cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring old numbers

MartinArndt
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We just switched to public Mobile and have an issue with porting our old phone numbers. My wife somehow ported my old number to her phone by mistake. No idea how to undo what she did so I can have my old number and she can have her number. Also, we bought the SIM cards from Walmart and were told that we could get a mod to call us directly to talk us through the issues we’re having. How do we go about doing that?

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Vinchenzo50 wrote:

How do I transfer my old phone number from Koodo to Public Mobile??  It would not let me do it when I set up a Public Mobile account.  I had to choose a new phone number, which I don't want.

If it was Koodo post-paid then you can go into the self-serve and change your number.

If it was Koodo pre-paid then you need to contact the mods here.

Send ONE (1) private message to them here and include your phone number and PIN to minimize back and forth identity verification delays.
Forget your PIN? Then you'll need 3 of either of these pieces of information you used when you signed up: full address, birthdate, last 4 digits of CC you might have used, email address on the account, alternative phone number you might've entered when you signed up. Or, in addition, either of these to get to 3: last payment amount and date, last add-on bought and date.
And of course your question/problem.
Then hopefully they will get back to you as soon as they can between M-F 9-9 (ET) and Sat-Sun 9-7:30 (ET). But it could be up to a couple days.
Depending on your notification settings, you would get an email notifying you of a reply. Get back here and see a red blob over the little envelope in the upper right of your screen and click on it to see the message.

Vinchenzo50
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How do I transfer my old phone number from Koodo to Public Mobile??  It would not let me do it when I set up a Public Mobile account.  I had to choose a new phone number, which I don't want.

MartinArndt

Thank you Luddite. That worked for iMessage and phone calls. Glad things are back to normal. Thanks everyone.

...now we’re just waiting for FaceTime to reboot, but at least that’s an Apple issue.....

@MartinArndt wrote:

Thanks. That’s exactly what happened. We called Koodo and got her number transferred back to Koodo and tried again. Her number is now assigned to the SIM card which was supposed to be mine. So we swapped SIMs and we each have our own number. 

Now the issue is my wife’s number keeps coming up as the new temporary number. I can call her and text her at the old ported number, but when she calls or texts me it comes up on my phone as the new number that we don’t want to use. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the new number and only use the old ported number that is also on her phone?

Sound like iPhones. If so, turn Messages and Facetime OFF. Reboot and tiurn them back ON.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

MartinArndt

Thanks. That’s exactly what happened. We called Koodo and got her number transferred back to Koodo and tried again. Her number is now assigned to the SIM card which was supposed to be mine. So we swapped SIMs and we each have our own number. 

Now the issue is my wife’s number keeps coming up as the new temporary number. I can call her and text her at the old ported number, but when she calls or texts me it comes up on my phone as the new number that we don’t want to use. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the new number and only use the old ported number that is also on her phone?

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

What may have happened is that she successfully ported her number into the new PM account, but then subsequently ported your number into the same account.  If this is what happened, then her number is gone.

You could ask the Moderator Team to look into it, though I'm not sure if they will be able to do anything.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@MartinArndt

Oh boy, hopefully, your wife's number is not lost.  You will need to contact moderator via private messaging and hopefully, they can resolve the problem.  Expect 1-2 days reponse time.  

Here is instructions to contact moderator:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-How-to-Contact-our-Community-M...

Or just send a private message through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Please include in the private message your phone number, your account number and PIN code.

MartinArndt

Thanks. The issue is my wife tried porting the numbers to her phone then mine while in the same account. I switched SIM cards, so my number is correct, but my wife can’t get her number because it says she already moved it over from Koodo.

any suggestions to fix this? It says the number is already imported but we can’t access it

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Did you both sign up with the same plan?  I don't think there's a way to reverse what's already happened.  You could port your wife's old number into your new PM account, so that you have one PM account each with your old numbers.  Then you would just have to switch SIM cards and you would have your old numbers.  You could then edit each of the account profiles to change the names so the appropriate name is with the appropriate number/account.

There is no number to call the Moderator Team, but you can send them private messages using this forum if there are issues that the community is unable to help you with.

Need Help? Let's chat.