Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming Package - receiving calls from Canada

LRodopoulos
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

Just some clarification:

I know from reading an earlier message that while you are in the USA and within that 10 days that you activate the US Roaming package for $20, you can make a call to any Canadian number, just about any American number*, and also receive calls from anywhere in the world. * the excluded exchanges can be found here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Which-U-S-area-codes-are-not-supported-...

But if someone from Canada phones me (on my regular cell number) while I am in the US (using the Roaming package for talk/text and data)....will they (the person phoning me from Canada) be charged long distance fees?

Thanks in advance for any information.

18 REPLIES 18

@LRodopoulos 

I am just commenting because you had basically asked that question the day before which is the original post of this thread and answered 10 minutes later by @computergeek541 followed by me and my one finger typing 12 minutes after that and so on.......but hey I didn't merge your thread and your free to choose whatever solution you like it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to someone looking for the solution to your original question which they may be seeking..... but I'm sure they will be happy your mom won't be out of pocket to call you while you are out roaming around.

pkara01

There is another topic on dashboard with the same kind of question.

Apart form all the answers you have read under this topic, I would say If they are calling Canada number and you receive that call out of Canada, they wont be charged for international call but you have to have a plan for international roaming or it is not going to be cost effective.

Call them back from other apps like skype or whatsapp. These two I have used in the past while abroad.

LRodopoulos

@darlicious 

The original question I asked was:

"But if someone from Canada phones me (on my regular cell number) while I am in the US (using the Roaming package for talk/text and data)....will they (the person phoning me from Canada) be charged long distance fees?

Thanks in advance for any information."

And @Dunkman answered it very clearly with:

"@LRodopoulos 

No extra charges for your mother to call you or to receive the call from you."

--> The "different thread merged together" was a researched quote from the Community site establishing that the call that would originate from the US would be covered under the US Roaming package that I will purchase (I put this in just so responders were clear that I already understood that calls I made from the US were included in the roaming package).

No cause for confusion or issues. 

Thank you to all who already responded and provided clarity, I appreciate your efforts!  I have a clear answer and solution and do not need any further clarification. Cheers!

????

Six respondents, 5 correct answers, 4 regulars, 3 clarifications, 2 oracles and 1 solutiom that answers a slightly different questions asked in a different thread merged together but makes no sense to anyone searching for the solution to the original question asked.

@LRodopoulos wrote:

But what if my Mom initiates the call and tries phoning me on my cell phone (Canadian number) while I am in the US (using the PM Roaming package)...will she pay long distance charges? (She has Canada-wide free long distance but not to the US with her Rogers landline.)

Hi. This was answered earlier. That you're in the U.S. with your Canadian phone number doesn't make any difference for your mom trying to call you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LRodopoulos : Your mother is calling a Canadian number that she is able to call. It's the network that will find your phone.

LRodopoulos

@Dunkman --> Many thanks, very helpful! 🙂

@LRodopoulos wrote:

@Anonymous --> Thanks! 🙂

So just to clarify....

If I initiate the call and phone her..."Your mother won't be charged anything extra. The network will find you. You can call anywhere in Canada/US (with some exceptions)."

But what if my Mom initiates the call and tries phoning me on my cell phone (Canadian number) while I am in the US (using the PM Roaming package)...will she pay long distance charges? (She has Canada-wide free long distance but not to the US with her Rogers landline.)

Thanks very much! 🙂

@LRodopoulos 

No extra charges for your mother to call you or to receive the call from you.  

LRodopoulos

@Anonymous --> Thanks! 🙂

So just to clarify....

If I initiate the call and phone her..."Your mother won't be charged anything extra. The network will find you. You can call anywhere in Canada/US (with some exceptions)."

Thanks very much! 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LRodopoulos : Your mother won't be charged anything extra. The network will find you. You can call anywhere in Canada/US (with some exceptions).

LRodopoulos

@hairbag1 

This is exactly what I need clarity with....My Mom does not have a cell phone and uses a landline with Rogers.  Her plan includes Canada-wide free long distance calls but not to the US.

So, if my Mom tries phoning my cell phone (Canadian number) while I am in the US (using the PM Roaming package) will she pay long distance charges?

If I phone her from the US to her home in Canada....I am assuming that this would be a free call on my end (and for her) if I am using the US Roaming package (ie. I can make calls locally in the US and call home to Canadian numbers in my city for free.)?

Many thanks for any further clarification and information!

Anonymous
Not applicable

dear @hairbag1 

visit Here and see what the say from  Oracle (‎12-22-2019 11:30PM)

All customers will hear the message if the call is Canadian long distance and the 1 isn't dialed.  This is controled from the Telus end, and the purpose of it is to inform custoemrs that there would be long distance charges at Koodo or Telus if long distance to that location isn't included in the plan. At the piont that message is played back, the system responsible for producing that message does not understand that there can't be extra charges at Public Mobile.

so my plan not have a Canada wide calling, when i do make call to anywhere that message is palyed and the call is not going through and is nothing charges apply because at Public Mobile Prepaid Service not have charges extra. is will not apply any extra charges, for any plan with Public Mobile.

@Anonymous wrote:

@hairbag1 

at Public Mobile Prepaid Service not have charges extra. is will not apply any extra chargers,

Right, you are.

Now...the person placing the call might have long distance charges, depending on their particular plan. Maybe they still have old land line or a different cell network that charges for long distance calls. Not everyone has free Canada wide calling, like PM.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hairbag1 

at Public Mobile Prepaid Service not have charges extra. is will not apply any extra chargers,

@Anonymous wrote:

@LRodopoulos 

if someone from Canada phones you (on your regular cell number) while you in the US is will not be charged long distance fees because you pay for the US Roaming package and the someone from Canada is will not paying any fees because the make call to your canadian number Free call.

Not so...if the caller doesn't have a Canada wide calling option on their cell plan and they're in a different area code...they could end up paying long distance charges on their end. Depends on the callers cell plan details.

Also, the caller might have an old land line that still has long distance toll charges ...if the caller is trying to call a number that isn't same area code...then long distance charges could, quite possibly, apply. I remember those days very well !!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LRodopoulos 

if someone from Canada phones you (on your regular cell number) while you in the US ,

is will not be charged long distance fees because you pay for the US Roaming package and the someone from Canada is will not paying any fees because the make call to your canadian number Free call.

@LRodopoulos 

Only if they have a province wide plan and your phone number is not from the same province as theirs otherwise all numbers with a Canada wide plan will have the call go thru. The province wide customer would get a message saying they need a long distance add on to complete the call.

If they have the $5/500 min add on or one of the "more the merrier" holiday gift calling add ons the call will go tnru seamlessly.

Edit:

My answer is referring to pm customers. Callers from other providers could be charged long distance if their phone number would normally get long distance charges while calling you at home.

@LRodopoulos wrote:

I know from reading an earlier message that while you are in the USA and within that 10 days that you activate the US Roaming package for $20, you can make a call to any Canadian number, just about any American number*, and also receive calls from anywhere in the world. * the excluded exchanges can be found here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Which-U-S-area-codes-are-not-supported-...

But if someone from Canada phones me (on my regular cell number) while I am in the US (using the Roaming package for talk/text and data)....will they (the person phoning me from Canada) be charged long distance fees?

Whether someone calling you is making a long distance call is based on where that person is making the call from and the city that your phone number is assigned to. Where you are is not a factor for the person callng you. It's the same for that person compared to if you were home.

Need Help? Let's chat.