cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring a land line number

Matt9
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When I try to transfer my landline number I get an error « please enter a valid Canadian phone number »

it is a valid Canadian number. Please help!

6 REPLIES 6

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Matt9 wrote:

it is a valid Canadian number. Please help!

Would you mind sharing the area code and prefix? That's  OK if you don't, privacy etc. But, please check your city/rate centre here:

https://cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm

Check if Telus Mobility has service in the same city/rate centre. If they don't share a rate centre, you won't be able to port the number. There are some cities across Canada where this is the case. If you see a match, then you might need to message the moderators as previously indicated to determine what the issue is.

Did you previously confirm that Public Mobile says the number can be ported? Use this link to confirm the number. (It's a Koodo link, but the system is shared)

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Agree landline generally not really more dependable than cellular, but I think a back up using wifi is essential. I use Fongo but TextNow is also good. 

@Meow wrote:

Even though it might be seen as convenient route to have your home ('land line') in a pocket and 'cut the wire', I would advise against it.

Reason is your land line is assigned to land line operator; you can check it at CNA - CO Code status using your area code and first 3 digits of a phone number.

Your mobile (PM) number is assigned to Mobile operator.

With growing number of authentication services requiring you to provide mobile number (to send you a code, to register you, etc.) your transferred 'land line' number to your cell phone will be rejected and you will not be able to complete above task.

Been there, done that.

If you want to get rid of land line, get your mobile number, advise all parties of number change and then 'cut the wire'.

I respectfully disagree.  I have no issues using my wireless home phone line which I have had for almost a decade.  The only shortcoming is fax service and who really needs it these days.  I suspect the inadmissibility for number transfer is a glitch on the Public Mobile end.  Hopefully the moderators can find a solution.  

BTW, wireless home phone service is arguably more reliable than the wired phone these.  The old home phone infrastructure is pretty much abandoned and replaced with VOIP.  Although my internet availability is very high, the wireless network availability is even higher.  

Even though it might be seen as convenient route to have your home ('land line') in a pocket and 'cut the wire', I would advise against it.

Reason is your land line is assigned to land line operator; you can check it at CNA - CO Code status using your area code and first 3 digits of a phone number.

Your mobile (PM) number is assigned to Mobile operator.

With growing number of authentication services requiring you to provide mobile number (to send you a code, to register you, etc.) your transferred 'land line' number to your cell phone will be rejected and you will not be able to complete above task.

Been there, done that.

If you want to get rid of land line, get your mobile number, advise all parties of number change and then 'cut the wire'.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Matt9 

This sometimes happens, and is frustrating.

Try waiting an hour, clearing cache and cookies, open an incognito tab, and trying again.

If you need live activation assistance, try this service:

https://chat.telus.com/chat/publicmobile/chat-pm.html?portal=publicmobile&language=en

Here's information on porting.   Landlines can be ported, though they may take a few days to complete the process:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

If you continue receiving this error message, here's how to contact a Public Mobile Moderator team member; there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire
Need Help? Let's chat.