cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two questions about coming over from Telus

ExtraSlow
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I'm excited about coming over from telus, but I need to figure out a few things first.

1) I want to keep my current phone number, at what stage in the process do I do that?  After I have a SIM card and a plan activated?  

2) I have a small device balance still at telus, but it's about the same as the existing $25 freinds referral credit that a buddy is giving me.  I assume telus will just bill me that after the account closes there?  I don't have to call telus to make all that happen do I?

I guess  a third question is if anyone guesses or anticipates anything like the $60 online activation credit coming up again soon.  That was a sweet deal, but I was a little too slow. 

7 REPLIES 7

ExtraSlow

Just as a follow-up, My first device is now on Public and the process was pretty smooth.  I did as was suggested and got a brand new phone number first, then switched to my old telus number.  The "old" number was acive within about 5 minutes of me clicking the button on my laptop.  So that's nice and fast.  Zero issues.  

Will be activating my second device (wife's) this weekend.  

Thanks for the help everyone!  

ExtraSlow

Thanks everyone, that's very clear.  

NoCigar55
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I switched myself and my fiance over from Telus this past week.

We both kept our same numbers and in both cases, the port over was complete within 5 minutes. It can be easily done online yourself, or through the in-store representatives.

My device balance of 33 dollars was then added to my final bill from the now cancelled Telus account, and the current referral promotion covered most of it!

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ExtraSlow 

1..best to get your pm service up and working with a PM number..then port afterwards

2..you dont have to contact telus..after porting ..they will bill you anything outstanding

3..promos come and go..

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ExtraSlow wrote:

Hi, I'm excited about coming over from telus, but I need to figure out a few things first.

1) I want to keep my current phone number, at what stage in the process do I do that?  After I have a SIM card and a plan activated?  

2) I have a small device balance still at telus, but it's about the same as the existing $25 freinds referral credit that a buddy is giving me.  I assume telus will just bill me that after the account closes there?  I don't have to call telus to make all that happen do I?

I guess  a third question is if anyone guesses or anticipates anything like the $60 online activation credit coming up again soon.  That was a sweet deal, but I was a little too slow. 

1) It's best to activate PM with a new number and then do the port online using selfserve.publicmobile.ca.

2) No.

3) If you can wait...it comes around within ~45 days

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@ExtraSlow wrote:

You can port your number during the activation if you want, I have always done this without issue.  Others suggest that you get a new PM number and then when line is working port  your number over.

You don't have to call Telus, any device balance will be added to your final bill.

No one can anticipate when they run promos.  With the one you are describing ending just last week I have no idea if/when it will be offered again

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@ExtraSlow, you are correct.  During the activation process, you'll be able to take a new number or port your Telus number in.  Some suggest taking a new number to make sure things work fine, others go with the port right away.

Your port will cancel your Telus account, and yes, they will send you a final bill for whatever you may still owe them.

Promos are not regular but happen somewhat frequently right now.  It's hit an miss.

Currently, on the $25/$25 friend referral is happening, and it's an online (not in-store) promotion only.

Need Help? Let's chat.