cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Try to activate. Credit card not working

pm10
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm new to PM.  I'm trying to activate (porting my number) but when I enter my credit card details I get the message:

Unable to Process Transaction 
Sorry, we are unable to verify your card at this time. Please ensure your card details are entered correctly and try again. 
If you continue to experience problems, contact your card provider for more information.

There is nothing wrong with my credit card and I've checked the information multiple times (even played around with the way I enter the address).  I've used my card frequently online without issue.  This is a first.  I've read a lot of complaints about this issue in the community but no solid solutions.  Not impressed with PM so far and I just got here.

39 REPLIES 39

@pm10 

Wow your activation brings me back to my own. My second account that i activated after my first one was done in store. It took 5 tries if i remember correctly and a lot if help from the community but overwhelmingly of all the errors I got or mistakes I made (don't use the back button!) the one thing that worked was a clear browser and secret/incognito mode. Remember to use this everytime you plan to make any changes within your account. That means payments, top ups, using a voucher, updating a credit card, purchasing an add on, scheduling a plan change just about any change. The only thing I havent had an issue with is using lost/stolen to suspend service.

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If it’s a Visa debit or a prepaid card, then it could have issues. When I signed up for the first time, I was at a physical location where I tapped my card to set up autopay. If one is close to you, then you can pay in-store and set up autopay their too much faster.

Public's payment processing system is old and tires easily. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

pm10

Yeah.  I used the same credit card.  All the credit card info was the same as I had tried previously.  I'm not sure which of the recommendations did the trick but I suspect it was just waiting for server traffic to subside, or maybe using incognito mode, or both.

So happy to be here.

The community was so responsive.  Thanks again to everyone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pm10 

That's great! It's so nice to read of how someone persevered through the foibles instead of setting their hair on fire and screaming around slamming everything and threatening everyone and everything.

How did you make the payment? Your original payment card?

@pm10  Good stuff! Welcome to PM. 👏👍

pm10

Yes.  I love the whole community concept and plan to contribute as much as possible.

This is great!.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@pm10 great to hear. If you used a referral code the credit will be applied within 72 hours. Usually it's next today though.

Welcome to Public Mobile 🙂

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@pm10 wrote:

It worked!  I'm on the network!

I pooled all the knowledge I got from the community and I got through.  I'm not sure what it was that made it work.  These are the things I did differently in my successful attempt:

- I waited for a couple of hours (it was suggested that the activation system was overwhelmed).

- I entered both my old Freedom account and PIN (even though the instructions said input 1 of those)

- I used the browser's incognito mode

- After clicking the Activate button on the payment page, I wiggled my mouse while it was processing.

I'm so glad to be here!  Thanks everyone!

@pm10 ,

Perseverance pays off ! Glad to hear this. 🙂

Maybe one day you can help someone with similar issues you were having and get them up and running.👍

pm10

It worked!  I'm on the network!

I pooled all the knowledge I got from the community and I got through.  I'm not sure what it was that made it work.  These are the things I did differently in my successful attempt:

- I waited for a couple of hours (it was suggested that the activation system was overwhelmed).

- I entered both my old Freedom account and PIN (even though the instructions said input 1 of those)

- I used the browser's incognito mode

- After clicking the Activate button on the payment page, I wiggled my mouse while it was processing.

I'm so glad to be here!  Thanks everyone!

pm10

Unfortunately the $10 credit is only useful if I can actually activate the account.  I'm going to wait a bit and see if it will later this evening.  Thank you.

@pm10 

As indicated above, you only need to buy a voucher with the face value of $25. Tax will be added at point of sale.

Also, recharge.com is an international company and the weird numbers stem from fluctuations in exchange rates. So, go for the voucher in the $25 range.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you use a referral code you'll get a $10 credit. So that covers the SIM.

To add a pinch of salt to the mix...some vouchers seem to take longer to be usable. Be sure to start all over with a clear browser or incognito/privacy mode.

There are many thousands of satisfied customers. You're just having an unfortunate bumpy start.

pm10

I was wanting to get the $25 plan which means, with tax, I need to pay $28.  The PM moderator sent me to recharge.com.  On recharge.com a $29.96 voucher cost $33.89.  If I pay that to recharge.com and I try to use that voucher to activate my PM account and it doesn't work now I'm out $33.89 in addition to $11.20 I've already spent on the SIM card.  Taking me from bad to worse.

I didn't realize I could get a voucher from a store.  That would at least save me the fee that recharge.com charges.  But that still means I could be throwing another $28 in the trash.  The "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" thing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How is it an additional $33? You haven't paid anything yet have you?

Using a voucher at activation does lose the $2 up front autopay credit though. And then after you sort out the payment card you can setup autopay and get the $2 reward at your next renewal.

pm10

Maybe you're right. Maybe it's exceptionally busy today.  I'll try again later in the evening when the rest of Canada has gone to bed (I'm on the west coast).

I really don't want to go the voucher route.  Sinking an additional $33 into this venture just seems like a bad idea.

I do look forward to joining the PM community in all it's glory.  I hope I get there.

Thank you. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@pm10  yes they work for Public Mobile.

Why would you have to pay an extra $33? 

Or you mean upfront as opposed to putting it on a credit card?

Important to take note the $2 discount per 30 days is only for AUTOPAY. Meaning a credit card has to be added to the account for auto-pay to get the $2 discount.

Do you have any other credit cards you could try? Even a banks visa debit card works as long as it has a visa logo and can be used online. 

You can pick up vouchers/topups at corner stores, gas stations etc. You go to the cashier and for example say you want a $20 top up for public mobile. They charge the tax at point of sale. The paper will print out of the machine with a 12 digit pin. That's the code to apply it to your account.

Link below shows all different places your can buy vouchers.

https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/payment-voucher

Also for alittle extra fee. You can buy vouchers online with your credit card or even PayPal at recharge.com. 

Rosguru
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Same thing happened to couple trying to activate today.  Perhaps due to the huge influx of new entries PM system has been overwhelmed?????  

Would the best solution be to purchase a voucher today and since you would now have 2 months if you applied for the free month by the free month promo, you can try inputting your credit card at another date which may not be so crazy busy and system may be able to handle?  If not after that, get hold of a mod.

Don't give up on Public Mobile.  Once all is working well and you start seeing how well they treat their customers, you will be happy you stuck with them.

pm10

Oh!  The moderators are PM employees?  I didn't know that.

I've contacted a PM moderator and they were of little help.  They suggested I buy a voucher and use that.  It might work but it might not.  I'd have to pay an additional $33 dollars to find out.  It might make more sense to cut my losses at $11 for the SIM card.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@pm10 you're correct. Only moderators who work for Public Mobile and have access to your account can help you with CC issues.

The forums and everyone writing to you are simply customers.

pm10

Thanks for the encouragement.  I'm sure if I could get setup all would be well.  The community has been great.  So many have tried so hard to help me out.  I love it.

Unfortunately credit card / activation issues don't really seem to be resolvable through the community.  It think it requires a PM employee that has access to the payment system to sort out these kind of things.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I haven't given up yet.

@pm10 wrote:

I waited an hour and tried again.  Still no luck.

It was suggested that I try a voucher but I didn't bother.  I'm already down $11 for the SIM card.  No point digging the hole $33 deeper with no guarantees.  If I knew that would work I do it.  I really wanted to make this work.  So sad.  😞

@pm10 unfortunately this happens once in a while I can assure you once you get settled in things will go a lot smoother I have been here a few years now and after a bit of a rough start like you things got a lot better with the help of the great community members here 😁

pm10

I waited an hour and tried again.  Still no luck.

It was suggested that I try a voucher but I didn't bother.  I'm already down $11 for the SIM card.  No point digging the hole $33 deeper with no guarantees.  If I knew that would work I do it.  I really wanted to make this work.  So sad.  😞

pm10

Years ago I had a Telus account.  Every bill had an error (always in Telus' favour), had to call them every month.  I thought they had worked through their issues.  Perhaps not.

Moderator suggested using voucher.  I'm about to give it a try.  

@pm10  You right it's not you card it's the PM system and it needs an overhaul.

While waiting try your sim in your device, sometimes even though the error the payment goes through.

pm10

Thanks I'll wait and try again in an hour using incognito mode.

pm10

I did try several times so maybe I'll wait an hour.

I also did try a few variations of the address.  It seems to me the address copied verbatim from my Visa statement should work. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @pm10 ,

Sorry to hear of your frustration. 😞 

Check to see if your credit card was charged. If not, clear your cache, and try again in an hour (too many attempts or taking too long can lock you out) after your last attempt by opening a tab in incognito mode.

When strange things are happening, sometimes this method works.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you've tried many times by now it might be locked out defending you from fraud.

Another maybe is West 1st Avenue based on your example. Or even First Avenue West.

pm10

Thank you.  I'll try that.

Need Help? Let's chat.