Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Typically, you can move your number if:

• It's an active mobile or landline number
  • We have service in that area
  • It's from a service provider in the same local calling area
  • Number Portability is available in that area 

Tips for moving to Public Mobile

• Keep it live. Don't cancel your current service before switching to us. Your phone number must be active in order to move it
  • Have it at hand. Have your phone, an invoice from your current service provider and if possible, your service agreement handy when you move your number. Just to be safe, you should review your existing service agreement to find out what charges might apply
  • Don't delegate. Only the authorized account holder can transfer a number

Click here for porting instructions.

683 REPLIES 683

chabro
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Basically it's working on the new number attached to the PM SIM.  Porting in my old number from Koodo to PM has failed. 

BevB

PLEASE  could you send me the private message again. 

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

@chabro, I'm sorry to read about this issue, and I'd definitely assist you.  Please get back to me with the requested information in the private message I just sent you.

Thank you!

Aïssata

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@chabro wrote:

PM SIM is active on both phones.  Can make, receive calls, texts etc.  Handsets are unlocked.  Have not had any reply on my PM to mods.  Port still pending...

Not having someone to call when things like this happen is an eye opener.  Think I may have to reconsider whether this is the best provider for us.  Right price when it all works as expected, but...

So what’s not working? Maybe I’m misunderstanding something. 

chabro

PM SIM is active on both phones.  Can make, receive calls, texts etc.  Handsets are unlocked.  Have not had any reply on my PM to mods.  Port still pending...

Not having someone to call when things like this happen is an eye opener.  Think I may have to reconsider whether this is the best provider for us.  Right price when it all works as expected, but...

Rockdaddy22

So the port sounds like it was partially sucsessfull. Is anything working with the PM sim? Have you tried it in another phone, are you sure the handset is unlocked. 

chabro

Will do.

About trying old SIM.  Both phones went to emergency calls only within 10 min after I ported.

Rockdaddy22

Please keep me updated here on your progress, hopefully it can be solved tonight or at least by tomorrow morning. 

chabro

Thx

Rockdaddy22

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

You will need to contact the mod/customer service rep with the link provided above. I’m assuming you can’t use your old sim for now, but if you haven’t tried it you should. 

chabro

Hi.  I ported two numbers this morning (before 8am PST).  It's been at least 7hrs since Koodo sent me an email to confirm I've left their service.  I've ported a few times and it's always been a quick process (10min or less, maybe once it took near an hour).

Would appreciate if someone with access could look into my process? 

BevB

Yes, a customer replied

Rockdaddy22

@BevB wrote:

Shaw reported that Public Mobile needs to put in for my existing land line number to my new cell phone.   How do I do that 

Please send a detailed message explaining your situation and the mods/customer service will be able to help you.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

BevB

Was there an answer to this question

BevB

Shaw reported that Public Mobile needs to put in for my existing land line number to my new cell phone.   How do I do that 

joedf

Thanks! This worked great! I just transfered from Freedom Mobile and within 30 minutes everything was already working!

kidsndog

So... the million dollar question is:

Why did Public Mobile NOT let me know that the ports for the four numbers did not go through?!

They were requested on May 27 - three weeks ago. Zoomer Wireless told me that they let Public Mobile know the ports did not go through weeks ago. Why was this information not relayed to me? The only reason I discovered that they didn't was due to the billing invoice I received from Zoomer. Who do I need to talk to to get to the bottom of how this ball was dropped?

kidsndog

They can get calls and texts from me, so this is getting even stranger as I am on PM network as well. Honestly, in 20 years of cellular phone plans and porting, I have never experienced something like this - the phones work! They are pre-teens and teenagers so trust me when I say if they didn't, I would have know from the first day of being switched over.

@kidsndog wrote:

Just disposed of the Zoomer sim cards on Tuesday's recycling day last week Man Sad. Thank you so so much for helping me understand this fiasco. I had a 40 minute heated argument with Zoomer this morning as it seemed ludicrus that the phones could still be active on their network with no sim cards being used. What a bloody disaster!!

Unfortuantely, that is just how number portability works at Telus (and other Telus-owned brands).  Some other carriers don't actually assign the number being transfered in to your account until everything is done.  Sorry, but throwing out your Zoomer sim card was a mistake, as I'm sure you now realize.

But, once you provide some of your Zoomer account information (eg. account number) and once the Public Mobile moderator resubmits another request, it shouldn't take too long (hopefully less than a few hours), to finalize the phone number transfer. 

@kidsndog wrote:

Just disposed of the Zoomer sim cards on Tuesday's recycling day last week Man Sad. Thank you so so much for helping me understand this fiasco. I had a 40 minute heated argument with Zoomer this morning as it seemed ludicrus that the phones could still be active on their network with no sim cards being used. What a bloody disaster!!

Sorry you had to go through this.  Your kids never mentioned not receiving any calls during this time?  I can see it being possible as mine really only text.  Hopefully you have been in contact with the mods and they have got this straightened out for you and re-submitted the porting request.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

kidsndog

@kidsndog wrote:

So bizzare! The sim card is PM, the network showin on the phone is Telus, and there is usage logged in the account for PM: incredible to believe that all of this can still mean that the phone is still part of the Zoomer Mobile network.....can not understand the logistics of this. Basically, two networks are charging me for the same service at the same time. Why oh why did Public Mobile not let me know the port was not successful??!?!

When you request a number to be ported, Public Moible immediately assigns this phone number to your account. This happens before you old carrier even receives or approves the request. 

As this is how Public Mobile does number porting (all other Telus brands as well), Public Mobile is essentially spoofing your phone number (pretending that the phone number is active on their end).  During this process, the phone number that you asked to be transfered in will show on the receiving person's caller ID if you make a call or send a text message. 

However, since Zoomer never approved the phone number transfer request, they are quite correct in saying that they still have the phone number.  All of the telephone carriers will also see your phone number as being active at Zoomer, and that is why when someone calls your phone number, they receive your Zoomer voicemail greeting.    To continue receiving your phone calls and text message, reinsert your Zoomer sim card (for now), at least until you can get Public Mobile to sort things out for you.

kidsndog

So bizzare! The sim card is PM, the network showin on the phone is Telus, and there is usage logged in the account for PM: incredible to believe that all of this can still mean that the phone is still part of the Zoomer Mobile network.....can not understand the logistics of this. Basically, two networks are charging me for the same service at the same time. Why oh why did Public Mobile not let me know the port was not successful??!?!

@fergug22 wrote:

I did have an issue with my name not being the holder of the account as it was a family share plan. The phone number was not totally transferring over. I can make calls, but not recieve. (calls go to the old phone) 

I have talked with the old company and they say the new provider just needs to complete the process now that the names have been sorted out. How do I go about ensuring that PM knows to go back and complete the transfer?

Calls going to your old service provider simply means that you phone number was never transfered (as you already know). In your case, your old carrier rejected the request because the information that was provided to them (to prove that you were authorization the phone number transfer) didn't match.  You should send a private message to Moderator_Team to resubmit a number portability request.  This time, make sure to include the correct name of the account holder from the old carrier and to provide the account number as well.

@kidsndog wrote:

Thank you, I will contact the mod. The telephone numbers work and the network shows up as Telus, but here is a strange thing: the voicemails for the phones are all the same recording they made with Zoomer! It's almost as if the phones are caught in no man's land.

This means that Zoomer's customer service is likely correct.  The numbers are still active over there. The reason for you receiving the vociemail greeting that you recorded over at Zoomer is the fact that incoming calls are still be routed there.  This means that your phone number was never ported over to Public Mobile.

When your usage history is showing your ported phone number, that is only because Public Mobile assigns the requested phone number to your account as soon as the request had been made.  This does not meant that the phone number has been transfered.  Until the transfer is done, all incoming communication will continue to go to your Zoomer service.

You will need to get Public Mobile to resubmit another number portability request for you by contacting Moderator_Team.  Do yourself a favor and have your Zoomer Wireless account number handy.  That will be helpful in ensuring the transfer request is successful the second time around.

fergug22
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I did have an issue with my name not being the holder of the account as it was a family share plan. The phone number was not totally transferring over. I can make calls, but not recieve. (calls go to the old phone) 

I have talked with the old company and they say the new provider just needs to complete the process now that the names have been sorted out. How do I go about ensuring that PM knows to go back and complete the transfer?

kidsndog

Thank you, I will contact the mod. The telephone numbers work and the network shows up as Telus, but here is a strange thing: the voicemails for the phones are all the same recording they made with Zoomer! It's almost as if the phones are caught in no man's land.

@kidsndog, these phones receive calls?  Sometimes when a port gets stuck you can still make calls but when calls are received they goto the old sim.  Although for this length of time I am sure they would have received phone calls.  I would suggest messaging a MOD. 

To send a private message to a moderator click this link.
In your message please include:
    • PM Phone Number
    • 4 digit PIN (if you don't remember this then they will need at least 3 of the following to verify your identity)
    • account number
    • date of birth
    • complete address listed on account with postal code
    • email address on account
    • most commonly called numbers
    • alternate number listed on the account
    • last payment date and amount
    • last 4 digits of the credit card
    • Detailed explanation
Community Moderators are available from Mon-Thursday 9am(Eastern) to 9pm(Eastern) and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 9am(Eastern) to 7:30pm(Eastern)

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo

@kidsndog@What happens if you try calling one of the phones from a non Telus/Koodo/pm phone.  You could have a stuck port and not know.  

Do you still have the old zoomer Sims? Do they still work?

Need Help? Let's chat.