cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming problem

Greyhair
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I purchased US roaming today. The money was taken from my account but the roaming wasn't added on. Can't use my phone at all now. What do I do??

Ken

10 REPLIES 10

@Greyhair 

FYI both telus and rogers use at&t as their roaming partners in the US. Pm has two so you have the ability to switch providers when you enter service areas not provided by one or the other. So you actually get better service coverage while roaming in the US with pm but it does take a little work on your part to choose the provider that best serves the region you are travelling in at the time.

@Greyhair  another thing, while Roaming is easy to use but it usually is costly no matter while provider you use.   When you go there next time, consider getting a US data sim there.  It is a lot cheaper and provider you with more data.   Some will also setup a VoIP app (like Fongo to TextNow) for easy  calling back home for free. 

@Greyhair 

Check your payment history. Does it show your added payment of $20? Does it show a debit for the $20 US roaming add on? If it does check if it shows in your overview page?  If it does show and didn't work or if it doesn't appear there then contact the moderators for a credit back to your account. If the $20 remains in your balance then it was never used and available to be used towards your next renewal.

When you did have service in the US were you manually selecting either at&t or T-Mobile? You must do this to get better reception. Leaving it on automatic will result in your phone switching back and forth between providers resulting in spotty service.

Roaming with other providers is seamless but on average it cost $9 per day to access your current plan services to a maximum of $120 per month. So 10 days of US roaming service will cost your plan price + (10×$9)=$90 vs pm plan cost ( but not used)+$20 (or less)=$20

@Greyhair   For getting the money back, you can contact Mod:

(After you open a ticket with mod, please monitor your Community inbox, envelope on the top right.  Mod will communicate with you via messaging within Community)

1. For faster response (2 to 48 hours), Click on the bubble in the lower right corner and request moderator assistance, or you can also use this direct link instead https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot , then type "Submit a ticket", select Account-specific issue, then select I need a human now. Follow the prompts to submit a ticket.

2. Or you can Send a private message to the moderator here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

In terms of unable to use the data, you might have to choose a different US provider manually when searching for the network.   AT&T and T-Mobile.  Your phone might auto selected one but your phone might not have chosen the best one for you.

Greyhair
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for your comments.

I did what you suggested already. The money was in my account. I purchased the roaming package ($20). It came out of my account. The roaming wasn't working so I rebooted my phone. The roaming never showed as being applied to my account even though they took the money. So for the last 3 days of our trip I had no phone.

Lesson learned. I'll change providers next time when I'm going to need roaming as clearly Public is unreliable with roaming. I also found a lot of times I had no service when others in our group did. They were using other providers with better roaming connections.

Puublic owes me $20 back for service not provided but paid for. How do I get the money back?

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Greyhair wrote:

I purchased US roaming today. The money was taken from my account but the roaming wasn't added on. Can't use my phone at all now. What do I do??

Ken

@Greyhair  Have you resolved "Can't use my phone at all now."?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greyhair : No need for a moderator. It's a non-intuitive 2 steps. 1. add money, 2. buy add-on. Yes it looks like you're buying an add-on but you're really only just adding money. Then you buy the add-on "again".

@Greyhair 

You have to add funds to your account balance first then select, confirm and submit the payment to purchase the add on. When you log into your self serve account do you see the funds in your balance that were charged to your credit card?  If so go back and purchase the add on. It will then appear on your overview page and in your payment history.

Log out. Reboot your phone. You may have to manually select at&t or T-mobile.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Greyhair 

Purchase an add on is a two step process.  Need to first load the funds into available balance, then actually purchase the add on.  You probably loaded the funds.  Now you will need to purchase the actual add on.

Here is some more information:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/purchase-add-ons-through-self-serve

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Greyhair 

Try powering off the phone for a couple of minutes then turn it back on.

Also check your self serve account to see if the USA roaming was added to your account.

If not, contact a moderator by clicking on the SIMon chat button and ask to contact a moderator.

Need Help? Let's chat.