cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring my mobile providers

emmacvetkovski1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, 

I’m looking to switch from Bell to Public Mobile and would like to keep my number 

7 REPLIES 7

@emmacvetkovski1 

Your bell account should close automatically after the transfer is complete, assuming it's the only number on the account. If you have more numbers they will be unaffected.

If you are in postpaid plan they will prorate and give you the final bill. Make sure you update your mailing address there before the port, if they end up owing you money they may send the cheque to the address on file without contacting you first.

If you have prepaid plan you will not get anything back, so it's best to switch towards the end of your plan in that case, so that you use up what you paid for.

Also u would suggest removing your credit card info, i was charged by bell months after i cancelled service with then.

@emmacvetkovski1  first. No one should be sending you a referral code unless you asked for one on these forums. If you received some it's against the terms and conditions to send unsolicited referral code. Since now you said "I'll use yours" not sure who you are speaking to but as mentioned people shouldn't be sending you codes without you asking first.

More than likely you probably have a bunch by now sitting in your inbox.

As for your question. No you do not need to call Bell it will all be done automatically. Once the number is ported over the system will notify Bell that you have left. They'll close your account and mail your final bill.

emmacvetkovski1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you so much! Appreciate all your help.

I’ll use your referral code.  
My data usage is currently 5G with Bell.

I was thinking 45$ plan would be all I need.

I can grab a PM SIM card today and start the activation.

Once I set up do I then call to cancel with Bell?

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @emmacvetkovski1 

Do you already have a sim?

Walmart frequently gives them for free if you activate in store. You can still use your friend's referral there.

This place sells sim cards cheap https://canadiancellsupplies.com/products/public-sim-card 

Also when did you plan to switch?

Black Friday sales are coming so if you are not in a rush you could maybe save more money. We sometimes get $10 off for up to 8 months in certain plans, bonus data, bonus referral credit... Unfortunately it cannot be applied retroactively

Which plan were you thinking of getting? What is your data usage right now? Do you use VoLTE with bell (Publicmobile doesn't offer it)

For transfer of number you can do it during signup, make sure you provide secondary number where you can be reached if anything goes wrong (if you don't have one, get a free one with fongo or TextNow, both are great)

Even better option is to activate with temporary Publicmobile number, test the service, test your phone make sure it's unlocked, make sure everything is the way you would like it, then transfer your number (you will need to contact moderators when you are ready and they will do it for you)

Welcome to Publicmobile

Anonymous
Not applicable

@emmacvetkovski1 wrote:

Hello, 

I’m looking to switch from Bell to Public Mobile and would like to keep my number 

You can do that. There's a place during the activation process that you enter details about your number.

You could also take a new number and then transfer afterwards needing moderator assistance.

Your current account needs to be active.

Don't forget to use a referral code for a $10 credit.

Edit: too funny speedy Jb456 🙂

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

To complete your port-in request, please open our chatbot via this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

You sure can keep your number. Make sure bell account is in good standing.. Buy a PM sim and while activating the sim card you will have a section to port your number over.

Activation link is below.

https://activate.publicmobile.ca/

If you need assistance you can talk to PM on live chat at this link below.

https://chat.telus.com/chat/publicmobile/chat-pm.html?portal=publicmobile&language=en

Don't forget to use a referral code for a a $10 signup bonus.

Need Help? Let's chat.