cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to make calls with no error

KaranN
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi Guys ,

I am using Xiomi Redmi 3s prime and just inserted public mobile SIM card.  Its showing me full network coverage , but I am unable to make calls . 

Doesn't even give any error . 

I checked, my cellphone supports BAND 7 (2600 MHZ) which is supoosupp by public mobile . So trying to understand what cloud be wrong here .

17 REPLIES 17

KaranN

Then its time for a new phone . Thanks guys.  This was helpful.  

Actually, even if VoLTE was enabled today, Telus probably wouldn't allow it on Xiaomi phones.

They are extremely conservative with VoLTE device approval. iPhones and Samsung models are the most likely to get VoLTE, along with a few other models like LG and Pixel devices. I wouldn't count on grey market phones getting VoLTE any time soon.

@KaranNIf you want VoLTE you would have to upgrade one tier up to Koodo.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

@KaranN wrote:

Okay, but why does PM have to use 3G for voice ? the sim is 4G enabled then  shouldn't it be using 4G Volte Band 5 . I hope I am asking a correct layman question. 

This is simply for the reason that Public Mobile doesn't allow it.  Somewhere along the line, a business decision was made to not implement it or spend money on it.  It could also be to make it so that there is more of a difference among Telus-owned brands.

Probably just cheaping out if anything, I mean come on its Telus, lol

@KaranN wrote:

Okay, but why does PM have to use 3G for voice ? the sim is 4G enabled then  shouldn't it be using 4G Volte Band 5 . I hope I am asking a correct layman question. 

This is simply for the reason that Public Mobile doesn't allow it.  Somewhere along the line, a business decision was made to not implement it or spend money on it.  It could also be to make it so that there is more of a difference among Telus-owned brands.

@KaranN wrote:

@KaranN  PM does not support VoLTE. Telus and Koodo only support it. Time for a new phone or you need to switch providers and pay more.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

According to gsmarena, the global version should work.  If this phone has band 7 LTE, then it should also have the right 3G bands.  It is possible that the phone is connecting on band 5 LTE which the India model has.  My suggestion is try to select 3G as the preferred network and see if connectivity is lost.  If not, then the phone should work for calling.  

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_3s_prime-8250.php

One site says one thing while another says something different.  I too noticed that the global version reportedly has band 2 and 5 on UMTS, but it wouldn't be the first time that some websites have either made mistakes or not shown the frequencies for all possible versions.

Gsmarena is not that good with reporting models.  They do a pretty decent job on Xiaomi phones.  One of the problems I am seeing with willmyphonework is that they don't list the available bands for the selected service provider.  They show bands that are compatible to the selected device.  When a customer checks a device and sees no compatible bands, nothing is learned from the check.  The way compatibility should be presented is to show all the available bands from the carrier with a color scheme to show bands that are present on the selected phone.  

KaranN

@sheytoon wrote:

Hi @KaranN, as others have mentioned, your phone doesn't support the correct bands (B2 and B5) on 3G.

Very unusual that your phone supports B5 LTE, but not B5 UMTS/WCDMA. It's quite unfortunate.

Here are the official phone specs from the manufacturer: https://mobile.mi.com/in/redmi3s/#specs

Networks and 4G Dual SIM

Network Bands

4GFDD-LTE
TDD-LTE
B3 / B5
B40
3GWCDMA900MHz/2100MHz
2GGSM900MHz/1800MHz

A number of years ago, Xiaomi didn't produce that many global model phones and so lot were in circulation that works in India only.  The only compatible band in band 5 LTE.  Actually, it's serendipity that band 5 LTE became compatible through repurposing spectrum from 3G over to LTE service.  Fast forward to current times, Xiaomi global models now include band 4 and 2 LTE.  They haven't gotten to adding the 700 MHz bands yet.  

@will13am wrote:

According to gsmarena, the global version should work.  If this phone has band 7 LTE, then it should also have the right 3G bands.  It is possible that the phone is connecting on band 5 LTE which the India model has.  My suggestion is try to select 3G as the preferred network and see if connectivity is lost.  If not, then the phone should work for calling.  

One site says one thing while another says something different.  I too noticed that the global version reportedly has band 2 and 5 on UMTS, but it wouldn't be the first time that some websites have either made mistakes or not shown the frequencies for all possible versions.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

Hi @KaranN, as others have mentioned, your phone doesn't support the correct bands (B2 and B5) on 3G.

Very unusual that your phone supports B5 LTE, but not B5 UMTS/WCDMA. It's quite unfortunate.

Here are the official phone specs from the manufacturer: https://mobile.mi.com/in/redmi3s/#specs

Networks and 4G Dual SIM

Network Bands

4GFDD-LTE
TDD-LTE
B3 / B5
B40
3GWCDMA900MHz/2100MHz
2GGSM900MHz/1800MHz

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@KaranN Given the specs here, https://www.gadgetsnow.com/mobile-phones/Xiaomi-Redmi-3S-Prime , this phone will not work for voice calls on PM. Robot Sad PM requires 850/1900 on 3G for calling. 

Sim 14G Bands:TD-LTE 2300(band 40) FD-LTE 1800(band 3) / 850(band 5) 3G Bands: UMTS 2100 / 900 MHz  2G Bands: GSM 1800 / 900 MHz GPRS:Available EDGE:Available
Sim SizeSIM1: Micro, SIM2: Nano (Hybrid)
Sim 24G Bands: TD-LTE 2300(band 40) FD-LTE 1800(band 3) / 850(band 5)   3G Bands: UMTS 2100 / 900 MHz 2G Bands: GSM 1800 / 900 MHz GPRS:Available EDGE:Available

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@KaranN I cannot find detailed specs for that phone so it may be compatible with PM's network. Try the SIM in another unlocked phone to isolate the problem.

Confirm whether you are able to use data services if you included that in your plan.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@KaranN wrote:

Hi Guys ,

I am using Xiomi Redmi 3s prime and just inserted public mobile SIM card.  Its showing me full network coverage , but I am unable to make calls . 

Doesn't even give any error . 

I checked, my cellphone supports BAND 7 (2600 MHZ) which is supoosupp by public mobile . So trying to understand what cloud be wrong here .

@KaranN To make calls PM uses 3G band 2 and band 5.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire
@KaranN You need Band 2 and 5 on your phone to take advantage of 3G for voice
Need Help? Let's chat.