cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to make or receive calls (but have access to text and mobile internet)

Thom20
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hey I just signed up to PM a couple days ago. Like the Subject says I can't make or receive calls.

I'm using a galaxy s8.

The phone is detecting Public Mobile as the carrier on the top left. It's telling me I have full bars for the service. 

I can make and receive texts. And I can use mobile internet just fine.

For calling when I try to call it'll hang on "calling" for about 10 seconds and then just close the call. When receiving calls it'll let me pick it up but then instantly hang up the second I answer.

I've tried doing the standard reboots after inserting the sim and trying the different connection types for the mobile network.

Any help getting this working would be greatly appreciated!

118 REPLIES 118

Thom20

@Dunkman I got a guy at the local phone repair place to check their Telus sim card in the phone and it works. They also claimed that the antenna is functioning.

@Thom20 

IF possible, try another companies working SIM card in your phone.  If it also does not work, your hardware is defective and might need to be send in for repairs or getting another phone.  The PM Sim card does work in other phone so PM service is fine.  Now to determine whether hardware setup issue for PM service versus actual hardware defect.  

Thom20

@Nezgar 

I tried all of the network settings, no luck. The sim does work on other phones.

@darlicious 

The *#*#3646633#*#* code isn't working. I tried looking up how to get to engineering mode on the current software but couldn't find an answer.

@Nezgar 

The sim does work in another phone so it is a phone issue....ive read about checking the grey antenna wire but we're getting into repair with that.

@Thom20 

Ok i came across this one if you want to try it....

Your problem same with my phone.. You try type *#06# your IMEI no will appear on your screen.. I believe..your screen will appear ( invalid ) that's why your phone can't call in and out..this is your h.phone problem..not your sim.. You can put your IMEI no back and make a call in out normally.. Follow this step to put IMEI on your phone.. Take your IMEI no at the battery area normally, or get it from your HP box...if your hp have a 2 sim you must be a 2 IMEI no..copy that and follow this step..

1) type *#*#3646633#*#*

2) choose Connectivity

3) choose CDS Information

4) choose Radio Information

5) choose phone 1

6) you can see AT+ on your screen.. Just add E and your screen will appear AT+EGMR=1,7,""

7) put your IMEI no between "" for example :

( AT+EGMR=1,7,"123456789" )

😎 don't forget you must modified a little bit things, just put

the "space" between AT+ for example :

( AT *put space here* +EGMR=1,7,"123456789" )

9) and push button SEND AT COMMAND

10) on your bottom screen will appear

(AT command is mSent) in 3-4 second.

11) if your HP have a 2 simcard you must have a 2 IMEI no

12) to put second IMEI no just follow step 5 and choose

"Phone 2" after finished setup 1st IMEI at the same time

13) follow step 6 and choose ( AT+EGMR=1,10,"" ) and follow

the step until step 10.

14) after finish the setup just restart your HP

15) after restart type *#06# and your IMEI no will appear,

and your phone will be OK. If not working send your HP

to your hp service centre..TQ..GOOD LUCK.

Thanks @Thom20 that helps - the SM-G950W is indeed the Canadian version of the Galaxy S8 so should be compatible...

Maybe try going into network settings - cellular networks, IMS settings, and disable Voice over LTE? It shouldn't effect it if it's on, but try...

Lastly - can you verify your sim works in another phone fine?

Oh - you also didn't mention if you tried forcing your phone to 3G mode. (No LTE) there are actually a few locations in Canada where there is LTE but no 3G. This test will help determine that... (as well as testing your PM SIM in another phone...)

Thom20

@Nezgar  Tried the codes, no luck. I'm on the 25$ plan so I should have unlimited calls. How do I know the exact model? In the about settings it's SM-G950W is there something that gives more info on it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

I agree that 850MHz is the more common way to say band 5, but some considering saying either 800MHz or 850MHz to be interchangeable.

Well of course @sheytoon is the expert on these things but I think I would beg to differ. But of course I could be wrong. Ye ol' wikipedia may shed some light too.

Edit: I kept scrolling...deployments by region...800 is not here

I see Band 5 = 824 – 849 and 869 – 894mhz..... so basically 75% of the eight "hundred" mhz "band"... "850" being more in the "middle" between the up/down... I love pedantic types, I'm one of them!

@Anonymous wrote:

@Nezgar wrote:

With Public Mobile, data & texting can use LTE, but 3G (WCDMA/HSPA) is required for calls on 850/1900mhz. It's possible your phone only supports 900/1800Mhz 3g...

Fixed it for ya. 🙂

I agree that 850MHz is the more common way to say band 5, but some consider either 800MHz or 850MHz to be interchangeable.

@Nezgar 

The problem @Thom20 is having is calls immediately dropping when calling out or answering vs not being able to call at all.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar wrote:

With Public Mobile, data & texting can use LTE, but 3G (WCDMA/HSPA) is required for calls on 850/1900mhz. It's possible your phone only supports 900/1800Mhz 3g...

Fixed it for ya. 🙂

@darlicious wrote:

@Thom20 

Try dialing *#31#.....i dunno this might work?

I think you must have meant codes to reset any inadvertent forwarding, *#31# is to "view" your current outgoing caller ID block setting...

##21# - reset any unconditional forwarding

##004# - reset any conditional forwarding

That still doesn't explain why @Thom20 can't make outgoing calls though, unless out of minutes on the $15 plan? or.....

@Thom20- can you confirm the exact model of Galaxy S8 you have? The symptoms you describe match the behaviour of an import phone that doesn't support Public Mobile's 3G bands which are mandatory for calls in Canada. With Public Mobile, data & texting use LTE or 3G (WCDMA/HSPA), but 3G is required for calls on 800/1900mhz. It's possible your phone only supports 900/1800Mhz 3g...

@Thom20 

Whoops sorry that was obviously a bad suggestion from another forum! Hopefully you'll find an answer soon but it appears its a hardware issue with your phone. Do you have a similar problem when using a calling app using voip? Messenger? Skype?

@Thom20 wrote:

@darlicious 

Nothing happens when I type that code. It's just for hiding your number from people you're calling. I appreciate the help though!

I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with the antenna of the phone now. Though the last repair place I went to claimed the antenna was fine. Might need a second opinion.

If anything, the use of #31#  could cause more problems by preventing you from reaching people because some have their phones set to automatically refuse such phone calls.

Thom20

@darlicious 

Nothing happens when I type that code. It's just for hiding your number from people you're calling. I appreciate the help though!

I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with the antenna of the phone now. Though the last repair place I went to claimed the antenna was fine. Might need a second opinion.

@Thom20 

Try dialing *#31#.....i dunno this might work?

Thom20

@darlicious Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the airplane mode thing, tried safe mode, and tried clearing the phone cache. They didn't fix it unfortunately.

I've also completely factory reset the phone so there's no new apps currently on it.

@Thom20 

If airplane mode doesn't work try making calls in safe mode if you can do that then you just have to weed out which third party app is causing the problem.

1. Turn the device off.
  2. Press and hold the Power key past the model name screen.
  3. When “SAMSUNG” appears on the screen, release the Power key.
  4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
  5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
  6. Safe mode will display in the bottom left corner of the screen.
  7. Release the Volume down key when you see Safe Mode.

If you still get calls disconnecting try clearing your cache partition.

@Thom20 

Have you tried turning airplane mode on for a minute? It could be as simple as a poor connection tion.

Thom20

@darlicious 
It does work on a different phone.
It's the strangest thing. I can call my wifes phone and it'll ring but when she picks up it'll instantly disconnect the call. Same thing happens in reverse when she calls me, I'll see it coming in but when I pick up it ends the call.
And I'm sure it's a different type of connection but I do still have full access to texts and mobile internet. It's just the calls that are having problems.

@Thom20 

Have you tried using the pm sim card in another phone? If you still dont have calling then your sim did not provision correctly. Only the moderators can fix this.....but you could try suspending your service using lost stolen in your account. Log out. Wait 1 min. Log in . Resume service by reporting it found. Log out. Reboot phone. If it doesnt work you'll have to wait for a moderator.

Thom20

Hey Gpixel4, I've tried that method as well. It didn't fix it.

@Helpershelper 

The moderators do not ask you for your account #. This would be a red flag for me. If you are porting a number in then they require the account # of your previous provider, the phone number to be ported in from that account and the name on the account.

If it's for pm account verification then you should supply the moderators with the full name and address on the account, email, phone # and pin#. If you cannot remember the pin # then supplying other (3 minimum) identifiers from your account are in order such as your d.o.b. or alternate ph # (if any.)

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Thom20 check to see if "call barring" is enabled

• open your dialer app
  • tap on the three dots in the upper right corner
  • tap settings>more settings>call barring>voice call
  • make sure they are all disabled

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Thom20 

It seems like it did not properly go through. In any case, you will need to send a private message to the Moderator_Team with your account info.

you will be asked for 1) Your account number and 2) Your PIN number

@Thom20 It sounds like you are porting or bringing you old number in. A stuck port is likely, unless you are coming from a landline or VOIP which can take up to 7 days. As indicated by @JoyLuck , the moderators can help sort you out.

Thom20

Thanks Joy! I'll try to contact them.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@Thom20 

Here’s how to contact the Moderator Team (Public Mobile representative) for assistance:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Choose the question mark ? in the lower right hand corner and follow the prompts.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.
Need Help? Let's chat.