cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring from Telus, wrong IMEI and error

politerobot
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

A friend of mine signed up for public mobile, and is transferring her phone number from TELUS.

On the final step of the registration, there was a an error: "Generic Error Oh no! It looks like something went wrong, but don’t panic."

On my phone, I received a text from public saying that a referral was successful. However, it's been over an hour, and her phone does not have any service yet. The selfservice account she registered with doesn't seem to exist yet either.

Potentially related to the issue: the wrong IMEI was submitted with the application.

6 REPLIES 6

@politerobot wrote:

I've contacted the moderators with as much information as possible. Thank you everyone fr your assistance

I would recommend your friend setting up a community account with the same email they will be using for the self serve account and having them submit a message with all the pertinent information. I have never seen anyone get the IMEI number wrong but undoubtedly it will not work. The sim sends the IMEI number to the carrier, that is how they are able to blaclklist a phone. Be sure to include the wrong IMEI number, the good IMEI number and a good explanation of what went wrong plus any other information they have at this point. 

To get help with your account, activation, or service? Please contact the Community Moderator Team to get help with your account.They are Public Mobile support employees who can help with your issue; "https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Moder..."
Click here to send them a private message. 'https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437  
In your message please include: PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue.

Don't know your pin?Provide any 3 of the following: Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date amount.

How long until they reply?  Hours: Mon-Fri 9am to 9pm, and Sat-Sun 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time]. Messages are replied to during business hours and in the order they are received.

Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, but can be up to 48 hours.

There is no need to send multiple messages.Some good posts/reads: Search PM GUIDE to find some great posts and answers to many common questions.

If either response to your particular request leads to the resolution of your issue , please help other community members by marking that post as the solution. Thank You

politerobot

I've contacted the moderators with as much information as possible. Thank you everyone fr your assistance

shartomjam
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@politerobot wrote:

Thank you for your prompt reply.

My friend replaced her phone yesterday through applecare, and i realized that the phone would be locked. We are currently on the line with telus to unlock the phone first, to see if this will help.

When i try to activate the sim card again, it says the sim is invalid, so i feel like some part of the registration went through. I will message the mods soon if the unlocking of the phone does not work.

You shouldn't have to unlock the phone if it is locked to Telus.  Public Mobile is owned by Telus and it should run on the network.  I think your problem is with the activation and only the mods can fix it.

lemew07
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@politerobot wrote:

My friend replaced her phone yesterday through applecare, and i realized that the phone would be locked. We are currently on the line with telus to unlock the phone first, to see if this will help.

When i try to activate the sim card again, it says the sim is invalid, so i feel like some part of the registration went through. I will message the mods soon if the unlocking of the phone does not work.

Most phone come unlocked but maybe apple still locks them to the original network provider (telus) I do think a chat with a mod will help Good Luck Lemew

politerobot

shartomjam
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Sounds like your activation/port did not complete.  You will have to contact the Mods by sending them a Private Message (@Moderator_Team).  Send them as much information as you can - phone number, PIN, name etc.  and a description of what happened.  If you need more information on how to send a private message, do a search on "send private message to mod".

Need Help? Let's chat.