cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling to US

mgch989
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi community,

If I'm traveling to US for just one day, don't want to buy the add on for 8 days.  Can I still use text and being charged by per text?  If I don't buy the add on, would my phone still work?  Thanks so much for helping.

10 REPLIES 10

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You can download an APP that would allow you to text over WIFI, or any of your apps like WhatsApp will work over WIFI...

You'll need that add-on for proper Texting  though....

@Triguy wrote:

You would need the add-on if you want to use PM.  If you have access to wifi you could use apps like Fongo, Skype, or textnow.

@mgch989  If you have an android device Hangouts Dialer allows you to call anywhere in NA for free via WiFi. Google Duo is another option provided that the other party has it installed.

@mgch989 wrote:

Got it.  Would my phone still ring if someone call me?  Thanks so much for the help!

No, it will not. You will only receive texts without US add-on.

@mgch989 wrote:

Got it.  Would my phone still ring if someone call me?  Thanks so much for the help!

@mgch989Unfortunately no it would not. It would go to voicemail.

mgch989
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Lieux wrote:

You can use fongo.com a free app for texting.

I don't think it's free for texting.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@mgch989 wrote:

Hi community,

If I'm traveling to US for just one day, don't want to buy the add on for 8 days.  Can I still use text and being charged by per text?  If I don't buy the add on, would my phone still work?  Thanks so much for helping.

@mgch989 Unfortunately what you are asking is not available. Yes, you can still use your phone with WiFi and use a third party app to text through WiFi. My understanding is that you might be able to receive texts.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You would need the add-on if you want to use PM.  If you have access to wifi you could use apps like Fongo, Skype, or textnow.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@mgch989 wrote:

Hi community,

You can use fongo.com a free app for texting.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

You will receive SMS while in the US without the roaming.  You will not be able to respond via SMS (without the roaming add-on)

Need Help? Let's chat.