cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfering Rogers 647 number to PM

skanji
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Good morning and happy holidays to all,

I wanted to transfer an existing no contract Rogers number that I have had for 6 years - it's 647 number. 

When i called public mobile, they said that this wasn't doable as my number wasn't from Ottawa or QUebec.

Is there no way to port this number over to PM from Rogers?  

Thanks,

-sk

25 REPLIES 25

@computergeek541 @skanji 

I haven't seen an offer advertised but targeted offers in your app can offer 10,000 points per $50 spend at loblaws companies. It has been mentioned that purchasing SIM cards or vouchers have recieved the optimum points so it's worth trying to see if it works on an activation. It should in theory....if there is an offer available.

@skanji wrote:

PC only gives points for the initial buy i'm assuming?

PC Optimum points can give points for some purchases and none for others. I would imagine that there are the usual exclusions about some types of products not being eligible for loyalty points. Some customers also only get points for advertised or account specific bonus point offers because they don't give any points per dollar spent unless you have a PC Mastercard.

Either way, the points you earn for purchasing a sim card for $10 or activating even a $50 plan is next to nothing - we're talking pennies.

skanji

PC only gives points for the initial buy i'm assuming?

@skanji  The only thing special your dad would have to do at superstore would be to say " Wal-Mart is offering a free SIM card with in store activations. Will you price match it?" Then pull out his pc optimum card when he goes to pay to get the points.

@skanji wrote:

I live in Ottawa, and my Dad in Toronto.  I am trying to port over my dad's rogers number in toronto while i'm in ottawa.  His account is under my name in ottawa.  He told me he called in to PM (which maybe he didn't...dunno...but he did get the info that he had to go to Ottawa to make the port over, which maybe was because the account is in my name?)

I'm going to tell him to go to PM at the local superstore, and ask for the change:

- shouldn't have to pay for the SIM

- should get a referal bonus from my son who just signed up for PM over xmas ($20 for my son, $10 for my dad)

- should get a free month

- can't get the 400 min bonus or 1G bonus - should we wait perhaps to xmas on this to see if there is any other deals?

- hopefully he can port over no problem

IMPORTANT: When he goes to superstore, is there anything special he has to do to port over, while he is on my account?  He isn't on contract, so shouldn't be any worry there...

Your dad most definitely did not call Public Mobile. There is no one there at at the toll free number to even asnwer the call. He may have called a retail store, but the information that he was given was false, regardless.

No one has to travel anywhere.  The porting can be done at the time of activation at a retail store anywhere in Canada where they sell Public Mobile service.

You could even do the poritng yourself (or your dad could) from within the Public Mobile self serve account.

Pretty much everything that your dad was told over the phone about porting is pretty much nonsense.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@skanji wrote:

OK, here's some more detail.

I live in Ottawa, and my Dad in Toronto.  I am trying to port over my dad's rogers number in toronto while i'm in ottawa.  His account is under my name in ottawa.  He told me he called in to PM (which maybe he didn't...dunno...but he did get the info that he had to go to Ottawa to make the port over, which maybe was because the account is in my name?)

I'm going to tell him to go to PM at the local superstore, and ask for the change:

- should get a referal bonus from my son who just signed up for PM over xmas ($20 for my son, $10 for my dad)

- can't get the 400 min bonus or 1G bonus - should we wait perhaps to xmas on this to see if there is any other deals?

IMPORTANT: When he goes to superstore, is there anything special he has to do to port over, while he is on my account?  He isn't on contract, so shouldn't be any worry there...

Make sure his phone is unlocked from Rogers.

The gift giving is done.

Do you yourself have your own account here? You could also do the referral. Not just your son.

Some stores offer free SIM's when activating in their store. Not all. And not all the time. This is not Public Mobiles doing. PM does sometimes have promos for a free SIM at participating retailers.

@skanji wrote:

You should just have your father go and buy a sim card and if he wants activate a plan. Let them select a new number to get it all up and running.

Then when he gets home. Call you and you can log into his new Public Mobile account and port his Rogers number over for him.

Log into self serve account and click change number then select "transfer number from another provider".

Screenshot_20191223_210328.jpg

Should be that easy.

And just for reference Public Mobile does not have support over the phone so not sure who he called. Everything is done online or via a ticket to moderators via SIMon the chat bot.

skanji

@Anonymous wrote:

And I was interested in your information on ineligible porting numbers. Then you turned it on its head.

There was an example not long ago with a customer wanting to port in a phone number from Nipigon, Ontario.  Since Telus does not have any assigned blocks of phone numbers for that municipality, the customer could not port that number to Public Mobile.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 

You said this:

That is not true. Only numbers that are eligbible can be ported in. If Public Moible/Telus does not have their own numbers for a particular city that a phone number is from, a number from that city cannot be ported in.

And then you said this:

When it comes to porting, there are also no restrictions when it comes to porting and the city of the phone number that was activated.

Thus my confusion.

I will admit that I could have chosen the wording better, but those two messages are replying to two different things under a different context.

And I was interested in your information on ineligible porting numbers. Then you turned it on its head.

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 

You said this:

That is not true. Only numbers that are eligbible can be ported in. If Public Moible/Telus does not have their own numbers for a particular city that a phone number is from, a number from that city cannot be ported in.

And then you said this:

When it comes to porting, there are also no restrictions when it comes to porting and the city of the phone number that was activated.

Thus my confusion.

I will admit that I could have chosen the wording better, but those two messages are replying to two different things under a different context.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 

You said this:

And then you said this:

Thus my confusion.

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

When it comes to porting, there are also no restrictions when it comes to porting and the city of the phone number that was activated. A customer in Toronto could activate a Vancouver phone number and then later port in a Toronto phone number without problem.

@computergeek541 

Wait a minute...but you just said that only eligible numbers can be ported which I found interesting. But then you said the above. So which is it?

Toronto phone numbers from wireless carriers are porting eligible. I was only trying to say that that the address on the account didn't matter and that a customer didn't need to originally activate a number from the same city as the one being ported in.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

When it comes to porting, there are also no restrictions when it comes to porting and the city of the phone number that was activated. A customer in Toronto could activate a Vancouver phone number and then later port in a Toronto phone number without problem.

@computergeek541 

Wait a minute...but you just said that only eligible numbers can be ported which I found interesting (other than obviously an active account). But then you said the above. So which is it?

@jillea wrote:

647 is an Ontario area code.  Is your address you used to sign up with still in the same area for 647 area code.  As to my understanding area codes are based on your address location you can't get a Alberta area code number with an Ontario address.

None of this is correct.

The mailing address for billing or the self serve account profile do not make any difference. Any customer can pick a phone number from the available cities that Public Mobile can assign no matter what the address is. The address provided to Public Mobile doesn't even have to be real. I person with an Ontario address absolutely can get a phone number from a city in Alberta.

@skanji wrote:

I wanted to transfer an existing no contract Rogers number that I have had for 6 years - it's 647 number. 

When i called public mobile, they said that this wasn't doable as my number wasn't from Ottawa or QUebec.

Thanks,

-sk

Since Public Mobile doesn't have any call-in service, I'm not sure who you called, but why would the number have to be from Ottawa (a city) or Quebec (a province).

Either way, Rogers Wireless phone numbers with a 647 area code are Toronto phone number. It absolutely can be ported in. You should be making the porting request yourself from within your self serve account.

@jillea wrote:

You can port in any Canadian number to public mobile. 

That is not true.  Only numbers that are eligbible can be ported in. If Public Moible/Telus does not have their own numbers for a particular city that a phone number is from,  a number from that city cannot be ported in.

sweden06
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@jillea wrote:

647 is an Ontario area code.  Is your address you used to sign up with still in the same area for 647 area code.  As to my understanding area codes are based on your address location you can't get a Alberta area code number with an Ontario address.

I could port my Ontario number when I moved to Montreal (Lucky Mobile). After I had moved back to Ontario I simply ported it back to Public Mobile

jillea

jillea

You can port in any Canadian number to public mobile.  I just ported my sons rogers number with no issue and I'm in pei.

sweden06
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Ususally it's possible to transfer any canadian phone number to PM. Make sure your account with your old service provider is still active. 

As mentioned before: PM does not offer any phone support. I don't know whom you called but it can't be PM. Also allow up to two hours for the transfer. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The wireless code doesn't impose restrictions on number porting.  You should be able to carry any number you want in an account.  This service is on compliance with the wireless code in number porting.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Do you have a pm sim if yes  just follow the activation steps on one of the screens it will ask you do you want a new number or an existing.  Select existing enter your number and it will 95% of the time say yes number can be ported. Unless you are Koodo prepaid (which requires or moderators) a very  small % of numbers that can't be ported.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@skanji wrote:

Thanks,

-sk

Before you port your existing Rogers number to PM, make sure your existing Rogers account is still activated even there's no contract,  otherwise it won't work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@skanji wrote:

Thanks,

-sk

Did you call the Telus porting support #? There's no call-in support with Public Mobile. Who did you call?

As far as I understand, any active Canadian number is transferable into here.

Need Help? Let's chat.