cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring number (no incoming calls but everything else seems to work)

akaam
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I am new to PM. Transported my number from Virgin Mobile.

My Virgin Mobile number was not active during transportation.

Message I received was - number sucessfully transported.

Here is how things are for me right now:

Texting works

Outgoing calls work

Internet data works

Incoming calls DON'T work.

When I call myself it says the number is not in use.

Whaat should I do? Will it be taken care of automatically? or do I need to seek help somewhere?

27 REPLIES 27

Too much thought, rethought and editing I guess. Did you keep track of that spot where they land supposedly waiting for a moderator to deal with (doesn't happen)?  I know, not really fair is it... 

AE_Collector

Why do the posts that take a lot of thought the ones that *poof* disappear the Most? I give up its too late.......

Customers never own a phone number, the service provider who was assigned that block of numbers owns it. Customers have the use of the number that they picked or were assigned as long as their account is in order. Recent changes allowed numbers to be ported between companies to further competition. As soon as an account is cancelled the number reverts back to the original provider/owner. In this case Virgin owns and has control of the number and they don't really want "their number" ported to Public Mobile. Customers tend to think the number "is theirs" as they have had the use of it but the moment it is cancelled they find out who really controls it.

AE_Collector

@darlicious wrote:

@akaam @cavemantoronto  Can someone explain to me how this is the solution? @akaam did you contact a moderator to help you resolve your issue? Or did you do something else?

@akaam wants to port the number from Virgin. It's inactive. Moderators can't fix a broken port when a number is inactive. Akaam needs to get Virgin to reactivate number again first or else Public Mobile can't fix the port. ContactIng mods now is a waste of time.

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@akaam   Uh oh...your virgin mobile account was not active? Like not at all? Then you have a failed port . You must contact the moderators to cancel it. Click on Simon (?) at bottom right . Say human. Keep asking for human. Then message moderators thru the ticket Simon will create. You cannot port a number in from a closed account.

There's no reason to contact mods. Mods can't fix this. Virgin account needs to be reactivated first.

@Luddite  Can you please explain how this is the solution?

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@akaam   Uh oh...your virgin mobile account was not active? Like not at all? Then you have a failed port . You must contact the moderators to cancel it. Click on Simon (?) at bottom right . Say human. Keep asking for human. Then message moderators thru the ticket Simon will create. You cannot port a number in from a closed account.

There's no reason to contact mods. Mods can't fix this. Virgin account needs to be reactivated first.

@akaam @cavemantoronto  Can someone explain to me how this is the solution? @akaam did you contact a moderator to help you resolve your issue? Or did you do something else?

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi again, @akaam!

The moderators might need to have access to your account to see if you need a temporary number or not.

Please submit a ticket by using our virtual assistant SIMon. One of our colleagues will answer as soon as possible! 

We are here to help you!

Have an excellent day!

Ella PM Mod Team ^_^

akaam

@CS_Agent wrote:

Hi, @akaam

It would be our pleasure to help you to solve the issue!

If the problem still persists, please send us a private message in order for us to be able to help you!

All the best!

Ella PM Mod Team

Thanks for yout massage. Do you recommend that I get a temporary number?

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi, @akaam

It would be our pleasure to help you to solve the issue!

If the problem still persists, please send us a private message in order for us to be able to help you!

All the best!

Ella PM Mod Team

@akaam wrote:

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@akaam wrote:

Virgin cancellation department said they will restore the account so I can port it out. There is some unusual technical difficulties with my account so it will tay 2-5 business days, but after that it will be active and I can port my number out.

It shouldn't take them 2 to 5 days. It's one mouse click. When they reactivate, they also start billing you again.

In the meantime, should I get a temporary number?

@akaam 

It is too late to get a temporary number at the present time.  Need to wait for moderator/VM to fix things on their own ends. 

Some people would recommend activated a temporary PM number first when you sign up for Public mobile.  Once it is working, then you can port your old number over.  If the port fails, at least you still have PM's temporary number to use as the port is being fixed.  

akaam

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@akaam wrote:

Virgin cancellation department said they will restore the account so I can port it out. There is some unusual technical difficulties with my account so it will tay 2-5 business days, but after that it will be active and I can port my number out.

It shouldn't take them 2 to 5 days. It's one mouse click. When they reactivate, they also start billing you again.

In the meantime, should I get a temporary number?

akaam

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@akaam wrote:

They said it's a glitche. Something technical. And, oh well. I don't have much of a choice even if they do bill me. I need my old number back because I use it for business purposes as well.

@akaam wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

Cancellation department will likely try to convince you to stay with Virgin mobile.  Usually you need an active, working mobile account before it can be ported.  Not sure whether you will need to pay to "activate" VM account prior to porting.  

Of course they will. When you call them with questions about porting or ask for account number, they know what you're up to.  Either that or it'a a good way to bluff if you want an offer.

akaam

I will update everyone when/if it's done successfully.

@Dunkman wrote:

@akaam wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

@akaamCall the number listed in this post to figure out what has happened to your number

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Get-your-PORT-ISSUES-FIXED-BY-LIVE-AGENT-...

Okay, I will try that.

Virgin Mobile asked me to call their cancellation department. What do you think of that idea?

@akaam 

Cancellation department will likely try to convince you to stay with Virgin mobile.  Usually you need an active, working mobile account before it can be ported.  Not sure whether you will need to pay to "activate" VM account prior to porting.  

Chf960
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is a regular procedure for service provider (in order to figure out if you indeed want to port out the phone number). But you don't HAVE to cancel with them (if you cancel before the porting it will be a failed one).

@akaam   Calling the telus porting department is probably the best. If your account is still active then your number is still tied to it. Hopefully it can just be ported and and put back in service thru telus rather than having to deal with virgin. However if not please report back with the phone number given to you by virgin and the prompts to get thru to them....this will help others that find themselves in your unusual predicament in the future. Getting thru to a live agent at virgin can be quite difficult so any information in that regard will be very useful. Hoping you get it sorted out sooner rather than later!

@akaam wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

@akaamCall the number listed in this post to figure out what has happened to your number

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Get-your-PORT-ISSUES-FIXED-BY-LIVE-AGENT-...

Okay, I will try that.

Virgin Mobile asked me to call their cancellation department. What do you think of that idea?

@akaam 

akaam

@GinYVR wrote:

Okay, I will try that.

akaam

@akaam wrote:

Hi,

Texting works

Outgoing calls work

Internet data works

Whaat should I do? Will it be taken care of automatically? or do I need to seek help somewhere?

My account is active, but number is not in service. My post paid contract expired. I can stil login to my virgin account but I don't have any services.

And, I don't want a new number. I want to keep my number.

akaam

My account is active, but number is not in service. My post paid contract expired. I can stil login to my virgin account but I don't have any services.

@darlicious wrote:
  • @akaam  Sorry... @cavemantoronto  I stand corrected...i was completely unaware that you can reactivate a closed account to facilitate a ported number.  is this the case with most providers?  Public mobile is the exception not the rulef customer called Virgin to cancel a postpaid account and it was recent, Virgin can reverse the cancellation.

Customer can take new number instead but if keeping the number is needed, I would say to try that first.

If it's Virgin postpaid and customer requested cancellation recently, it can be reversed.

If it's a Virgin prepaid number but account is suspended because of no payment but account is still open, payment is needed to resume the plan.

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

• @akaam  Sorry... @cavemantoronto  I stand corrected...i was completely unaware that you can reactivate a closed account to facilitate a ported number.  is this the case with most providers?  Public mobile is the exception not the rule?

@darlicious wrote:

You will continue to have the services but no incoming calling until pm fixes it and you get new number.

@darlicious wrote:

@akaam wrote:

Hi,

Texting works

Outgoing calls work

Internet data works

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@akaam wrote:

Hi,

Texting works

Outgoing calls work

Internet data works

Need Help? Let's chat.