cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming

PierreDaigle
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

how do I block US roaming charges on a Samsung J3. Only a river separates my town from the US.

11 REPLIES 11

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@PierreDaigle :Did any of the replies posted here on this thread you created help solve your problem? Follow up and let everyone know.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@PierreDaigle 

1. Open Settings>Connections>mobile networks>network operators>disable automatically select network

2. Search for networks

3. Tap the network you would like(Public Mobile)
4. Restart your phone

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yeah, I think the question is more like 'how to prevent connecting to roaming network' and I'm not sure if there is a way, at least not on my iPhone. Unless what @cavemantoronto said earlier works. Worth to try.. 

As if it is about charges, it's been answered already. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

That's the great thing about public mobile, @PierreDaigle , you can't be charged for anything you didn't purchase in advance.  It's all prepaid. 

The ability to use your phone in the USA for texting and calling requires a pre-purchased US add-on;  if you did not purchase this, the phone will simply not be able to be used if your phone is connected to a network outside Canada.

@kb_mv wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

I believe that the concern here isn't about roaming charges but that when a phone detects a much stronger signal from the roaming carrier, it will connect to the other carrier. If that happens, the only thing that will work is incoming text messgaes unless a roaming add-on purchase is made. 

@computergeek541 I referred to US roaming charges as that's what the OP asked about.

"@PierreDaigle wrote:

how do I block US roaming charges on a Samsung J3. Only a river separates my town from the US."

Granted I had not considered the phone not working because it hooked up to a US a tower.

You're right. Maybe, I should have said that should be the concern (yes, I missed the "charges" word in the first post).

@computergeek541 wrote:

I believe that the concern here isn't about roaming charges but that when a phone detects a much stronger signal from the roaming carrier, it will connect to the other carrier. If that happens, the only thing that will work is incoming text messgaes unless a roaming add-on purchase is made. 

@computergeek541 I referred to US roaming charges as that's what the OP asked about.

"@PierreDaigle wrote:

how do I block US roaming charges on a Samsung J3. Only a river separates my town from the US."

Granted I had not considered the phone not working because it hooked up to a US a tower.

@kb_mv wrote:

@PierreDaigle wrote:

how do I block US roaming charges on a Samsung J3. Only a river separates my town from the US.

@PierreDaigle There are no US roaming charges unless you buy the US roaming package. If you don't buy it, you don't pay for it regardless of whether it works or not.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@PierreDaigle wrote:

@PierreDaigle There are no US roaming charges unless you buy the US roaming package. If you don't buy it, you don't pay for it regardless of whether it works or not.

@stevenanto wrote:

@PierreDaigle 

Click on apps, settings, mobile networks, then click on data roaming. Then finally click on deny data roaming access then ok

hope this helps. 

That doesn't blcok roaming. That only blocks data use while roaming but that doesn't matter because there are no extra charges. The phone would still connect the U.S. network.and phone would still be unusable without roaming add-on.  

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@PierreDaigle 

Click on apps, settings, mobile networks, then click on data roaming. Then finally click on deny data roaming access then ok

hope this helps. 

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@PierreDaigle wrote:

The only way is to use manual network setting. Do that and choose the Public Mobile network to tell your phone to only connect to Public Mobile's network. 

Need Help? Let's chat.