Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Typically, you can move your number if:

• It's an active mobile or landline number
  • We have service in that area
  • It's from a service provider in the same local calling area
  • Number Portability is available in that area 

Tips for moving to Public Mobile

• Keep it live. Don't cancel your current service before switching to us. Your phone number must be active in order to move it
  • Have it at hand. Have your phone, an invoice from your current service provider and if possible, your service agreement handy when you move your number. Just to be safe, you should review your existing service agreement to find out what charges might apply
  • Don't delegate. Only the authorized account holder can transfer a number

Click here for porting instructions.

683 REPLIES 683

@AliceGlass

Does your texting work?  Are you able to call out?  For Data, you might need to manual input the APN settings.  Tried rebooting the phone?  

It might be a porting problem.  You may need to contact moderator.  Typical wait times are about 24 hours.  

Here is instructions to contact moderator:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-How-to-Contact-our-Community-M...

Recommendation:  do not send multiple message to moderators.  First come, First service.  Each new message will put you further down the job list.  

Or just send a private message through the following link :
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Community Moderators are available from Monday to Friday 9am (EDT) to 9pm (EDT) and Saturday, and Sunday from 9am (EDT) to 7:30pm (EDT)

AliceGlass
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I switched from Virgin Mobile on Friday afternoon (two days ago) at my local Wal-Mart, and the SIM was activated right on the spot, everything filled out. My card was charged.

I got home that night and switched my new PM number to my old (VM) number online. My Public Mobile service isn't working though - I can't receive calls and the mobile data's not working. 

Help? I paid for service I'm not getting. It shouldn't be complicated. 😕 

Jinjangbesi

I was having issue porting my Koodo Prepaid to Public Mobile. Luckily I saw this message. I've sent private message to Moderator_Team. Thanks @computergeek541

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Definitely sounds like a failed port on the second line. 

@bonifaceviii wrote:

I ported two numbers last night, both attached to the same FIDO account.

The first one's transfer was completed almost instantaneously, but the second number is still unable to receive incoming calls (outbound and texting is fine). Is this something I should be concerned about? Is the fact that the account number and name on both numbers is the same complicating things?

That shouldn't make any difference.  Each phone number port is verified independently of each other.  If your Fido account only has 2 lines, completing the number transfer will make the Fido account close and a final invoice issued.  Since this was last night, I would have the moderators resubmit another request for the incomplete transfer.

bonifaceviii
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I ported two numbers last night, both attached to the same FIDO account.

The first one's transfer was completed almost instantaneously, but the second number is still unable to receive incoming calls (outbound and texting is fine). Is this something I should be concerned about? Is the fact that the account number and name on both numbers is the same complicating things?

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Jazcat wrote:

Sometimes it helps to first say you want a new number then switch over to asking to keep old number. However some company's d ont allow transfer of their numbers. So it just depends.

What companies don't allow for the number to be ported out?  Pretty sure that changed oh I can't even remember how many years ago.

Number portability started in Canada back in early 2007.   A phone company cannot refuse to transfer a phone number, although there is a special clause for pager numbers (although I'm not really sure how many people that still effects).

https://www.cwta.ca/for-consumers/wireless-number-portability/#16

There was a situation back in 2009 in which Wind Mobile was not set up to port phone numbers in, but that only last for about the first week of operation.  Since number portability take effect, I have never heard of a carrier that doesn't allow a number to be ported out.

@Jazcat wrote:

Sometimes it helps to first say you want a new number then switch over to asking to keep old number. However some company's d ont allow transfer of their numbers. So it just depends.

What companies don't allow for the number to be ported out?  Pretty sure that changed oh I can't even remember how many years ago.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Jazcat

@sbs260 wrote:

Hi, I need to transfer my number from Koodo to Public Mobile. Who should I contact?

Should be able to do through the public mobile site. 

Jazcat

@neilgunn wrote:

I just signed up with Public Mobile and tried to port my Rogers phone number but it failed. Please help. 

srlawren

@icecold1 wrote:

Still I didn't get the transfer??? waiting 4 days

@icecold1 duplicating the posting won't help you, it will just confuse people trying to jump in to help if they don't see both.  Let's keep the conversation going over here instead:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Number-ported-successfully/m-p/258511...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

icecold1

Still I didn't get the transfer??? waiting 4 days

srlawren

@galaxy8 welcome to Public Mobile!  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

BevB

resolved thank you

galaxy8

I activated my sim card last night and completed the port info section as well. But I got a text a bit later that I need to go to public mobile site and complete sim and activation online form. I got that text again just now. The problem is that I cannot find that form on the site... 

Can someone help me complete my port since my number is not accessible anymore! I messaged the moderator account but they have not responded yet.

UPDATE: resolved

alfman79

Hello,

The issue was taken care of about 10 days ago or so.  I have my number ported over to public mobile.  Thank you.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi @bryce,

I just sent a message to you, could you read it and then reply to me please?

Thank you!

Gregory

@bryce wrote:

I also need help porting my Koodo number to public mobile!! 

If your number is on a prepaid account at Koodo, you will need to send a private message to Moderator_Team to get that done.

IF your Koodo phone number is attached to a postpaid account (they send you an invoice each month), you can port the number in yourself through the self-serve tools.

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Have you tried porting on self serve while registering a new sim?

bryce

I also need help porting my Koodo number to public mobile!! 

Rockdaddy22

I’m so happy to hear that. Should be smooth sailing ️  now :). 

srlawren

Welcome [fully] to Public Mobile, @chabro!

dhilscher
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Congrats! I love it here, Hope you will too!

chabro

Woke up this morning to a successful port.  Thanks to everyone for your replies and help.

Rockdaddy22

Ok, hopefully they’re able to fix you up. 

chabro

Yes, I have replied to the MODS.  Thanks for the replies.

srlawren

@chabro wrote:

Yes, I have been restarting our phones regularly.  No change.

@chabro it looks like one of the @CS_Agent private messaged you a request for info, based on their reply above (which I didn't see before making mine a few mins ago).  Have you sent them the requested info?  Have you heard anything back?

chabro

Yes, I have been restarting our phones regularly.  No change.

srlawren

@chabro wrote:

PM SIM is active on both phones.  Can make, receive calls, texts etc.  Handsets are unlocked.  Have not had any reply on my PM to mods.  Port still pending...

Not having someone to call when things like this happen is an eye opener.  Think I may have to reconsider whether this is the best provider for us.  Right price when it all works as expected, but...

@chabro wrote:

Basically it's working on the new number attached to the PM SIM.  Porting in my old number from Koodo to PM has failed. 

@CS_Agent @Mary_M @Shazia_K could you please follow up with @chabro?  It sounds like they received the text that their port from Koodo was completed, and the Koodo SIMs went dark as expected, but they are not able to get calls on their ported number.

@chabro real quick question:  did you power your phone off and back on again after getting the text that the port was completed?  Just double-checking.

srlawren

@BevB wrote:

PLEASE  could you send me the private message again. 

@BevB did you lose your original?  It's probably still in your private messages inbox, unless you explicitly deleted it.  

How can I view my private messages between myself and a Community Moderator?

If you deleted it and need to reach out to them again....

How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?

In your message please include:

• PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

• Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Friday 9am to 9pm, and Saturday & Sunday from 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during office hours, in the order in which they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.

Need Help? Let's chat.