cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Get Voicemail working

Koombassi
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I recently activated my wife's phone and I'm getting Unknown Error message when attempting to access Voicemail. Tried long-pressing 1 and same error message. Did I miss a step setting up the phone?

19 REPLIES 19

jivetalker

@Nezgar 

Thanks for the tip on Youmail. Sounds interesting I will have to look into it.

@Koombassi  Yeah don't need the app, unless you get a lot of spam/junk/robocalls their app "may" help auto-decline them.

Otherwise just sign up using the web page. As part of the activation since Public Mobile isn't on the list choose Telus or Rogers, and they'll give you three codes to dial to redirect all types of missed calls.

To complete setup, their system will call you, which you don't answer, for them to confirm the calls route to them properly.

Koombassi

@Nezgar 

Youmail. Very interesting. Visited their website and read a separate review. I noticed you mentioned that it is not necessary to download their app. How does that work?

@Koombassi 

Our resident expert @Nezgar  knows all about voicemail, call forwarding etc....on your phone. So tag them when you have a question in that related field. Usually appears within minutes via a transporter. Unless it's on the blink then you might have to wait a little longer.

@Koombassi you're welcome, glad to be of service, and welcome to Public Mobile. 😁

Now that you're sorted, I recommend you check out Youmail - by changing your conditional call forward settings that normally direct missed calls to Public Mobiles voicemail system elsewhere. A free youmail account will send you your voicemails by email with a sound file attachment, and a text transcription too for the first 20 each month. No need to even install their app. Better than "visual voicemail" that costs money with the higher tier carriers.

No need to ever dial in to listen to voicemails again. 😋

Cheers - N

Koombassi

@Nezgar 

Bingo!!

excellent assistance, thank you very much for your solution and effort on this. 

@Koombassi  yes enter the asterisks and # too

Koombassi

@Nezgar @Thanks Nezgar. Phone is IPhone XR. For the code you suggest entering, are the * (asterisk) included?

@Koombassi  pls scroll back to my previous post with instructions, for both iPhone and Android - you haven't mentioned which it is.

Koombassi

@Anonymous 

No # is displayed. It says Add a number and then jumps to error message. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Koombassi : While you were testing and typing, a couple replies showed up. Nezgar replied with some excellent information.

When you press and hold the 1 and it wants to dial, does it show what numbers or symbols it's trying to dial?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Koombassi 

try your SIM card in another device, if still not fix it,

Explain your issue to Contact Customer Support Agent by  ,
they can solve your issue, they are nice Service Team they will help you 100%.

Here’s How To Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,Click Here link,to get started.

• or you can send a private message to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, by Click Here link,
  • You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

• please include in your message,
  • your account number, 
  • your phone number,
  • your account 4 digit pin,
  • your Email address,

• Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
  • During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:
    • Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST

Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

Good Luck..

Koombassi

@Anonymous 

Here's what I've tried: 

- power on/off

- toggle airplane mode

- reseated SIM card. 
and now the only way to access voicemail is through PM access #. Long-press 1 still not working. Any thoughts?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Koombassi : Samsung A31 running A11: in dialer, 3 dots, Settings, Voicemail, Voicemail number. Set this to any of the numbers. You have Canada-wide so it doesn't really matter which one.

Maybe whatever phone and OS version you have has something similar.

Edit: The above is much more comprehensive.

@Koombassi wrote:

@Anonymous @Thanks for the suggestion. Did what you suggested and it worked as far as using the PM access number. However when I sent my wife's phone another voicemail I still get the "error performing request, Unknown Error". This occurs when I press the Call Voicemail prompt shown on the screen. 

iPhone or Android? Normally it should be automatically set from the network, but you can try manual methods:

First, query your current voicemail deposit number by dialing any of these codes: *#61#  *#62# or *#67# - and note the number for use below, but technically you can use any of the Telus/Koodo/Public voicemail numbers across Canada here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-Numbers/m-p/498446/highlight/true#M106548

On android you might be able to dig into the settings in the phone app and edit the voicemail access number, ie something like:

Phone > Settings > Speed dial settings > 1 Voicemail > Setup > Voicemail number > +13065804001

for iPhone, dial the following code to set the number your phone calls when you hold "1" for voicemail: *5005*86*13065804001#

@Koombassi 

You will need to go to your phone settings to get your phone to call one of PM's voicemail  access phone numbers. Maybe try a reboot of phone or network reset of phone.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-N...

Koombassi

@Anonymous @Thanks for the suggestion. Did what you suggested and it worked as far as using the PM access number. However when I sent my wife's phone another voicemail I still get the "error performing request, Unknown Error". This occurs when I press the Call Voicemail prompt shown on the screen. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Koombassi 

you can try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and do again Rebooting your phone,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

and try to make call to your number,

for Set Up Voicemail visit Here link,

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Koombassi : The voicemail access number should have populated at SIM-insertion. Try calling 17785804001 to make sure your voicemail inbox is there. Then you'll need to set the voicemail access number so that pressing and holding 1 gets you there.

Need Help? Let's chat.