cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treating non-Canadians like you really don't give a toss

Furious_Interna
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

1 why do you not accept international credit cards? I can buy a beer, a haircut, a meal, a car, but you won't let me pay my phone bill.

2 why when I try to enter an international credit card it let's me - even has a pull down menu with my country's name that it let's me select?

3 after entering all my credit card details and hit submit, why does it just give me a message saying the transaction failed instead of giving me some useful information like WHY it failed?

4 if it is some silly bureaucratic rule, why do you not change it? 

5 do you actually enjoy annoying visitors to your country?

6 who do I bill for my time, petrol and other vehicle expenses for the stupidity of having to go to the place I bought my plan to buy a voucher - WITH THE SAME CREDIT CARD YOU WOULDN'T LET ME USE IN YOUR WEBSITE - return, then enter an unnecessarily long pin in the same place I was led to believe I could enter a credit card?

7 why don't you die of shame when you get your paycheck?

14 REPLIES 14

lheintzman
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Furious_Interna wrote:

1 why do you not accept international credit cards? I can buy a beer, a haircut, a meal, a car, but you won't let me pay my phone bill.

2 why when I try to enter an international credit card it let's me - even has a pull down menu with my country's name that it let's me select?

3 after entering all my credit card details and hit submit, why does it just give me a message saying the transaction failed instead of giving me some useful information like WHY it failed?

6 who do I bill for my time, petrol and other vehicle expenses for the stupidity of having to go to the place I bought my plan to buy a voucher - WITH THE SAME CREDIT CARD YOU WOULDN'T LET ME USE IN YOUR WEBSITE - return, then enter an unnecessarily long pin in the same place I was led to believe I could enter a credit card?

1/ It's a matter of priorities. In Canada, beer is really, really important. Especially beer. The other stuff, not so much.

2/This is a free country. You can select any item on any list anywhere. 

3/ See next. 

4/ Yes it is silly, but you are the only person who's ever complained. 

5/ Not always but sometimes. Just a little.

6/ You can bill almost anybody. Collecting might be a problem. 

7/Nobody here gets a paycheque, at least not for helping out fellow Public Mobile customers.

So here's one for you. Quite a few people made an effort to calm things down and 'splain the situation. Did you evenutally get your problem solved, or did you just disappear in a cloud of smoke and steam? 

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

1- far more chances of fraud, also potential costs in converting currency

2- no sanity check in code

3- privacy info, even if possible to disclose exact reason they would not

4- for things like privacy? Law is not that simple (nor wanted by general public) to change

5- not really, Public is by far the best option for travellers since the only other brand who still offers real prepay has horrible coverage

6- Cat LOL

7- Cat LOL

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Furious_Interna wrote:

You, sir (or madam), are completely out of line with that statement. You are so lucky that there are community members here that are still willing to help you after making that statement. I would not bother trying to help that's for sure. Your arrogance and ignorance toward those who are trying to help you out of a situation that is your own fault for not researching, is belittling, and smells of entitlement. Welcome to Canada.

GC

bud21ca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have travelled overseas alot and could not use my Canadian credit card for prepaid phone services there, but could use it everywhere else. I had to buy vouchers then use those.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Furious_Interna wrote:

That is a lengthy list.  I have been placed where my Canadian card didn't work for purchasing items.  @Furious_Interna, so do you know what I do now before I travel, I do some research on the companies or providers I plan to use to see if it is possible.  That is all it would have taken and you would have bought the sim and voucher at the same time or choos another provider.  As consumer we must take some responsibility for choosing who we deal with and give our hard earned money to

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Just shooting it out, but foreign credit cards might incur more fees to process.

I'm pretty sure koodo is the same.

choco
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Our Canadian credit cards do not work when ordering items from T-Mobile or H2O Wireless websites either. When I complained to them they said that's the way it is.

@Furious_Interna wrote:

Amazing how the the people who sold me the voucher say that they always have this problem with visitors from outside nth America.

Please don't reply again until after you've confirmed that it was a one-off address matching problem and not a problem all international visitors have. 

It is not a one-off. "We accept credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, and American Express), and Visa Debit cards that have been issued by Canadian and American financial institutions, and are registered to a Canadian or American address."

See under Payment here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-to-Activate/ta-p/251824.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You are aware that many services outside of Canada that won't let Canadians buy from them too. Either through Geolocking or by not allowing non-X country addresses/payment methods. This isn't unique to PM and there is no reason to be rude to the customers trying to help you. If you didn't want the customers to try to help you, you should have contacted the moderators directly. This is a Canadian provider meant for use in Canada. Non-Canadian customers have little reason to even want to use the service, there are plenty of burner SIMs for that very purpose that are designed for visitors. With that said there are plenty of ways for you to pay for the PM service. The place you bought the SIM from likely sells vouchers too. You could use one of those to pay for the service, there are online means as well as mentioned by others.

@Furious_InternaI agree with you on the suggestion for improvement to the accepted payment list. But I and we are just customers like you. If you want to make a suggestion to public mobile I suggest sending them a message. Click this to send them a message.   If enough people complain, maybe they will do something about it. For all we know no one has ever brought it to their attention. They ARE trying to improve things because they did recently add U.S. credit / debit cards to the list of accepted payment. But posting here, I am sorry to say is pointless besides self satisfaction of getting something off your chest.

Furious_Interna
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Amazing how every other transaction I have using that card works just fine.

Also amazing how so many others have the same unexpected difficulty. 

Amazing how the the people who sold me the voucher say that they always have this problem with visitors from outside nth America.

Please don't reply again until after you've confirmed that it was a one-off address matching problem and not a problem all international visitors have. 

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
This is a public forum for customers to help each other, not a PM complaint line. Many credit cards don't work in other countries, and those that do are often not accepted everywhere even in countries that allow them, and many phone companies and other services don't accept credit cards that are not from Canada. It is easy to get a prepaid Canadian credit card that will work here while you are in the country.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Furious_Interna wrote:

@Furious_Interna

I know thigs are not perfect. But you can go to recharge.com and use your international credit card there, buy a voucher and use it here 🙂 no need to spend petro

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Furious_Interna The issue could be related to your address not matching with your cc details. Just use vouchers from recharge.com to pay for your service (no patrol, but internet fees). At least that is an option and you are not left with no choice. 

Need Help? Let's chat.