Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Typically, you can move your number if:

• It's an active mobile or landline number
  • We have service in that area
  • It's from a service provider in the same local calling area
  • Number Portability is available in that area 

Tips for moving to Public Mobile

• Keep it live. Don't cancel your current service before switching to us. Your phone number must be active in order to move it
  • Have it at hand. Have your phone, an invoice from your current service provider and if possible, your service agreement handy when you move your number. Just to be safe, you should review your existing service agreement to find out what charges might apply
  • Don't delegate. Only the authorized account holder can transfer a number

Click here for porting instructions.

683 REPLIES 683

@IronSnowBird wrote:

The moderator told me my Speakout number won't transfer to Public Mobile because it has a 604 area code.     Has anyone else had a similar experience?   I phoned Speakout and they didn't think it would be a problem.   Is there a particular moderator that would know how to do the Speakout Transfer?   No luck so far.

@IronSnowBird

As a former SpeakOut customer, although with a 250 area code, this doesn't make sense to me.

The big snag with porting from SpeakOut is that they don't have account numbers.

You probably want to talk to a SpeakOut CSR to confirm that this is still the case, but back in April 2017 the SO CSR told me that SpeakOut need the IMEI and PIN to be able to process the port request. If you have changed phones while being with SpeakOut it might be worthwhile to confirm with them what IMEI they have on file.

Make sure that you have a positive balance in your SO account / keep it active - it will close automatically when the port is complete.

Assuming that you are dealing with a failed port, a PM mod will need to resubmit your port request with the correct information.

In my case SpeakOut had put a 24 hour hold on the port, my port completed about 70 hours after I first initiated it. (I think it took me 5 tries to actually talk to a SO CSR, got kicked out of the line the 4 times before, and I spent about an hour on hold on the successful phone call. The PM side of that experience was refreshingly easy and nice in comparison.)

Good luck - hope this gets sorted for you asap!

@IronSnowBird wrote:

The moderator told me my Speakout number won't transfer to Public Mobile because it has a 604 area code.     Has anyone else had a similar experience?   I phoned Speakout and they didn't think it would be a problem.   Is there a particular moderator that would know how to do the Speakout Transfer?   No luck so far.

That has to be either a misunderstanding or a badly mistaken employee.  There is no reason that the entire 604 area code would not be transferable.  Public Mobile does offer Vancouver phone numbers, so your number is transferable, period.  Even if Public Mobile doesn't have, or never had 604 phone nubmers would make no difference.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@IronSnowBird wrote:

@Shazia_K  could you look into this for @IronSnowBird

Rockdaddy22

That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. That’s obviously a very popular area code

IronSnowBird
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Rockdaddy22

Thanks for the update. Glad everything worked out, if you have any problems, please let us know. 

teddy_44
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Never mind. Got it to work.

teddy_44

I attempted to port my number to PM but I entered the wrong account number. Now, when I try to do the port process again, the website says the phone number I want to transfer is not available to transfer (after clicking the Checking Availability button). How do I know if the port failed? How do I cancel that request? 

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

you're very welcome 🙂 @hyperactiveme enjoy your new services!!

Cheers,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

hyperactiveme

Thanks to @Mary_M for sorting out my port for me. Yay!!!!

Rockdaddy22

@hyperactiveme wrote:

Great, I hope it can get sorted out soon. Thank you

Please keep us updated on you situation 

hyperactiveme

Great, I hope it can get sorted out soon. Thank you

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

anytime 😉 @Rockdaddy22

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Rockdaddy22

Thank you for the confirmation Mary

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Good morning @hyperactiveme,

this is confirmation that we've received your private message One of us moderators will look into it shortly and get back to you 🙂

regards,

Mary

Rockdaddy22

@hyperactiveme wrote:

Ported my number over about 13 hours ago.  My old Sim stopped working about an hour after the port so I thought the port went through. I then installed PM Sim and nothing. I still have a PM number and not my ported one. Should I wait longer or did something go wrong?

Was this a cell or home phone, home phone can take longer. Cell should have ported by now. 

Are you %100 sure the phone is unlocked or locked to Koodo or Telus?

hyperactiveme

Ported my number over about 13 hours ago.  My old Sim stopped working about an hour after the port so I thought the port went through. I then installed PM Sim and nothing. I still have a PM number and not my ported one. Should I wait longer or did something go wrong?

srlawren

@Luddite definitely recommended!  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@projectman28 Suggested reading: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/BE-PREPARED/m-p/112014#M20827

@srlawren loves it; just forgot to mention it! Robot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren

@projectman28 no, that won't be a problem.  Create the Public Mobile account in your own name.  But when you're ready to port in the number from Bell, in the port request form, make sure you enter your wife's name in the "Name on Old Service Provider account" field.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

projectman28

with my current provider (the blue company), i have 2 lines (my wife,and myself). The account is in my wifes name and she is staying with blue for a few more months, till her contract runs out. I however just purchased a public mobile sim and want to port my number asap.

My question is......

Will i have any issues signing up with public if my other account is in my wifes name?

Rockdaddy22
Very similar in most areas anyway. Glad to hear your getting great results.

anico

I tested again.  The download speed is almost the same.  The upload speed is a lot faster.  Probably it also depends on the time of day.  I'm just using the first thing that shows up when you google "speed test".

srlawren

@anico as @Rockdaddy22 said, welcome aboard!  I'm surprised to hear you're getting speeds faster than Rogers--the two networks overall should be very similar.  Perhaps Telus has stronger coverage and/or less network traffic in the areas you frequent.  Regardless, I'm glad you're happy!

Rockdaddy22
Great to hear, welcome to the PM family 🙂

anico

Just switched from Rogers after 10 years. Direct porting of old number.  Activation almost immediate.  Speed much faster than Rogers.

Ryanlm
So almost a week ago I set up a new account, transferred my number, and my account was billed. I cannot log into the self serve site(user not found) and my SIM is not active yet. I'm still using my old carrier. What gives?

srlawren

Hi @vnwind, I have edited your post to remove your phone number, as per community guidelines, since this is a public community that anyone (including Google's search engine) can read.  Please send a private message to @CS_Agent including your phone number and the info about your issue, and they will asssist as soon as they can. If you're not sure how to private message, please see the second link at the bottom of this reply.

Rockdaddy22
This is a public forum, I strongly recommend you edit your post. Have you sent a private message to a mod?

vnwind

@Shazia_K, It has been days and i have power cycle my iphone 6 on and off but i still have no data. please help and look into my account under phone number 587XXXXXXX. Thank you

Also no data showing under my plan. I ported my phone from freedom mobile last Wednesday and did add the 6GB data plan as instructed

Need Help? Let's chat.