cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfering over from Virgin (want to keep old number).

guitarguy10
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I thought i've done everything right but I just received a text saying that to complete my request to move to public mobile it wants me to go to publicmobile.ca and 'click contact us and complete the SIM & activation online form) and that I'll need to provide the correct ESN/MEID

There is no 'contact us' on publicmobile.ca nor a form of any kind to fill out.  Regardless when I created my account it asked me for all of this info (except MEID which I believe is the same as IMEI on GSMA phones (which mine is)).  In any event I do not have a 'MEID' (I do have an IMEI however).

I have unlocked my phone with the unlock code my old provider gave me, I have setup an account with publicmobile as the instructions that came with the sim card said to do and my phone says that the Network Operator that I'm connected to is Public Mobile ....

.... However, when I try and call my phone from another phone it goes immediately to the voicemail of my OLD provider.  

I do not want to lose my phone number, what have I dont wrong in porting my phone number over?  

If a mod or whatever can PM me I have the IMEI, SN, SIM #s, old carrier account # and pin #s and even my first unborn child (kidding!).

16 REPLIES 16

Napoleon

My switchover to PM from Virgin Mobile was similar to your situation. I wanted to keep my #, I responded "YES" to the VirginMobile Request to Transfer text and then nothing happened.

2 hours later I completed the "contact us" form and sent a private message to cs rep (Community), I was told to wait another 4 hours and try again. The next day and 15 hours later -- still no service.

Through other answers on the Community board I tried the following: removed PM sim card and after a few minutes reinserted; powered cell off and on and this was my SOLUTION ~ I RESET ALL NETWORK SETTINGS.

@VirginNo wrote:

I was considering doing that myself... but didnt, and it all magically worked out the next day

When replying, please use the quote button.  If you don't do that, people generally aren't going to trying to figure out who you're responding to making it very difficult to understand the conversation.

@guitarguy10Make sure before you talk to SIMon makes sure you had just started a new browser with no privacy add ons, cache and no cookies. It needs all those technology to get the ticket generated correctly.

VirginNo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes, I thought I knew better than the chatbot... then after no avail I did what it told me to do... and success!

VirginNo

I was considering doing that myself... but didnt, and it all magically worked out the next day

VirginNo

YES, same thing happened to me. Just give it a day. I was able to make outgoing calls however. I wish I had my advice when I first switched over last week. An try restarting your phone too.

VirginNo

After the headache of transfering over it is well worth it... I'll never go back.

VirginNo

I had no problems using the instructions to keep my number from virgin... I have a Galaxy A5 (2017) which did give me problems however. I had to follow the suggestions of the community to get it going however... there is a bit of tweeking involved. It took me a couple hours to fiqure it out.

@VirginNo wrote:

Yes, I did the same thing last week. There was about a 12hr wait period before I could get incomming calls or data however out going calls was pretty much immediate. I also had to call Virgin to unlock my phone and give me a code to do so, no problems from them.

Hi, did you also receive a text from PM like OP did saying that to "complete your request to move to public mobile..."

If you did not, I am assuming your transfer completed on it's own.

@guitarguy10 wrote:

I don't care if my phone works immediately or not, I have no friends (i'm a loser) barely ever use it.

I want to make sure that I don't lose my old phone number and it seems as if the port didn';t go through correctly (so what effect would waiting have? none)

Trying to submit a ticket but it will not let me click verify on step 3 ... I put in more then the 3 personally identifiable info questions it asked for (I put answers to them ALL) and still nothing ... so I cannot complete a ticket.

This is starting to irritate me, this probably would have been resolved already if I could have just spoken to a real human being for 5-10 minutes.  

I guess I will just keep trying ...

Don't be so hard on yourself, SIMon is a work in progress. You can also use the link given by @Jb456.

You won't lose your phone number as long as you keep the account active (which means your paying for both plans until the port is completed).

Meanwhile, I suspect when you originally requested the port, one of the info you provided was incorrect or did not match what's on file with your old provider.
If you want to retry the port yourself, you can log on to your Self-serve account and retry it yourself. Just be careful entering your old provider info.

VirginNo

Yes, I did the same thing last week. There was about a 12hr wait period before I could get incomming calls or data however out going calls was pretty much immediate. I also had to call Virgin to unlock my phone and give me a code to do so, no problems from them.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

IMEI stands for International Mobile Equipment Identity. It's a unique 15-digit number assigned to all cellular devices.

The 14-digit MEID stands for Mobile Equipment Identifier and is similarly meant to identify a mobile device. It is sometimes known as an Electronic Serial Number. You can translate the IMEI to a MEID by dropping the last digit.

So maybe remove last digit from your IMEI number and try??

If you're having issues contacting mods via SIMon the chat bot.

Private message them via link below.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

guitarguy10

I don't care if my phone works immediately or not, I have no friends (i'm a loser) barely ever use it.

I want to make sure that I don't lose my old phone number and it seems as if the port didn';t go through correctly (so what effect would waiting have? none)

Trying to submit a ticket but it will not let me click verify on step 3 ... I put in more then the 3 personally identifiable info questions it asked for (I put answers to them ALL) and still nothing ... so I cannot complete a ticket.

This is starting to irritate me, this probably would have been resolved already if I could have just spoken to a real human being for 5-10 minutes.  

I guess I will just keep trying ...

@guitarguy10   try your old Sim card in your phone, if it works keep using it until the port is complete!

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@guitarguy10 wrote:

Hi,

I thought i've done everything right but I just received a text saying that to complete my request to move to public mobile it wants me to go to publicmobile.ca and 'click contact us and complete the SIM & activation online form) and that I'll need to provide the correct ESN/MEID

There is no 'contact us' on publicmobile.ca nor a form of any kind to fill out.  Regardless when I created my account it asked me for all of this info (except MEID which I believe is the same as IMEI on GSMA phones (which mine is)).  In any event I do not have a 'MEID' (I do have an IMEI however).

I have unlocked my phone with the unlock code my old provider gave me, I have setup an account with publicmobile as the instructions that came with the sim card said to do and my phone says that the Network Operator that I'm connected to is Public Mobile ....

.... However, when I try and call my phone from another phone it goes immediately to the voicemail of my OLD provider.  

I do not want to lose my phone number, what have I dont wrong in porting my phone number over?  

If a mod or whatever can PM me I have the IMEI, SN, SIM #s, old carrier account # and pin #s and even my first unborn child (kidding!).

The email means there was a problem porting over your number.

You will need Moderator_team help to complete the port.

Click on the green Question Mark (at bottom right) to get started.

Type in "Submit a ticket" or "contact us" to have your ticket submitted.

Your old provider account has to remain active for the port to work.
Also you will need to provide PM Moderator with the following info:
- phone number
- old provider account number
- name exactly as registered on old provider account

Need Help? Let's chat.