cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming options, and a couple of other newbie things

sunkmail
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

New here, and haven't actually switched over to PM.

Still doing research to make sure its right for us.

My wife and I make occasional day trips to the US and I'm curious how the US roaming add-ons would work given a couple of scenarios. These ideas are really only for day-trips, not a longer holiday where the 10-day add-on makes more sense. 🙂

(Most of the time when we go down we are right with each other, so having both phones with a 10-day add-on seems like overkill for a day trip.)

with that in mind, here are a couple of ideas:

1) I get the Add-on and my wife forwards her phone to mine (before leaving Canada)

- Would anyone calling either of us come through on my phone?

- Would any calls being forwarded from her number show up on my caller ID as her number or the one actually making the call?

2) If we are thinking we don't need coverage at all, but want to have options ...

- Can an add-on be activated from a free wifi hotspot while in the US?

- If we go for a talk only option, but decide we really need data for something (or vice-versa), can an add-on be 'upgraded'?

ie, If we have a 'talk Only' add-on, can we add a 'Data Only' Add-on, or will that screw things up?

3) To confirm ...

- An active PM account can RECEIVE texts while in the US without an active roaming Add-on, correct?

As a related, but separate question regarding provincial Vs Nationwide calling ...

Generally, we make very few out of province calls, however, we are plannning a trip to a different province in the summer and want to be fully connected to our families at home....

If I understand how PM works, I can switch my plan over to a Canada-Wide plan for the time period we are going to be away, then switch it back once we return, correct?

(I would be using the Auto-renew thing, not wanting to pay for switching mid-service period.)

Lastly, If I am using a LD add-on and I happen to run out of minutes during my call, is there any warning?  Does my call just drop?

Thanks for your help

15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sunkmail 

Re: conflicting answers. (dang editing on a mobile browser can be a hassle) 

There are several peculiarities around here. Some official some not. I'm not sure if it's official that one can receive texts in the states but I did this past January. 

Just test and verify things and you might enjoy the surprise. 

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@sunkmail wrote:

My wife and I make occasional day trips to the US and I'm curious how the US roaming add-ons would work given a couple of scenarios. These ideas are really only for day-trips, not a longer holiday where the 10-day add-on makes more sense. 🙂

I would love it if there was a 24 hour US roaming add on. We also do day trips fairly often and would probably use it every time if there was one. And considering something like 90% of the country lives within 100 miles of the border I would think there would be further demand for it.

@sunkmail wrote:

Thanks for the info, especially @geopublic @mimmo & @Anonymous !

Couple more clarifications, if you don't mind.

@geopublic wrote:

@sunkmail wrote:

1) I get the Add-on and my wife forwards her phone to mine (before leaving Canada)

Yes.

To confirm, my wife's phone doesn't need an US add-on in this scenario?

Yes, that is correct you're wife's phone does not need a US roaming add-on.

Yes, there is also a 1-855-4public that you can use while in the US if Wi-Fi is not available.

Edit: Thanks @mimmo for the number.

I'm assuming a US Roaming talk add-on would be required to use the phone number, correct?

Correct, if you need to be reached at your numberyour while in the US the talk add-on will be required.

3) To confirm ...

- An active PM account can RECEIVE texts while in the US without an active roaming Add-on, correct?

Yes.

This seems to be a question that has conflicting answers.  It appears 'Yes' is the census, but there are some saying 'no'. 

Has anyone personally tried this recently? 

The answer is Yes

If I understand how PM works, I can switch my plan over to a Canada-Wide plan for the time period we are going to be away, then switch it back once we return, correct?

Yes. Maybe a Canada Wide plan will be a better option why switch back?

(I would be using the Auto-renew thing, not wanting to pay for switching mid-service period.) Good strategy Smiley Happy

Depending on which plan, some have Canada Wide for the same as Provence Wide, others don't.  If its the same, obviously will stick with Canada Wide. 🙂

OK, I can't get my cursor below the quote part ... This is a weird forum software. Smiley Tongue

We are currently on a unlimited Canada Wide talk, Unlimited Text and 6GB of shared Data between us.  We never get anywhere near the data limit since we are mostly covered by WiFi (most of the time).  The only reason we have this much data is that the corporate plan we are on had all the extra data for less than a smaller amount on the public plans.

I'm looking at one of the 3G options, as we don't really watch videos or anything else that requires a fast connection when not on WiFi, but unlimited talk is required, as we don't have a landline.

It would be great if PM offered a 1-day or other shorter period (3-Day?) for US roaming. I'd really only need the phone for emergency contacts while in the US.   From what i've seen on the forums, this isn't going to be an option anytime soon.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

you can can enable /disable call forwarding in the usa as you have network connection

no you can call that 1855 number from teh usa without an addon.

incoming sms are free no addon is neede to receive sms only send them, as long as you are connected to the partner network 

also dont forget to use teh first number as a referal for the second you you will get 1$/month and teh second will get 10$

if you need one for your first account. ask someone in this thread via private message.

sunkmail
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for the info, especially @geopublic @mimmo & @Anonymous !

Couple more clarifications, if you don't mind.

@geopublic wrote:

@sunkmail wrote:

Yes.

To confirm, my wife's phone doesn't need an US add-on in this scenario?

Yes, there is also a 1-855-4public that you can use while in the US if Wi-Fi is not available.

I'm assuming a US Roaming talk add-on would be required to use the phone number, correct?

3) To confirm ...

Yes.

This seems to be a question that has conflicting answers.  It appears 'Yes' is the census, but there are some saying 'no'. 

Has anyone personally tried this recently? 

(I would be using the Auto-renew thing, not wanting to pay for switching mid-service period.) Good strategy Smiley Happy

Depending on which plan, some have Canada Wide for the same as Provence Wide, others don't.  If its the same, obviously will stick with Canada Wide. 🙂

OK, I can't get my cursor below the quote part ... This is a weird forum software. Smiley Tongue

We are currently on a unlimited Canada Wide talk, Unlimited Text and 6GB of shared Data between us.  We never get anywhere near the data limit since we are mostly covered by WiFi (most of the time).  The only reason we have this much data is that the corporate plan we are on had all the extra data for less than a smaller amount on the public plans.

I'm looking at one of the 3G options, as we don't really watch videos or anything else that requires a fast connection when not on WiFi, but unlimited talk is required, as we don't have a landline.

It would be great if PM offered a 1-day or other shorter period (3-Day?) for US roaming. I'd really only need the phone for emergency contacts while in the US.   From what i've seen on the forums, this isn't going to be an option anytime soon.

@geopublic  a écrit :

@Anonymous wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

Why was my reply deleted?Smiley Sad

Which reply? Sometimes if you make several rapid edits then the post disappears.

Re: the call forwarding...I tried it a few days ago and it shows the source caller. Try it yourself. 🙂

Mods fixed it. Apparently if you edit a post more than once it gets classified as spam. Who knew!!

I already edited a post 2 or 3 times with no problem...but sometimes...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

Which reply? Sometimes if you make several rapid edits then the post disappears.

Re: the call forwarding...I tried it a few days ago and it shows the source caller. Try it yourself. 🙂

Mods fixed it. Apparently if you edit a post more than once it gets classified as spam. Who knew!!

I seem to think it's more like a few edits in a short amount of time.

@Anonymous wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sunkmail  great questions and greatyou are doing research.

justto add to @Anonymous  replies

1) you can buy addons via the phone as long as you have a cc on file ( or enough funds) and know the account pin.  you just need to call 18554public from your phone while in the usa.

2) yes you can switch plans if planning ahead just futuredate the plan change, if its a planned vacation.  but most current plans come with canada calling.  

3) what  plan were you thinnking of getting,not to rush you but some of the current plans are being discontinued $25 call text and 500+500 data + 2 others.

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi, i read your questions, maybe if you travel to the USA alot is to have a dual SIM phone. 

You could have Public Mobile in Canada, and another US SIM , for use there.

US travel SIM cards are available at Canadian office supply stores.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
@sunkmail
1. I'm not positive about calls forwarded to a cell in the US, but I think that would only work if your wife's cell has US calling on her plan, someone else may have a better idea
2. You can get more than one addon, but it can mess things up if you get multiple similar addons (eg. 2 US data addons), 1 call and 1 data should be fine
3. No, without a US roaming addon you will not be able to receive texts or call while in the US.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sunkmail wrote:

(Most of the time when we go down we are right with each other, so having both phones with a 10-day add-on seems like overkill for a day trip.)

Yes.

- Would any calls being forwarded from her number show up on my caller ID as her number or the one actually making the call?

The one actually making the call.

2) If we are thinking we don't need coverage at all, but want to have options ...

Yes.

- If we go for a talk only option, but decide we really need data for something (or vice-versa), can an add-on be 'upgraded'?

Added. Not upgraded per se.

ie, If we have a 'talk Only' add-on, can we add a 'Data Only' Add-on, or will that screw things up?

Yes. (no)

3) To confirm ...

Yes.

As a related, but separate question regarding provincial Vs Nationwide calling ...

Generally, we make very few out of province calls, however, we are plannning a trip to a different province in the summer and want to be fully connected to our families at home....

(I would be using the Auto-renew thing, not wanting to pay for switching mid-service period.)

It would be uneconomical to do short term plan changes. It's prepaid for a term. No refunds or pro-rating.

Lastly, If I am using a LD add-on and I happen to run out of minutes during my call, is there any warning?  Does my call just drop?

You'll get a text with maybe 10 minutes remaining. And then it just drops. There's a possibility in the back of my mind that suggests there might be a tone with 1 minute left but I also might be thinking of those long distance calling cards.

Thanks for your help

ninja'd by geopublic 🙂

But since I went to the effort I'll leave it.

Edit: but I would think that using the roaming for just one day would barely be worth it.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@sunkmail wrote:

Yes.

Her number (but not 100% sure)

Edit: According to @Anonymous  the one who's making the call. Go with his answer he seems 100%Smiley Happy

Yes (see above)

Should be ok, as long as it's not the same add-on you currently have.

3) To confirm ...

Yes.

Lastly, If I am using a LD add-on and I happen to run out of minutes during my call, is there any warning?  Does my call just drop? Yes.

Thanks for your help

A good reference article for US roaming can be found here.

Need Help? Let's chat.