cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring a phone over from Virgin Mobile & Retaining Phone #.

phone_newbie87
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My girlfriend is currently with Virgin Mobile and I have a few questions that are all somewhat related to making a decision.

1. She has an iPhone 6 and the battery life is starting to be a little wonky.  It will be at 35% and suddenly drop to near zero spontaneously.  I researched replacing a battery and it seems simple enough that I could do it myself.  My only reservation is that I'm getting an actual Apple battery and not some crappy knock off that doesn't resolve the issue.  She is fine with the phone provided the battery life doesn't suck.

2. She'd like to keep her current phone number if possible.  Her contract ends this month.  Is it possible to swing that over.  I know this question probably gets asked all the time so sharing a link is perfect.

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@phone_newbie87 wrote:

1. She has an iPhone 6 and the battery life is starting to be a little wonky.  It will be at 35% and suddenly drop to near zero spontaneously.  I researched replacing a battery and it seems simple enough that I could do it myself.  My only reservation is that I'm getting an actual Apple battery and not some crappy knock off that doesn't resolve the issue.  She is fine with the phone provided the battery life doesn't suck.

I've bought a couple of batteries from the link below, and the owner assures me he only deals in genuine batteries, and based on many emails back & forth, I believe him. That, and he DEFINITELY stands behind the products he sells, and although I didn't look, it wouldn't surprise me if he also sells some of the specialty tools necessary to get the job done. Next time I need a battery, this is the place I'll be ordering from: https://qualitycellularparts.com/ 

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If your gf has a backup phone she can use for a few days, Apple will replace an iPhone 6 battery for $65.  Then you know you're getting a genuine Apple battery that won't blow up in her pants.

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Your gf will need to contact her current provider to get her phone unlocked from them (no fee)  If she is goiing to keep the same number then it will need to be ported over to PM well her current contract is still paid up.

It's your choice to try install of a new battery for the 6 or go to an Apple store and have them do it.  Interestingly there was a class action won against Apple in the US because their update slowed down 6's but only owners of 6, 7, and 8 will get a cash refund of some amount.

Once the Virgin number is ported to PMobile, then the sim can be used in most phones if she decides for something different.

Cheers

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

You are welcome @phone_newbie87 

1. The iPhone 6 is compatible with the PM network. I would try an Apple store for the battery. They should not sell fakes there.

2. It's recommended that the SIM be activated with a temporary cell phone number, and the self service account set up. Then port your number from within. This allows you to test the SIM and provides a safety net in case something goes wrong with the port.

@phone_newbie87 wrote:

My girlfriend is currently with Virgin Mobile and I have a few questions that are all somewhat related to making a decision.

2. She'd like to keep her current phone number if possible.  Her contract ends this month.  Is it possible to swing that over.  I know this question probably gets asked all the time so sharing a link is perfect.

Thank you!

Need Help? Let's chat.