cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to make or receive calls (but have access to text and mobile internet)

Thom20
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hey I just signed up to PM a couple days ago. Like the Subject says I can't make or receive calls.

I'm using a galaxy s8.

The phone is detecting Public Mobile as the carrier on the top left. It's telling me I have full bars for the service. 

I can make and receive texts. And I can use mobile internet just fine.

For calling when I try to call it'll hang on "calling" for about 10 seconds and then just close the call. When receiving calls it'll let me pick it up but then instantly hang up the second I answer.

I've tried doing the standard reboots after inserting the sim and trying the different connection types for the mobile network.

Any help getting this working would be greatly appreciated!

118 REPLIES 118

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thom20 wrote:

@Anonymous They did some sort of reset that didn't erase the stuff I have saved on the phone. They said it was something only they could do with some sort of samsung software, I haven't seen the software they used for it before. But ya, I did already do a factory reset on my own.

Sounds like they might have done a non-destructive cache reset in a service start up menu. You could see it too if you like. Look it up but it's something like press and hold the power button and the volume up button or something.

It's the weirdest thing you're having. Keep googling using different search terms and order.

Thom20

@darlicious  I'm on the $25/mo plan

@RosieR  Not sure if I'm ready to triple my plan cost just to use this phone. I'll just stick to my old ZTE for now since it does work just fine.

@Anonymous They did some sort of reset that didn't erase the stuff I have saved on the phone. They said it was something only they could do with some sort of samsung software, I haven't seen the software they used for it before. But ya, I did already do a factory reset on my own.

@Thom20 

What plan are you on?

@Thom20 wrote:

@Anonymous @Nezgar @darlicious 

So I finally got into town to a repair shop.

They confirmed that the antenna is not broken and couldn't find any hardware problems. They were as baffled as I am. They also tried a reinstall of the current software to make sure it was installed correctly. And checked out the same network settings and stuff that we all checked.

They did try one of their own sim cards in the phone; a telus sim; and it worked with calls.

So far telus sims work, but virgin and public mobile sim cards aren't working. I haven't been able to test any other sim cards.

Not too sure where to go from here. I guess I'm just being forced to get a telus plan if I want to use this phone XD

Hi @Thom20 well then, this Telus promo is what you might need

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Are-you-outgrowing-your-plan-An-offer-from-our-friends-at-TELUS/m-p/610078#M45024

Sorry to see you go but tis the same family 👋

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thom20 

Thanks for the update. What a head scratcher. Do you mean they did like a factory reset? Or had you done that earlier anyway?

Thom20

@Anonymous @Nezgar @darlicious 

So I finally got into town to a repair shop.

They confirmed that the antenna is not broken and couldn't find any hardware problems. They were as baffled as I am. They also tried a reinstall of the current software to make sure it was installed correctly. And checked out the same network settings and stuff that we all checked.

They did try one of their own sim cards in the phone; a telus sim; and it worked with calls.

So far telus sims work, but virgin and public mobile sim cards aren't working. I haven't been able to test any other sim cards.

Not too sure where to go from here. I guess I'm just being forced to get a telus plan if I want to use this phone XD

Thom20

@Nezgar  Ok so the network type doesn't really show anything important there.
I downloaded an app that supposedly checks if you have Volte on or off and it claims volte is off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar wrote:

Due to marketing antics, a lot of mobile operators started branding HSPA+ as "4G" instead of "H+" and then LTE as "4G LTE" (standard non-plussed HSPA would show as "3G" or "H")

If I set my Samsung A31 to 3G only and turn on data I get H+.

There's a dial code somewhere that gets in to a service menu that might show some things.

Edit: not a dial code...an app. It's called Radio Switcher. Maybe @Thom20 might find some enlightenment there.

@Thom20 wrote:

Those settings still don't line up with what I see on the phone ui. I can't find IMS settings. I've also used the search function in the settings ui and it only shows up a IMS app that I can't seem to access in any way. When I click it it just goes to the app info page where you're able to force stop an app etc.

I did notice under settings>about phone>status>SIM card status it's showing everything's connected.

My screen captures are from a BlackBerry KEYone, which uses a mostly stock google interface in the settings menu, so it would be more similar to a Google Nexus. You said you are using a Samsung Galaxy S8. Samsung heavily customizes the interface, so it is very plausible they have removed the menu option I highlighted... Which carrier was your phone from originally?

Not sure if there would be a round-about way to access that menu, or some other app to reveal if VoLTE is enabled or disabled under the hood.. I'll think about this...

But having WCDMA only in the network mode selected it's still showing 4G up at the top. I dunno if that's telling of any problem or not.

Due to marketing antics, a lot of mobile operators started branding HSPA+ as "4G" instead of "H+" and then LTE as "4G LTE" (standard non-plussed HSPA would show as "3G" or "H")

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thom20 wrote:

@Anonymous   Well I am able to access the play store and in settings>about phone>status it does show "official" under phone status.

@Nezgar 

Those settings still don't line up with what I see on the phone ui. I can't find IMS settings. I've also used the search function in the settings ui and it only shows up a IMS app that I can't seem to access in any way. When I click it it just goes to the app info page where you're able to force stop an app etc.

I did notice under settings>about phone>status>SIM card status it's showing everything's connected.

But having WCDMA only in the network mode selected it's still showing 4G up at the top. I dunno if that's telling of any problem or not.

That is interesting. It should be a capital H or 3G HSDPA data connection when data is on and a little h when not. 4G is correct when on LTE (or LTE).

So I would say the phone has not been rooted. But I'm no expert in rooted devices. Barely dabbled.

Thom20

@Anonymous   Well I am able to access the play store and in settings>about phone>status it does show "official" under phone status.

@Nezgar 

Screenshot_20201029-182851_Settings.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thom20 wrote:

@darlicious  So here's a hypothetical question. Is there third party software that might stay on a phone after a factory reset that could cause calling problems?

I got this phone from my brother. It was reset when I got it so I don't know if it had been rooted or had other software on it before hand. Is there a way to check for that?

I seem to think a rooted phone can't get into the Play store. I seem to think a rooted phone can't run Google Pay.

Down in About phone / Status there might be a mention of "Official".

Or maybe a bunch of apps belonging to the phone manufacturer might be a clue. Or apps belonging to a carrier.

Thom20

@darlicious  So here's a hypothetical question. Is there third party software that might stay on a phone after a factory reset that could cause calling problems?

I got this phone from my brother. It was reset when I got it so I don't know if it had been rooted or had other software on it before hand. Is there a way to check for that?

@Thom20 

The hunt for a solution continues......like a dog with a bone.

Thom20

@darlicious Nothing looks out of the ordinary. Default calling app is set to Phone and there's  only 1 Phone system app on the list. IMS apps look normal.

@Thom20 

Thinking about @Nezgar mentioning cell tower service do you mind sharing your general location? I wondering if @sheytoon  could possibly have some insight? A fresh perspective....

I thought I had the bf's calling sorted .....not! Anyhow it got me exploring my apps and initially I couldn't find my phone app until I went to the app settings....system apps.... and default apps. Have you looked in there for anything wonky?

Screenshot_20201026-231836_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20201026-231819_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20201026-231805_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20201026-231612_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20201026-231521_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20201026-231514_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20201026-231853_Settings.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

And I'm stock, un-rooted Android 10 under Samsung's One UI 2.1.

(albeit from the UAE 🙂 )

I don't got none o' them there ellipses thingamajiggers.

Thom20

@darlicious I very much appreciate all the help you and others have been giving. Thanks so much!

@Nezgar I tried looking for these options but my software is android 9.0 and the menus look different. Tap and holding on the menus don't seem to do anything :x

The menus related to mobile connections are split into "Mobile networks" and "Data usage" (I still had it set to WCDMA from the 3g test here)

Screenshot_20201026-202034_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20201026-202004_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20201026-202030_Call settings.jpg

@Thom20 wrote:

@Anonymous  It hasn't been mentioned but it doesn't appear to be an option under mobile networks. It seems like options that aren't available to public mobile like wifi calling and volte just don't show up in the settings when this PM sim is in (Smart auto changing system settings I guess...?).

This is where I found the VoLTE setting on my phone (Android 8.1) :

• Hold on the mobile network icon in the pulldown bar to bring up the "Data Settings" page
  • Tap the vertical elipsis (3 dots) icon in the top right ( ) and choose "Cellular networks"
  • On the "Network settings" page that comes up, tap "IMS settings"
  • On the "IMS settings" page that comes up, ensure "Voice over LTE" is OFF

Here's screenshots of these screens from my phone:

Step 1: Tap the vertical elipsis (⋮) and choose "Cellular Networks"Step 1: Tap the vertical elipsis (⋮) and choose "Cellular Networks"Step 2: Choose "IMS settings"Step 2: Choose "IMS settings"Step 3: Ensure "Voice over LTE" is disabledStep 3: Ensure "Voice over LTE" is disabled

@Thom20 

I've managed to solve mine but yours is a real riddle, wrapped in a mystery surrounded by an enigma.

It's been nagging at me all weekend....i spend a bit of time researching it and everyone's suggestions are just falling flat!  We will all keep trying.....i just keep coming back for more.....

Thom20

@darlicious  Currently the phone is sitting on freshly factory reset. Save for the public mobile APN settings and current firmware I haven't downloaded any apps on the phone. There's no whatsapp on the phone by default for the s8 I guess. The default system dialer just named "phone" is set to the default dialer app. I tried the google phone app as well at one point with the same results.

@Thom20 

Having my own calling issue @Anonymous makes a good point. Since I just discovered the only calling app on the bf's "new" Samsung S6 edge was whatsapp and nothing set as default have you looked at your actual phone app?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thom20 wrote:

@Anonymous  It hasn't been mentioned but it doesn't appear to be an option under mobile networks. It seems like options that aren't available to public mobile like wifi calling and volte just don't show up in the settings when this PM sim is in (Smart auto changing system settings I guess...?).

Yeah I guess never mind. I looked at my couple phones and there was no option available.

Have you tried other dialers?

Thom20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thom20 wrote:

@Nezgar  I just tested forced 3G on my other phone that works with the sim card and its fine. Can make and receive calls. Still registering with the network. So I'd assume that means 3G is available in the area. Data and texting both still work in the S8 while on 3G mode just no calls.

I don't have another galaxy S8 to try. But I've tried the PM sim in my wifes phone and it does work. She has a ZTE Z957. When I'm back in the area where the repair shop is, I'll see if I can check on other phones.

Has the possibility of VoLTE-only mode been mentioned? PM doesn't support that. Others can. I don't know if only exclusive VoLTE can be chosen.

Thom20

@Nezgar  I just tested forced 3G on my other phone that works with the sim card and its fine. Can make and receive calls. Still registering with the network. So I'd assume that means 3G is available in the area. Data and texting both still work in the S8 while on 3G mode just no calls.

I don't have another galaxy S8 to try. But I've tried the PM sim in my wifes phone and it does work. She has a ZTE Z957. When I'm back in the area where the repair shop is, I'll see if I can check on other phones.

@Thom20 wrote:

@Nezgar  Correct I switched the phone to WCDMA (3G) only mode and it did not work.

When you say "it did not work" - did it work for Data/Texting still in 3G mode, or no service at all? Did it still register a network connection in 3G mode?

The reason a Telus SIM may have worked in your phone is that Telus supports VoLTE - so calls will work over LTE. The issue seems to be with the 3G capability of your phone.

It would be interesting to know if your SIM card works (for calls) in another phone at your local phone repair place.

Wondering if it's possible there's no 3G service in your area...

Thom20

@Nezgar  Correct I switched the phone to WCDMA (3G) only mode and it did not work.

@Anonymous I did try switching the SIMs around again and unfortunately it didn't do the trick.

I'm starting to think this phone is cursed.

@Thom20 

So just to confirm, you were able to switch the phone to 3G only mode? And still unable to make/receive calls in that mode?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thom20 wrote:

@Dunkman I got a guy at the local phone repair place to check their Telus sim card in the phone and it works. They also claimed that the antenna is functioning.

SIM and service in other phone works.

Other SIM and service apparently works in your phone.

Maybe returning the SIM to your phone might get things going again if you haven't already tried that.

I don't think this is a fault with PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.