the screen of Radio Switcher? I suppose it's possible that other stuff shows up depending on preferred network type. I have LTE/UMTS auto (PRL).

I also have a switch called Enable DSDS on under a line under EAB/Presence. Whatever all those are 🙂

Thom20

@Gregmt This was already done. I know it's a phone problem not a SIM problem.

@sheytoon I think I have these setting correctly, but for the sake of consistency I took a screen of radio switcher just in case. I haven't found the VoLTE option anywhere on the phone but by the looks of the radio switcher it is disabled?

Anyway the same problem persists it doesn't even get to connect, the dialer closes before getting through. Though if I'm using the wrong settings there let me know I'll try again.

The phone is my brothers old phone.

(edit forgot to add photos)

Screenshot_20201108-092808_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20201108-094924_Service mode RIL.jpg

Gregmt

Have you tried your wife's SIM card in your phone that will not make or receive calls? I would try that. If still the same issue, then it would appear as if the issue is with your phone. 

Cheers.

Ok that's weird. Are you able to make voice calls on Telus on 3G? You have to disable VoLTE. Telus and PM 3G should behave the same way.

Another question... Where did you buy this phone from?

Thom20

@sheytoon When I do that the calls don't make a connection at all. It stays stuck on calling and eventually closes the dialer. Here are screen shots from it.

Screenshot_20201107-225128_Service mode RIL.jpgScreenshot_20201107-225107_Service mode RIL.jpg

Everything looks good. You're on B5 UMTS with a good signal. I don't see why your calls would be dropping.

Random shot in the dark... On the *#2263# menu, can you go to WCDMA band preference, deselect 850, press menu button (top right 3 dots), back, then apply changes. Then make a call, it should use UMTS B2 (1900). Any difference in behaviour? I doubt it, but worth a shot.

Thom20

@JoyLuck  This was already tested, same results.

@sheytoon Here's the service mode screens: (I took a few during the call cause a couple things changed on it, wasn't sure which info was relevant)

Screenshot_20201107-213130_Service mode RIL.jpgScreenshot_20201107-213442_Service mode RIL.jpgScreenshot_20201107-213424_Service mode RIL.jpgScreenshot_20201107-213416_Service mode RIL.jpgScreenshot_20201107-213213_Service mode RIL.jpg

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@Thom20 

Do you know anyone with PM who can put their sim in your phone to see what happens?

@darlicious I am not sure what the problem could be.

@Thom20 can you dial *#2263# and post the screenshot? Also do another screenshot for *#0011# while you are making a call on PM.

Thom20

@Naepalm Nope, I haven't dropped the phone. It's pretty much pristine, no reason for me to take it out since I can't make calls with it 😛

Also I gotta remind that it DOES work with telus sims for some reason 😕

Need Help? Let's chat.