Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfering my number

Fifi_26
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How can i transfer my number 

5 REPLIES 5

@Fifi_26  A note on @Nazrinn advice. It is usually recommended to takes A temporary number first and make sure all your services get set up on your phone. Texting, data and calling. Then once everything is working correctly go into your account and click on change number. You can then port in your number. All you need is your account #, name on the account and an alternate number. You only need 1 of these three: acct#, pin# or IMEI #. The acct # is the least problematic  of the three.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Number porting is a 2 stage process:
Stage 1. After submitted your porting request, PM set up your old number on your PM account. Login to your account. Select the [Plan and Add-Ons] tab. Is your old number showing on the [Plan and Add-Ons] display?
If yes, PM has done its work to setup your old number for you to call out, send text and data.
If no, you should create a support ticket for moderator to investigate. 

Stage 2. Now, you are waiting for your old provider to release you number to PM. Not until your old provider release your number, all the incoming calls and texts will continue to go to your old provider.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Fifi_26 wrote:

How can i transfer my number 

Main points

-don't contact old provider to cancel;  new provider does all the work for the porting

-number must be active

-have details like account number of old carrier

Nazrinn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Fifi_26 

I'd base myself on geopublic answer's, but I'll add that if you don't have a PM account connected to your phone yet, and the phone number you want to use is currently tied to your previous cellphone carrier, you can just:

1. Go to a place that sell Public Mobile sim cards (like Walmart);
  2. Take the sim card home, and begin the phone the registration process as instructed on the Public Mobile flyer that will be given with your SIM card (the registration process is done on PM's website);
  3. At some point during the registration process, Public Mobile will ask you if you want to transfer a phone number (you had with your previous carrier) to them, instead of registering a new phone number. Check yes, then enter the phone number you want to transfer and the IMEI of the phone to which that phone number is currently tied to.
  4. Follow the rest of the instructions and insert the SIM card.
  5. Done!

I've successfully transfered from Virgin Mobile to Public Mobile only in a few hours that way. No need to talk to your previous carrier before doing the transfer. It's really simple.

More info on how to transfer your phone number in Canada here: https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/num.htm

geopublic
Mayor / Maire
Need Help? Let's chat.