cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferred Phone NUmber from Virgin - not fully working?

momof4
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I switched from Virgin. FIlled out all the info in my account and says successful. 

If i call out, the phone number is my original number. You can me with the original number not problem.

But the text messages/imessages isn't working. When i send a message out, it goes to the "Public number". If you text my original number, the message doesn't go anywhere..

what did i do wrong?  i need this fixed today to cancel Virgin account.

3 REPLIES 3

@momof4 wrote:

I switched from Virgin. FIlled out all the info in my account and says successful. 

If i call out, the phone number is my original number. You can me with the original number not problem.

But the text messages/imessages isn't working. When i send a message out, it goes to the "Public number". If you text my original number, the message doesn't go anywhere..

what did i do wrong?  i need this fixed today to cancel Virgin account.

"Successful" deosn't mean that the porting has been done. That on-screen message in self-serve or the activation system is just telling you that the request has been received.  It means nothing else. The other carrier involved still has to replay and approve the request, for which requests to and from one wireless carrier to another are usually completed within a few hours.

A note about cancellation:  In general, you do not want to contact the old carrier (Virgin) to talk about cancellation. I'm fully aware that you may still have to eventually talk to them to take care of any final invoice, but if you call them and they cancel your service before the number transfer is complete, you will not be able to take the phone number with you. Cancellation of your Virgin service is supposed to happen automatically once your phone number has been transfered to another carrier.

There's a good chance that all incoming calls and text messages are still going to your Virgin Mobile service.  So, if you do want to miss those, you may want to keep using your Virgin sim card for now.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@momof4, how long has it been since you submitted the port?  It can take a couple of hours to complete a number port.  The phone should be rebooted after the port completes.  In the mean time, the best way to check porting status is by using the old service.  When that stops, port is done. 

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Don't you only have 1 number? Then why do you have a "public number"?

You said you're not receiving text messages, so I assume it's an issue with SMSC configs. You mentioned "iMessage" so I assume it's an iPhone? You can change your SMSC in this way. PM's SMSC number is 16475800172.

Do check if your Virgin account is actually closed (by logging in online). If not, you should check if there's any problem on the Virgin side.

Need Help? Let's chat.