cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling to Australia

mattymoo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Guys,

Just got my new PM number ported in.  I am travelling to Australia and nee to be able to receive texts there - is that possible?  I do know there is no roaming add-on for other than the US - I just need to be able to receive texts for banking and so forth - all those security texts drive me crazy!

If I can't I might have to get one of those permanent Hushed numbers and give that to all the banks etc!  Augh!

Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@lialka wrote:

Would you please explain "download sms forwarding app" - which app?  Also, the link below is broken, no info in... Does that mean that it 'd be possible to get forwarded from my existing nomber SMS?

thanks in advance

@lialka  all this needs to be done from within canada.  so as mentioned in your original thread you need to get a friend in canada  to help you out.  

call forwarding does not require the sim to be in the phone once enabled.  the sms forwarding does however and requres the phone to be on inorder to receive the sms

as for apps:

Screenshot (71).png 

@lialka wrote:

Would you please explain "download sms forwarding app" - which app?  Also, the link below is broken, no info in... Does that mean that it 'd be possible to get forwarded from my existing nomber SMS?

thanks in advance

Yes look in your other thread what Mimmo explain to you.Smiley Happy

lialka

You right, except of my unaccessability to my bank account...

lialka

thanks in advance

shawnie_boy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This is why I suggested some sort of text forwarding or auto response to text messages in the public lab. The only issue with fongo is short codes not accepted, so it is not the best solution to put your main number at. 

Personally, what I do now is provide my regular number or fongo number to different places (Fongo has name display and visual voicemail too). I also use Sudo which is amazing with up to 9 free numbers, free txt, email and call. 

mimmo

thinking about it you could also just change your bank's contact number to your fongo number (if that is the main reason) and then sms would always go to fongo.  that removes the step of leaving a phone pluggedin and active while you are away.

fongo is nice becasue it is free and can be used on whatever device has internet.

mattymoo

That makes sense - thanks for that.  However - I'll need a separate phone to leave on charge and plugged in.

My options so far are to change my phone number permanently to a VoIP service - forgo or hushed or ??.  Augh!  Well at least I'll be paying $38 a month and not $85 a month with PM, and I get a little more data, and if I buy data or add-ons they carry over.  Not having the texts when overseas is a big problem.

Fongo seems ok.  Another one is Hushed - can buy a permanent number with them too.

mimmo

I have done it before.  on android not sure about iphone.

This is what i did.

1) create a fongo.com account 

2) download sms forwarding app  on old phone(can forward to email or to another number  or both)

3)put PM sim in old android phone

4) set up app to forward to fongo number 

5) test that it works

6) put sim back in orginal phone

7) before leaving house turn on call forwading to fongo

😎 put sim into old phone and keep on and plugged it.

9) test again just to be sure.

10 while in australia you will either need a local sim with data to use fongo or be on wifi.

here is a decent article as well. http://www.seattletimes.com/business/technology/how-to-auto-forward-text-messages-from-an-iphone/ 

In either case you need to have two phones  one that stays in canada and one you take with you.  if you dont have a spare unlocked  phone ask a friend or see if you can find an old used one.  (android is easier)

happy travels

hope that helps

mattymoo

phone number neutral?  You mean that they roam internationally?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Public Mobile only has roaming service in the US.  I have always advocated using communication platforms that are phone number neutral.  @mattymoo that is your only option when in Australia.

mattymoo

thanks - but that solution is not forwarding texts to a different number - just to ipad and computer.  Once a different sim goes in the phone then the old texts don't get through.

I think it's hard to forward tsxt
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Can-I-forward-my-text-messages/m-p/102453
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

mattymoo

Text forwarding on an iphone not possible I understand.  Confirm anyone?

Text forwarding on an android possible?  How?

Thanks!

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
leave the phone behind and setup some text forwarding?

neatooo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
not sure if you can. Someone suggested that you leave your PM sim in a PM compatible phone here, plugged into the charger, running 24/7, using an app that forwards received texts to another number or email
Need Help? Let's chat.