cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring a number.

phone_newbie87
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am currently using Rogers through work. I want to transfer my current Rogers number over to my personal device.  I set up my personal device with the Public Mobile SIM card 2 months ago and it's working with a random number they generated.

Rogers is working with me to make this change but they say they need to send me a SIM card with my current phone number (the one I want to move). I then load this SIM into my phone. 

I'm confused with the part where Public Mobile recognizes this on my account. I thought the process was entirely different where Rogers just needed to unlock the number and then I ported it over with Public Mobile.

Does the scenario they are suggesting work? If so, what do I do on the Public Mobile end of things.

Thank you 😉

9 REPLIES 9

@phone_newbie87  unless you are still going to need another seperate ohine for work, that would be the inly reason they provide you another SIM. But, dont put their SIM in the phone you have for PUBLIC MOBILE. 

If you have a seperate work phone youll need their SIM in that work phone. 

Hope that makes sense. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@phone_newbie87 wrote:

I am currently using Rogers through work. I want to transfer my current Rogers number over to my personal device.  I set up my personal device with the Public Mobile SIM card 2 months ago and it's working with a random number they generated.

Rogers is working with me to make this change but they say they need to send me a SIM card with my current phone number (the one I want to move). I then load this SIM into my phone. 

I'm confused with the part where Public Mobile recognizes this on my account. I thought the process was entirely different where Rogers just needed to unlock the number and then I ported it over with Public Mobile.

Does the scenario they are suggesting work? If so, what do I do on the Public Mobile end of things.

Thank you 😉

Your phone number was activated on your company account.  You need to switch it from a corporate account to individual account before you can port your number to PM.  In order to switch your number our from your compay account, Rogers need your company permission to let your number go.

It seem to me that Rogers activates an individual account with a new SIM card instead of using your old company SIM card.  Call Rogers to confirm.

You need to supply your individual Rogers account number, your phone number to be ported to PM and the name on your new individual account to port to PM.

Please note that you Rogers account must be active before you can port your nuymber to PM.

FYI: Number porting is a 2 stage process:
Stage 1. After submitted your porting request, PM set up your old number on your PM account. Login to your account. Select the [Plan and Add-Ons] tab. Is your old number showing on the [Plan and Add-Ons] display?
If yes, PM has done its work to setup your old number for you to call out, send text and data.
If no, you should create a support ticket for moderator to investigate. 

Stage 2. Now, you are waiting for your old provider to release you number to PM. Not until your old provider release your number, all the incoming calls and texts will continue to go to your old provider. You can continue to use the old provider SIM card until it stops working which is the indication that your number was released to PM.

phone_newbie87
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'll try this @Naepalm thanks. I'm still a bit confused but Rogers are giving me another SIM for the current work device with another number. Perhaps it will make sense to me at some point 😉

Triguy
Mayor / Maire
  1. As a new customer, we recommend porting a number at activation with the exception of Koodo Prepaid customers. 
    • We have made some system enhancements to improve the success rate of this activity. So long as the correct information is entered, this process should be seamless
  2. All other customers: To complete your port-in request, please open our chatbot via this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@phone_newbie87 wrote:

Thank you 😉

@phone_newbie87  No need to contact the moderators until Rogers competes moving the number over from the Business account to a personal account. Once that is complete you just need to contact the moderator team and give them your Rogers account number, Name on the account and the Rogers number and they will submit your port request to Rogers.

When you are ready open a chatbot request via this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator. Don't forget to include the info from above.

Hope this helps!

pharaohpeter
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@phone_newbie87You could also contact the phone number porting service that Telus provides for Public Mobile.

1-866-558-2273

Good luck!

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@phone_newbie87 

Here is a thread on porting your number;

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Number-transfer-in-Self-Serve-impacted-...

"To complete your port-in request, please open our chatbot via this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator."

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@phone_newbie87 normally, you keep the account active, give the moderators the name on the acccount, phone number to port and the Rogers account number in order to initiate the port.   Type "Port Request"in @Naepalm 's link subject message field.Stay safe. 

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@phone_newbie87 

Not sure what Rogers is going on about. You dont need to contact rogers other then unlocking your phone. But the SIM is already working so your good.

For you to retain your Rogers number: You need to contact the moderators let them know the phone number and account number for Rogers. They will port your number over quickly. I did this yesterday with my moms phone and it took less then 6 mins. 

The Rogers account will close that number off upon port no need to contact them. 

Contact mods through private message and in the subject type port number

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.