cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring Provider and Receiving Calls

Hock
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, 

I recently switch provider, from Fido to Public Mobile.  It is been three month and Fido still charges my phone bill, as well as Public Mobile charges too.  Public Mobile was suppose to cancel my plan with Fido, but they did not do so.  I went to Fido and they cancelled my plan but I am not able to get a refund for that three months, as they told me to ask my current provider.  I am not too sure what to do.  

Another thing with my phone number, I am able to make calls out, but not able to receive calls.  I do not know why.  

Thanks! 

7 REPLIES 7

@GinYVR wrote:

@Ed404Public Mobile doesn't cancel plans. However when the number is transferred out, the originating phone company will close accounts with no numbers attached to  the accounts.

I'll grant you that.  I mean that the port request by Public Mobile getting approved triggers an auto-cancel of the Fido plan but it's Fido that does the cancellation.

@Ed404Public Mobile doesn't cancel plans. However when the number is transferred out, the originating phone company will close accounts with no numbers attached to  the accounts.

@Ed404 wrote:

@Hock wrote:

Public Mobile was suppose to cancel my plan with Fido, but they did not do so.

Can Public Mobile actually cancel a plan with another provider? Never heard of that, nor would I rely on them to do it when I ask.

Yes. That's how it works when porting. You're not supposed to ask old carrier to cancel.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Hock , I don't know how to break the bad news to you.  The number port which if successful would have cancelled your Fido account right away failed.  This is why the Fido service continued and you were paying them for essentially nothing.  Now that you have asked Fido to cancel your old plan, you lost the phone number and will not be able to attempt another port.  There is little that Public Mobile can do in this case as they have nothing to do with what happens at Fido.  They can only be responsible to help with the number porting if the failure were brought to their attention. 

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Hock wrote:

Public Mobile was suppose to cancel my plan with Fido, but they did not do so.

Can Public Mobile actually cancel a plan with another provider? Never heard of that, nor would I rely on them to do it when I ask.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Hock 

Since the number never finished transferring, you will have to pay Fido because they still provided service. You aren't receiving calls because they were going to Fido.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Have you ever been able to receive phone calls? Your port may not have completed properly hence why your account did not close.

Contact a moderator immediately, or your number may be lost??

Creating a support ticket:
Explain your issue to SIMON, seen below:

SIMON

Use as few words as possible to allow the BOT to understand. Answer his questions until you get here:

Create a support ticket

Click on "Submit a ticket" and the Moderator team will respond to your concern, usually within 48 hours.

Alternatively, you may send a private message to moderator through the following link :
Contact @Moderator_Team

About @Moderator_Team
Moderator Hours
Monday-Friday: 8AM- 12AM EST
Saturday & Sunday: 8AM-10PM EST

Need Help? Let's chat.