cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Un-used Data?

CMOADMIN
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Keeping fair use policies in mind, assuming auto-pay is in effect on the account, wouldn't it be a sweet thing if previous un-used data was carried over? 

Or is this already in place?

If not, it would be an amazing selling feature to those that already see the simplicity in the pre-paid services/plans PM offers and entice more people to go and stick with AP option. 

8 REPLIES 8

barbiekangaroo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

A creative idea for Telus to gain a competitive edge on other value MVNO's, but I do see a problem with this system:

Operators rent bandwidth knowing that not all data sold will be used. This allows them to sell more data access without paying for extra infrastructure or suffer a lack of bandwidth. With the banking system in place, more data sold will be used, increasing load on the network.

Along with increased utilization of data, it will encourage users to go for lower-priced plans then save up for months when they need more. By using the banking system, Telus misses out on selling more high-priced plans, thus hurting their own revenue.

CMOADMIN

Thank you for taking the time to offer your opinion. 🙂

I thought we squished those points in previous comments with the required active account, over xx dollars, additional data add-on could be purchased, and any roll over data is on a cap. 

Perhaps it "Makes no sense from a quick easy business perspective" is what you mean to say? 

Is new plan xx change greater than current xx, if yes carry previous month bank data (equal to but no greater than amount of data in current plan) to new plan. 

I see a win/win ... As is with any business or contract some "conditions apply".

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Makes no sense from a business perspective. Not hard to create unfunded liabilities. Someone accumulates a bank on a specific rate plan and then rates change or they change plans. You then need to pay out the data at a rate different than what it was earned. Or, if you make banks expire on plan change, customers won't move off obsolete plans because they don't want to lose their banks.

It's up to the customer to buy what they need, not the company to carry their decision to overbuy as a liability. 

CMOADMIN

Before greed took over the internet and networks there was a set fee for dial up connection and no limit to up/down aside from the limitations of the hardware of the dial up and nic devices.

19.99 or AOL. 14kb etc. (Lol hackers!) 

There was no cap or limitations aside from as mentioned hardware, but then someone decided to improve the technologies and  gaming and corporate face time exp *all fairly simple to understand so I won't bore u with what I assume most understand and know. 

So.... Now we have hardware capabilities and a wide open internet. 

Consider the vast possibilities and endless transfers suddenly pulsating thru the wires of DSL... We've given away free communication. Now how do we monitor it? That's gonna cost money. So its time to meter it and charge the end users to fund the project dev yet again. Its common business practice. 

Roll over data -even though capped if need be- IMO, is a way to thank the customers that invest with you, for having done so and continuing to do so.  

CMOADMIN

Quite the opposite actually. It could be something that applies to 50+/mo. Personally I think that is a more expensive package or at the least mid range. No?

While there are those that stream or use a large amount of data in a short period they will still use up their data monthly. Still need to buy more or have to wait til the cycle renews.

Those that surf at random using smaller amounts of data just bank data but pull at the banked data it is at a cap'd-rate, or fair use as it is referred to.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CMOADMIN: I agree. Way back in the dark ages pre-internet there were these things called BBS's for bulletin board systems where you bought time online. The good ones let you bank unused time for future use.

It's not unlike add-ons now but if it covered talk minutes, texts and data I think it would be a tremendous competitive advantage.

Sigh. Like that'll ever happen.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@CMOADMIN wrote:

Keeping fair use policies in mind, assuming auto-pay is in effect on the account, wouldn't it be a sweet thing if previous un-used data was carried over? 

Or is this already in place?

If not, it would be an amazing selling feature to those that already see the simplicity in the pre-paid services/plans PM offers and entice more people to go and stick with AP option. 

It would be nice but at what cost? Would you be ok wit paying a little more? It would make people take the lower plans, meaning that prices go up.

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Sweet yes, although does any Canadian prepaid carrier offer this kind of thing?

Need Help? Let's chat.