cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two weeks later and still can't receive calls or sms

jendav
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It's been two weeks since I activated my SIM and the porting of my phone number is still broken. E.g., I can make outgoing calls and my number shows up, but I can't receive calls (they get a 'this number doesn't exist' message). Here's the more detailed history. Can any of you help?

Apr 11, 2017 -- activataed SIM

Apr 12, 2017 -- support request (#3264-4766) via SIM & Activation online form (number didn't fully port)

Apr 12, 2017 -- Text from Public Mobile "Public Mobile here: We're experiencing difficulties processing your request to move to Public Mobile. Please go to PublicMobile.ca, click Contact us and complete the SIM & Activation online form. Thanks." (I had just done that about 20 minutes before receiving the text message so I decided to give it another week)

Apr 18, 2017 -- support request (#5301-5581) via SIM & Activaton online form

Here is is Apr 26, 2017 and I still can't receive incoming calls/sms. I would prefer to have my phone working, but if Public Mobile can't do this, then please let me know how to request a refund. Thanks.

------------------

The first support request is below. The second request had the same info.

Apr 12, 2017 - Suport Request #3264-4766

Full Name: xxx

Email: xxx

Phone Number: xxx

Is your number still active with your previous provider? Unsure

When did you attempt to port in your phone number? Yesterday / Apr 11, 2017

What is the number you want to transfer? xxx

Please provide at least one (1) of the following: (i) Account Number, (ii) PIN, (iii) ESN / IMEI from your old provider Account Number: xxx

Please provide your Public Mobile SIM card number xxx

What happens when you attempt to make a call? 

I can make calls successfully and my correct number shows up on their end.

What happens when someone attempts to call you?
They get 'This number does not exist' message. Sorry, the number you're calling doesn't exist. Are you sure you're calling the right one?

Have you tried the SIM card in another phone? No

What shows on your phone when you insert the SIM card? Public Mobile

Is your old SIM card still active? Unsure

Question:
It seems like the port partially worked as I can make outgoing calls, but no one can call me. Also I cannot send/receive SMS (even though I followed the guide on setting up data).

1. Originally when I signed up I got a credit card error and a message saying that my credit card would not be charged.

2. I then tried to sign up again and got an invalid SIM error.

3. I then checked the credit card and saw that a payment HAD been posted.

4. I then put in the PM sim card, did the instructions in the guide for setting up data, and found that I could call my husband's phone.

5. At this point we thought it was a done deal so he put in a call to cancel my previous service (don't know if it's gone through or not yet)

6. Immediately after we realized I couldn't receive calls. Nor could I send/receive SMS.

7. I decided to wait until the next day (today), verified I can still send calls, can't receive calls and can't send/receive SMS and am now emailing you.

19 REPLIES 19

@MarieH wrote:

how do you go about choosing a new phone number if you've already put in the new sim card and activated an account with public mobil

Go into self serve: Plans and add-ons, change phone number

MarieH
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

how do you go about choosing a new phone number if you've already put in the new sim card and activated an account with public mobil

pszucs

I can send text and make calls ok.   Unable to receive calls or SMS text 

Please help...

Phil

didiva

Bonjour

J’ai reçu un texto me demandant de vous transmettre le # xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx de sa carte SIM. C’est pour le compte de Jeanne Robert,  compte #1000000xxxxxxx. Elle a de la difficulté à vous rejoindre. Son # 450 xxxxxxx est temporaire. On essaye sans résultat de transférer son # de Virgin (compte 100100xxxxxx) 514 xxxxxxx. Depuis presque 2 semaines. Je huis Diane Vallée déjà avec vous. C’est  moi qui a fais toutes les démarches. 

nicole197
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am having a similar issue. I ported my phone number and have my public mobile sim in my new phone and left my old sim in my old phone. Now some text messages come in on my old sim/phone and some come in on my new phone/sim. I can only recieve calls on my old sim but can make calls on my new sim. Please advise why the port did not fully work.

Kruetter

Indeed @Mary_M @Shazia_K @MarieHelene_L @Simon_O I have sent you all PM's with my phone number if one of you who gets to this first can handle it! Thanks!

jendav

I just did a search for 'can't send texts' and found http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Can-t-Receive-or-Send-Texts/m-p/150418...

"So for posterity the solution to this problem 99% of the time as far as I can tell is to ask a mod to help and they will resend your port."

Maybe @Mary_M  (a mod) can help?

Kruetter

My data is working fine its the SMS that isnt working at all currently

http://community.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Sorry-your-current-plan-does-not-include-text-messag...

That above link is another topic with my issue to a T

jendav

You being able to both make and receive calls indicates it's not the same problem I had, but I still have an idea that might help you: Did you try following the instructions in this guide to set up data on your phone?

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Setting-Up-Data-On-Your-Phone/ta-p/26

Also, and this is embarrassing, but I found out today...that when I did the online SIM port form twice...that Public Mobile had emailed me both times. The emails were in my spam folder. *facepalm*. But I still think it was nicer reaching out via this community regardless. 

Kruetter

I am having a VERY similar issue but I just activated a few minutes ago.

I got the notification that the port was succesful but when I try to send a text i keep getting told I dont have text on my plan which i do.

I can make and receive calls and my data is working fine. I have powered off my phone and reseated the SIM card multiple times all with no luck.

Halp? 

jendav

Yeah. I thought the port had completed as I was able to successfully make calls on my new phone with the PM sim with my correct number showing on the other end. It was only at that point my husband called to cancel my old service. Only after that point did we realize I couldn't receive calls. 

It's certainly a lesson learned for next time. 🙂

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

you're very welcome @jendav, I'm glad I could help =D

Cheers,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

@jendav wrote:
Is your number still active with your previous provider? Unsure 

What happens when someone attempts to call you?
They get 'This number does not exist' message. Sorry, the number you're calling doesn't exist. Are you sure you're calling the right one?

5. At this point we thought it was a done deal so he put in a call to cancel my previous service (don't know if it's gone through or not yet)

That last part was a big mistake.  You cannot port a number if is not currently active.  Since you say that you already called into your old provider and cancelled the service, you should know that you've lost all rights to transfer your phone number over.  You cannot port a phone number over from a a cancelled service.  Customers should never (well almost never) call to the old provider to get service cancelled.  That happens automatically as part of the number portability process.  And since the old provider seems to have accepted the cancellation request, that means that the number was not yet ported out  (it would have already been cancelled if it were).

With that said, "The number you are calling doesn't exist" is the exact wording in an attempt to be "cute"/different  that Wind/Freedom Mobile uses.   I don't know of any other carreir that uses that wording. This means that the phone number is in fact cancelled at the Freedom Mobile end, if that is in fact your old provider.

The only possible way you can have this phone number ported would be to have the old provider reactivate the old phone number.  Porting would then have be re-requested.  If you can't get the old provider to get your old phone number back, sorry, you're out of luck and you'll have to choose a new phone number.

jendav

Thanks for your help, Mary.

In short, for others who may read this, it's much better to post to this forum to ask for help than to use the online emailed forms. 

Thanks to all of you who provided support/advice. 🙂

collin1215
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Or you could message their Facebook group, they are pretty useful and I formative as well.

I had a friend who tried to sign up but is debit card kept getting declined. Was able to sort everything out and use the same card within an hour or so

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @jendav,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

I'm really sorry to hear that you haven't been able to receive any calls or texts. I really know how important it is to have functional services, let's have a look into it!

Have you recently ported your number? If so, it seems like the port failed  or it's stuck - please send me your phone number via private message and I'll make sure to fix it up for you asap!

Let's keep the conversation going,

Mary 

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

To receive a faster reply, I suggest you also contact the moderators through a private message. Instructions are here:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Modera...

Make sure to include your phone number and identify the problem as a stuck port. Hopefully they can get you back up and running before they are off shift today at 5:30 pm!

Kudos to you for having the patience to wait 2 weeks!!!

jendav

Thanks for notifying a mod. I wasn't sure how to do that. I really like the idea of Public Mobile being community based and so hope that a solution will be found.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

wow, 2 weeks are a very long time.  @Mary_M can you assist?

Need Help? Let's chat.