Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Typically, you can move your number if:

• It's an active mobile or landline number
  • We have service in that area
  • It's from a service provider in the same local calling area
  • Number Portability is available in that area 

Tips for moving to Public Mobile

• Keep it live. Don't cancel your current service before switching to us. Your phone number must be active in order to move it
  • Have it at hand. Have your phone, an invoice from your current service provider and if possible, your service agreement handy when you move your number. Just to be safe, you should review your existing service agreement to find out what charges might apply
  • Don't delegate. Only the authorized account holder can transfer a number

Click here for porting instructions.

683 REPLIES 683

Mkat
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

thank you so much for helping answer my question @mimmo i wasnt sure where to post and i had seen that porting numbers was stickied so i thought it would be appropriate to post in here. also what does "apn" mean?

also our plan was to test out public mobile with her and if it was good enough for us i would also port over like you suggested, (save ourselves that extra $1 a month) if it is truly as good as i am hoping we will probably bring more family members over.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mkat  yes it is doable.

1) head to walmart/wow moble/k-mobile and buy a sim card

2) activate using a temporary PM assigned number

2a) set up apn settings

3) once the service is working then port over your wife's number

3a) use the telus account number and the name on the account not your wifes

4) start saving some cash.

5) port your number do the same thing but enter your wife's number as a referral to get a $1 saving per month, make sure your phone is unlocked

also sometimes it is best to start new threads instead of posting to old ones.

ask any other questions you have

Mkat

i want to get my wife off her telus family plan and on to her own public mobile plan. How would i go about porting just her number off the plan? Her family still wants to use their family plan and my wife is not the principle line/owner. is it doable to just get her number transfered out without screwing up their family plan?

If i can get this to work i feel like i will leave my rogers plan behind as well and jump over to public mobile. they prices seem very, very, reasonable.

srlawren

@sbs260 wrote:

Hi, I need to transfer my number from Koodo to Public Mobile. Who should I contact?

@sbs260 is your Koodo account pre-paid or post-paid? 

If it's post-paid, you can initiate the port request yourself by signing into your Public Mobile self-serve account, click on Plans and Add-ons tab, then Change Phone Number, and choose the 2nd radio button "Transfer a wireless or wireline number from Public Mobile or anothe provider".

If it's pre-paid, you will need assistance from the moderator team.  Here's how to contact them:

How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?

In your message please include:

• PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

If you have a Porting issue, please also include:

• The number you want to port, PM sim number, old account number, old account name exacly as on bill

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

• Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Thursday 9am to 9pm, and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 9am to 7:30pm [Totonto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during business hours and in the order they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.

Additional Useful Information:

• Search PM-GUIDE (remove "-" during the search) to find some informative posts and answers to many common questions about Public Mobile

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

sbs260
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I need to transfer my number from Koodo to Public Mobile. Who should I contact?

srlawren

@neilgunn You will need to click here to send a private message to the @moderator_team for assistance. They are Public Mobile support employees who can help with your issue.

• PM Phone Number
  • 4 digit PIN (if you don't remember this then they will need at least 3 of the following to verify your identity)
    • account number
    • date of birth
    • complete address listed on account with postal code
    • email address on account
    • most commonly called numbers
    • alternate number listed on the account
    • last payment date and amount
    • last 4 digits of the credit card
  • Detailed explanation

Note: Community Moderators are available from Mon-Thursday 9am to 9pm, and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 9am to 7:30pm [All times in Toronto/Montreal time zone]. You can message them at any time, and they will respond as soon as possible within those working hours. More information about the community moderators.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

neilgunn

I just signed up with Public Mobile and tried to port my Rogers phone number but it failed. Please help. 

srlawren

@joesevan wrote:

Just signed up today and tried porting my # as part of the activiation process. I got a text message from Public MObile saying there was a problem porting and to go to the website and complete a "SIM & activiation form" but I can't find that on the site. I'm getting frustrated! I've ported my # many times and reasonably tech savvy....Also, my old provider is Petro Canada and I didn't have an account # or PIN#

You could try via ESN if you know the ESN that PC has on record for you.  

At this point, I'd suggest you reach out the moderator team via private message, they will be able to give you better guidance on how to port from PC.  To do so, click here.

joesevan

Just signed up today and tried porting my # as part of the activiation process. I got a text message from Public MObile saying there was a problem porting and to go to the website and complete a "SIM & activiation form" but I can't find that on the site. I'm getting frustrated! I've ported my # many times and reasonably tech savvy....Also, my old provider is Petro Canada and I didn't have an account # or PIN#

Kbaerg

Ok. Thanks srlawren.

srlawren

@Kbaerg I'd suggest you reach out to the @CS_Agent.  Your phone should at least be able to use data, so you may have had an activation error.  To reach out to them, you will need to click here to send a private message to the @moderator_team for assistance. They are Public Mobile support employees who can help with your issue.

• PM account email address
  • PM phone number
  • Detailed explanation

Note: Community Moderators are available from Mon-Thursday 9am to 9pm, and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 9am to 7:30pm [All times in Toronto/Montreal time zone]. You can message them at any time, and they will respond as soon as possible within those working hours. More information about the community moderators.

Kbaerg

My landline is working as normal. My cell can not make or receive calls, no txts or data, I didn’t get a temporary public mobile number...

srlawren

@Kbaerg porting from a landline can take several days, I believe up to 7 business days, so don't panic yet.  But just to clarify, when you say you have "no service", are you only referring to the fact that calls to your home phone number are not yet coming to your mobile phone, but your mobile phone is otherwise working?  Like, can you make outbound calls from it?  Can you receive calls on your temporary Public Mobile number?  Can you send/receive texts (if part of your plan) from your Public Mobile phone number?  Can you use data (if part of your plan)?

Kbaerg

Hi, I’m porting my landline number from Telus to pm. It’s been 4 days and the cell still has no service, all calls are still going through my landline. Should I be worried? Is there anyway to confirm that the port is in process? Thanks! 

@srlawren wrote:

@Mina_M probably quicker if you private message the moderator team instead, and provide them your pertinent info:  Your temporarly public mobile number (and/or your SIM card number), your Chatr phone number, your Chatr account number, and your name as it appears on yoru Chatr account/statement.  You can private message them by clicking here.

Just a note that Chatr does not provide the customer with any easily accessible account number from within the online account. The only way to get it is to contact Chatr customer service and verbally request it.

srlawren

@Mina_M my pleasure.  

Mina_M

Thanks @srlawren

srlawren

@Mina_M probably quicker if you private message the moderator team instead, and provide them your pertinent info:  Your temporarly public mobile number (and/or your SIM card number), your Chatr phone number, your Chatr account number, and your name as it appears on yoru Chatr account/statement.  You can private message them by clicking here.

Mina_M

Hi,

I ported my phone from Chatr more than 3 hours ago but I can't receive phone calls. the caller gets a message " number not assigned". please help @CS_Agent . Thank you.

srlawren

@keerth23 from another wireless provider (Rogers, Fido, Chatr, Bell, Virgin, Telus, Koodo, Freedom, Videotron, etc) it should be within a few hours (often quicker); from a landline or VoIP provider, it can take up to a week.

keerth23

how long it will take

Trihuynh

thank you very much for your help!

srlawren

@Trihuynh for your reference, here are some excerpts from NumberBarn's FAQ page:

Will my new carrier accept a phone number transferred from NumberBarn?

The majority of carriers will accept phone number transfers from NumberBarn. Some mobile carriers have policies that only allow them to port in "wireless" phone numbers. NumberBarn's numbers are classified as "wireline" and that classification can not be modified by NumberBarn. Check with your new carrier first.

How long does porting out take?

Port out timing depends on the carrier or service provider. They all tend to work at different speeds. Usually it takes a few business days for the process to complete.

[Bold emphasis added by me] Based on these questions and answers, I would expect the port to take up to a week.  If your inbound calls are still not reaching your Public Mobile phone number after 7 business days, please reach out to the @CS_Agent via private message for assistance.

srlawren

@Trihuynh I had to edit your post to remove all your private information, as it is against community guidelines.  Please note that this is a public community and literally anyone (including Google search engine) can read it.  

To your question:  I've never heard of NumberBarn.  A quick search didn't say for sure, but it *looks* like a type of VoIP operator, if I'm not mistaken?  If that's the case, it can take much longer to port in a number.  From another mobile provider (Bell, Telus, Rogers, Fido, etc) is generally within a few hours, but VoIP providers and landlines can take several days or even up to about a week to complete.  

Trihuynh

I followed the instruction to port a number over from NumberBarn.  I am able to send/receive text messaging, able to make outgoing all but not able to receive phone call (still getting voicemail from NumberBarn.  I am new to Public Mobile, read the community to try to find a solution and submit a ticket, but i could not find a way to submit a ticket.

My PM account number is 10000000xxxxxxx, email zzz@shared.com, phone number 613-zzz-yyyy.  It's been over 48 hours since i ported.  Please help or redirect this to the right department.  Your help is greatly appreciated.

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:

With speakout, I beleive your phone number is the account number. 

@Rockdaddy22

Might be informally / as means to locate your account. However, for porting purposes I respectfully disagree based on my personal experience mentioned above.

srlawren

@wetcoaster we got our snow overnight, it seems.  Causing lots of havoc with the Skytrains this morning.  Glad I chose to work from home today!

Rockdaddy22

With speakout, I beleive your phone number is the account number. 

@srlawren wrote:

Edit again: on a side note, your community handle was especially accurate today. That was a ton of precipitation! 

@srlawren

Actually, very wet snow over here on the Island today - directly after a blue bird day with 14 degrees... Smiley Frustrated

Hope you are not too soaked through over there!

srlawren

Thanks for sharing that first hand experience (edit: and advice!), @wetcoaster. Much appreciated!

Edit again: on a side note, your community handle was especially accurate today. That was a ton of precipitation! 

Need Help? Let's chat.