cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring from Koodo with referral

PlanShopper
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So, I did a search for this and the answer is unclear.  I know that if I'm on Koodo prepaid, I have to open a new account with a new number then port in the original number after.  I'm not on prepaid, but am on Koodo Post-paid.  I understand it is ok to port in directly without a new number first, but as I'm starting the import, it says "If you're coming from Koodo, do a new number first"...so now I'm thrown off again.

Ultimately, I would be happy to do a new number, but I'm also doing a referral, so I'll lose the referral if I change the number, no?  It's this that I'm ultimately concerned about.

Anyone confirm if I'll lose the referral by activating with a new number first?

Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8

@PlanShopper wrote:

Just to close this out for anyone reading in the future, I went with a new number and then ported my existing number in after the account was all setup.  Took all of 10 minutes from start to finish and the phone is up and running.

For the referrals, time will tell, but I trust that PM will make it right if it drops off for some reason.

Thanks everyone!

Hi, 

You have nothing to worry about, if you are referring someone than that referral is connected to your account which does not change when you change your number. If you are being referred than again it is connected to their account by your account being active regardless of you changing the phone number. 

As mentioned the $25 credit is a one time thing and should show up shortly. If you referred someone than the $1 credit will be applied to your available funds on renewal date and will be there every 30 day cycle until you close your account or the person closes or suspends their account. You should receive a text message if this is the case.

I hope all this makes sense. Do ensure your credits are being applied to your account as there as been situations where the credits are missed on renewal. 

PlanShopper

Just to close this out for anyone reading in the future, I went with a new number and then ported my existing number in after the account was all setup.  Took all of 10 minutes from start to finish and the phone is up and running.

For the referrals, time will tell, but I trust that PM will make it right if it drops off for some reason.

Thanks everyone!

@PlanShopper wrote:

@RobertQc

Thanks for the quick response.  I do understand that I'm adding the other persons number, but if I change my number to the real number, the "referrer" could lose the bonus because I didn't keep the plan for X number of months etc.

@PlanShopperThe number should be attached to your account, not that specific phone number. If the referral gets lost you contact the moderator team and have them correct the issue. There are countless issues here which with a little bit of patience for the moderator team, they will correct it. It has happened for many various issues the referral is lost, if you are entitled to it then it will be put back on when you bring it to their attention. The "automated" system here can fail anytime, on anything it does.

Referrals will follow you.  I doesn't matter if you change your number. Even if you activate with one number and use that as the referrer and change the number before you receive any promotional referral credits, you should still be okay as there would be a record of the phone number changes.  As for the $1 per 30 days, that follows you for sure no matter what phone number you end up using, as long as you keep the same account.

PlanShopper

@RobertQc

Thanks for the quick response.  I do understand that I'm adding the other persons number, but if I change my number to the real number, the "referrer" could lose the bonus because I didn't keep the plan for X number of months etc.

@Lieux

I like the idea of making a new account first, then porting into a working account, but I'm worried the referral will be lost due to the number change.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PlanShopper wrote:

So, I did a search for this and the answer is unclear.  I know that if I'm on Koodo prepaid, I have to open a new account with a new number then port in the original number after.  I'm not on prepaid, but am on Koodo Post-paid.  I understand it is ok to port in directly without a new number first, but as I'm starting the import, it says "If you're coming from Koodo, do a new number first"...so now I'm thrown off again.

Ultimately, I would be happy to do a new number, but I'm also doing a referral, so I'll lose the referral if I change the number, no?  It's this that I'm ultimately concerned about.

Thank you!

As I understand it, the referral gets attached to your account. You can change your number all you want afterwards. You being the new customer, you will see your referral reward (either $25 or $10) regardless. Your referer will always be connected to your account. (until you suspend or leave)

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@PlanShopper wrote:

Thank you!

@PlanShopperIt's best to choose a new number, so everything can get set up (confirm all plan features are working, talk, text, data, then transfer the number over and have it "replace" the number on your exsting, working service. Since its post-paid you should be able to do it yourself. Prepaid just means the moderator team will have to do it manually.

Too many times someone sets up a new account by means of porting and has no service anywhere.

I also believe you want to use a different e-mail from your koodo account

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

No @PlanShopper you will not loose the referral because you will write the phone number of the other person that referr you... not yours....

Need Help? Let's chat.