cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring phone number (not account holder)

khmac
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I've been signed up with Public Mobile for a few months and I love it. Now my partner, who has not previously had a cell phone, would like to sign up, and he would like to transfer our landline number. The problem is, I am the account holder for the landline. I see from the instructions on transferring numbers that only the account holder can transfer the number. Is there any way that I can give permission to my partner to do this?

Thank you,

Kate

10 REPLIES 10

PINGIRL1

Thank you for your suggestion.  Will do that!  

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@PINGIRL1

Did you send a private message to a moderator?..if not, do so and include all your account info including phone number, pin etc..and a description of your issue..

PINGIRL1

I went to Walmart today and registered for a public mobile account with a new sim card.  I asked that my previous phone number be ported from Speakout provider with 7 Eleven.  It has been denied and I have called Speakout but they said I must be in touch with Publicmobile.ca and contact them.  I have been unable to do that.  Please help!!

@Jessica_T wrote:

@khmac wrote:

Hello,

I've been signed up with Public Mobile for a few months and I love it. Now my partner, who has not previously had a cell phone, would like to sign up, and he would like to transfer our landline number. The problem is, I am the account holder for the landline. I see from the instructions on transferring numbers that only the account holder can transfer the number. Is there any way that I can give permission to my partner to do this?

Thank you,

Kate

@khmacYou open a 2nd and completely separate public mobile account in your name as you are allowed to open as many accounts as you wish. Transfer your landline to your new public mobile account. Once everything is complete log into my account and change the account name / username and personal information to your partner then contact the mods and have them change the official e-mail address portion.

Public Mobile is a prepaid service.  There are no credit checks.  To transfer an account, all you really need to do is update the credit card info and change the profile information to reflect the new user.

All that is unnecessary.

The new Public Mobile could be set up under any name (even a fake one), and it would have no beating on the ability to transfer the phone number here.

All the same, since the other person involve is a partner/spouse, I would say that it doesn't make that much difference whose name the new Public Mobile account is put under. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@will13am, @Jessica_T

I've never ported a number but this seems too easy to take someone elses number. Oh I like that number. Trace it down to an address. Go dumpster diving and find a printed bill with account info. (ok that part's not so easy) Or raid a mailbox complex.

Something doesn't seem right here.

What all is needed to verify that you have the right to port a number?

I'm guessing I'm not the first person to ask this either and not the first person with this concern.

I must admit that phone number and account number might not be top secret and totally secure.  I believe what stops phone number theft is that it is not something a thief can hide.  The ill gotten number will have to reside in an active account with a carrier. 

Oh yes. After the fact. Apparently I don't have the requisite criminal mind.

Never mind.

Thanks

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Anonymous wrote:

@will13am, @Jessica_T

I've never ported a number but this seems too easy to take someone elses number. Oh I like that number. Trace it down to an address. Go dumpster diving and find a printed bill with account info. (ok that part's not so easy) Or raid a mailbox complex.

I'm guessing I'm not the first person to ask this either and not the first person with this concern.

Then you get to go on a vacation...to JAIL. 🙂

@Anonymous wrote:

@will13am, @Jessica_T

I must admit that phone number and account number might not be top secret and totally secure.  I believe what stops phone number theft is that it is not something a thief can hide.  The ill gotten number will have to reside in an active account with a carrier. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am, @Jessica_T

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@khmac, the name on the Public Mobile account does not have to match the name on the account for the phone number you wish to port in.  In the porting process, you simply need to enter the account owner for the landline and acknowledge that you are authorized to port the number.  It is the check box that confirms there are consenting parties involved in the port.  Note that landline ports can take several days to complete.  As always when setting up a new account with a number port, it is strongly advised to take a new number initially and then after the account has been set up go back and submit the number port.  This reduces the likelihood of activation problems and allows the new account to work trouble free regardless of the time it takes to complete a port. 

Jessica_T
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@khmac wrote:

Hello,

Thank you,

Kate

@khmacYou open a 2nd and completely separate public mobile account in your name as you are allowed to open as many accounts as you wish. Transfer your landline to your new public mobile account. Once everything is complete log into my account and change the account name / username and personal information to your partner then contact the mods and have them change the official e-mail address portion.

Public Mobile is a prepaid service.  There are no credit checks.  To transfer an account, all you really need to do is update the credit card info and change the profile information to reflect the new user.

Need Help? Let's chat.