cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to get data working on lg g4

aataulla
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Have a koodo branded but network unlocked lg g4 on which I can't get data to work. Ported number from koodo and lte was working wonderfully on koodos system. Now for some reason or the other even after several hours of apn setting changes, restarts no data.... Voice and text work beautifully.

Data works on a different phone so I'm not sure where to go with this g4?

Any suggestions?
33 REPLIES 33

zero_gravity

Thanks for the help, got it working last night. Had to do a factory reset. Didn't even have to enter the APN settings which was surprising since this phone is on android 6. 

Thankfully the wife doesn't do a lot with her phone so there was very little to backup. Just contacts and photos. 

zero_gravity

Thanks for the help, I did try resetting network settings and wondered why I forgot that one.phone confirmed the reset....but just didn't do it. Everything is still there. Tried again, same result. Factory reset it is.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

EDIT: whoops, I should have read the full message before replying.  Please disregard.  Nothing to see here!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Thebigdmb

It is a bit of a pain to do backups/remove pics etc but I think the factory reset will work.  Short term pain....:)

@zero_gravity wrote:

Just set the wife up with PM and have the same issues. I've tried setting up the APN several times. I've done this with my phone's in the past. She also has an LG G4 coming from Koodo. Is there anything else to try before a factory reset?

Also, if a moderator can contact me that would be great. Coming from Koodo, had to select new phone number and need to port over the old one. Thanks.

@zero_gravity 

You will need to contact moderator via private messaging.  

Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Try the network reset first.  If that does not work, factory reset.  LG phones often need factory reset.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@zero_gravity wrote:

Just set the wife up with PM and have the same issues. I've tried setting up the APN several times. I've done this with my phone's in the past. She also has an LG G4 coming from Koodo. Is there anything else to try before a factory reset?

Also, if a moderator can contact me that would be great. Coming from Koodo, had to select new phone number and need to port over the old one. Thanks.

Did you try to reset network settings on the phone? (Please note this will remove any saved WiFi networks, but it's a less drastic step to try before doing a factory reset.)

zero_gravity

Thebigdmb

I waa having the same issue with my LG G4.  Tried typing in all the parameters for APN setting but no go.  Finally found this article.  Backed everything up and did factory reset and data worked no problem!

srlawren

@hackbrain890 wrote:

hi sire ma hayford from Ghana 

im a phone repair, someone gave me one of  the product to change the  charging sisterm but did not change it i use some spirit to brush it, since then the phone is off so i need  ya help about it 

@hackbrain890 just so you know, this community is for supporting the Canadian cell phone company called Public Mobile.  We are not a hardware support community.  You might want to look for an LG support community, or contact your local LG support center.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hackbrain890 wrote:

im a phone repair, someone gave me one of  the product to change the  charging sisterm but did not change it i use some spirit to brush it, since then the phone is off so i need  ya help about it 

May I suggest trying Google Translate from your preferred language to English and paste that here. This was difficult (for me) to understand. Maybe others can figure out what you're trying to say.

hackbrain890
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Lac you responded to a very old thread, note the year

In general LGs sometimes require factory reset as noted above regardless of APN

Lac

In mobile network settings go to APN settings from there add APN.  Under name type in internetfreedom, all small letters no spaces. Click okay. Now you will see underneath name it will say APN click that type in internet.freedommobile.ca all small letters no spaces. Click okay. Now look for the menu tab which is located at the top right of the screen click on it , click save. This should solve your problem with no data

franknarf8
We managed not make my gf's LG g4 phone work with these steps : https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-set-up-data-APN-on-my-smartp...

Enjoy!

srlawren

@muixsnxsu First of all, you replied to thread that hasn't been active in nearly 2 months, which means the problem is long ago resolved.  Secondly, some of the LG G series have a known issue when switching carriers, which requires a factory reset to resolve and get data working.  This is the only known solution so any of those other steps you listed are unlikely to help.

muixsnxsu
  • Power off your device completely, then power it back on
  • Make sure you have a network connection (if you have No Service click here)
  • Go to Settings > Mobile data and make sure Mobile data is ON and there is no data block
  • Go to Settings > More > Mobile networks > Access point names
  • Tap on Menu > Reset to default
  • After resetting your APNs, select the one that belongs to your provider.
    If you have no APN set up or you're unsure of what the settings should look like,
    click here for APN settings or visit LG G4 Manual for your Carrier's APN settings.

srlawren

@kotoula all other things being equal--and being that it's a Koodo phone that rules out incompatibility and network lock issues, so I think they are--the factory reset should get you working with data again.  

kotoula

Ok so I am now having this problem with a Koodo G4 as well. PM sim works fine on an old Oneplus One (no LTE tho) but zero data after all kinds of tech support including phone calls with PM. Thanks to them for being responisve, it only took a couple of days.   I'm gathering from this thread that the only possible solution is to do a complete factory reset. I will try that and report back. How frustrating! I lost my Samsung S5 Neo and now have to resort to the G4. Not happy. I need to get another S5 Neo...

babababa

Hey guys, any solution other than factory reset? LG G4 is the worst phone of all times 😞 No root on Marshmallow and now this.. How can you mess up the APN settings that much 😞 

If I do the LG backup, it wont save the settings for the apps.. correct? 😞 I need root for that.. Once I restore from backup it will install the APK's as if I install them for the first time..

I stopped at a wind mobile store earlier today and my data was not working with wind mobile sim.. calls and texts were ok.. my LG G4 H812 is unlocked 😞 I regret porting my number from Koodo

And of course no reply to my emails from Public Mobile for 10 days.. but I have a welcome survey email from them lol

Rossatoni

Have a G4 tried everyting trying to get my data to work, Tried the factory reset as a last resort and Poof like magic, it started working right away for whatever reason. Just giving a heads up to anyone else having the same problem.

Pleased you are finally good to go.

So far that is the only fix folks have reported. Smiley Sad

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

souvik126

Finally had to reset the phone and bingo the APN is automatically set and data connection is perfect now. Well I have to say LG G4 has some issue with APN settings. Even network reset does not work and only way out till date is phone reset. Would be happy if someone can find a easier way. 

souvik126

Same issue. Upgraded from LG G3 to G4 and data stopped working. Have tried all means and even network reset but the data wont come up. Am going to try phone reset now. 

srlawren

My apologies, @aataulla...I did not mean to imply that anyone was inept or that they should not use the factory reset method to resolve this issue.  No offense was intended.

aataulla

@srlawren wrote:

@makkahn28 it's entirely possible that there is something less destructive that fixed it, but that the factory reset also included that change.  E.g. reset the networking options back to default or something.  Marshmallow lets your reset your networking config, that might have done it if the phone is on Marshmallow.  But of course a factory reset would to that, and more.

I wish I could agree and all logic and theory would suggest you're right. But I (like the guy/girl in the previous thread) tried evey possible way, reset everything including networking options as suggested by one of the authors before you. Nothing worked. The funny part is that the phone pulled the apn settings automatically on first reboot after factory reset and I myself couldnt register mobile data on the same APN settings before. After the factory reset I could add remove apns and the phone behaviour became completely normal working 100% as expected.

To summarize your post and this thread: The person reading this post in the future has two options either (a) assume that both previous posters were inept and there is a simpler way to get data working on a public mobile LG G4 in which case you should read above posts and/or keep googling or (b) with minimial loss of the customizations you made to your settings, simply use the LG Backup and Restore feature before and after doing a factory reset.

srlawren

@makkahn28 it's entirely possible that there is something less destructive that fixed it, but that the factory reset also included that change.  E.g. reset the networking options back to default or something.  Marshmallow lets your reset your networking config, that might have done it if the phone is on Marshmallow.  But of course a factory reset would to that, and more.

That's very odd, that a Factory reset is required to enable Data, but ok. Hopefully its NOT all LG phones that require this step

@aataulla Thanks for the update; not everyone takes the time to inform the community when/how their issue is resolved.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

aataulla

Just an update for fellow LG and G4 owners. Nothing worked whatsoever untill I bumped into this thread alson on public mobile. Solution: Factory Reset

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/LG-G4-not-connected-to-cellular-data/t...

Detailed Solution: Do an LG backup and then a factory reset, data will start working, then restore your backup. Your phone will be "very close" to the way it was....

Thanks everyone!

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @aataulla

Sorry to hear that you're having a hard time getting your data to work.

As Luddite mentioned, there are quite a few steps you can take to make sure that everything is in order.

You stated that the data services are enabled on the SIM, but are they enabled on the device itself ?

Firstly, Go to Settings > Mobile data and make sure Mobile data is ON and there is no data block.

Then, go to Settings > More > Mobile networks > Access point names and set up the APN accordingly to PM. You need to be sure that they are properly set or the data will never work.

You can also try to reset your network settings (This is only available with the latest software update) :Go to Settings > Backup & reset

Select Network settings reset (be advised that this will delete your WIFI passwords)

Lastly, update the profile (if you are able to). Go to Settings>System Updates>Update Profile.

Let us know if the issue persists,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **
Need Help? Let's chat.