cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer to PM - SIM Card Issue

AgiePooh
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, 

I'm trying to figure out my issue and hoping the community can help. 

I have transferred my mom from Bell to PM this afternoon. She is using an old phone of mine that was unlocked by Fido last week (via online chat). I purchased a SIM from PM and received it via mail.

Her account has successfully been set up and registered, confirmed by the online portal. 

When I put the SIM in the unlocked phone, I get the "Invalid SIM card. Network locked SIM card inserted." error. I will also occasionally have the screen pop up that asks me for the "SIM network unlock PIN".

My question is: is this error because the transfer from Bell to PM is still in progress (it has only been an hour)? My guess is no, because all online information in her account points to the account being opened and transfered. 

So, if the phone is unlocked (confirmed by Fido) and the SIM is tied to PM (purchased directly from them), what else could be the issue?

Thanks for the help! 

11 REPLIES 11

AgiePooh

@computergeek541 wrote:

@AgiePooh wrote:

Thanks for the quick replies. Holy cow!

The phone is a Samsung S5 Neo. PM's site has confirmed it is compatible. I guess I need to contact Fido again, even though they confirmed at the time the phone was unlocked through the process we (Fido and I) performed online. 

As others have said, that message absolutely means that your phone is not unlocked.  I can confirm for you that a Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo from Rogers/Fido is compatible with Public Mobile.

Also, unlocking is not something that Fdo can confirm or peform from their end.  All they can do is provide you with the unlock code.  It is still up to you to enter the unlock code into the phone.

First off, thanks for all of the suggestions. Fido had indeed provided me with the correct SIM unlock code...my problem was that I thought that that code was just a reference in case of problems...I thought the physical unlocking of the device was done on "their end" and all I had to do was pop in the new PM SIM and be on my merry way. Lol, I didn't realize that the code they provided had to be entered into the phone at the SIM PIN screen.

All is good now. Thanks again for all of the help.

@computergeek541 wrote:

You need to enter that code when prompted with the enter sim network unlock code prompt.  That prompt will only appear after inserting a non-Fido sim card.  If the code doesn't work, Fido gave you the wrong code.

A non-Rogers compatible SIM is the correct sim to use, as Rogrs, Fido, Chatr, and a few others are okay on a locked Fido phone.

You need to enter that code when prompted with the enter sim network unlock code prompt.  That prompt will only appear after inserting a non-Fido sim card.  If the code doesn't work, Fido gave you the wrong code.

AgiePooh

Yes, I should have stated that once they provided the unlock code that I entered that code. 

@AgiePooh wrote:

The phone is a Samsung S5 Neo. PM's site has confirmed it is compatible. I guess I need to contact Fido again, even though they confirmed at the time the phone was unlocked through the process we (Fido and I) performed online. 

As others have said, that message absolutely means that your phone is not unlocked.  I can confirm for you that a Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo from Rogers/Fido is compatible with Public Mobile.

Also, unlocking is not something that Fdo can confirm or peform from their end.  All they can do is provide you with the unlock code.  It is still up to you to enter the unlock code into the phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AgiePooh wrote:

That phone should be fine. Samsung also has a way to provide an unlock code. Maybe try them. Online chat too.

AgiePooh

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AgiePooh 

One possibility is that the phone isn't actually compatible here.

Check willmyphonework.net to verify. Hopefuly your phone is in there. Otherwise let us know the exact make/model of phone.

But it really sounds like it's not actually unlocked.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@AgiePooh, seems to me the phone unlocking has not been successful.  To confirm the functionality of the SIM and plan, try using it on a different unlocked phone. 

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

What phone is it. If it's a Rogers phone it MAY not work with Public Mobile. But it sure sounds as if the phone is still locked.

GC

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@AgiePooh wrote:

Hi, 

I'm trying to figure out my issue and hoping the community can help. 

I have transferred my mom from Bell to PM this afternoon. She is using an old phone of mine that was unlocked by Fido last week (via online chat). I purchased a SIM from PM and received it via mail.

Her account has successfully been set up and registered, confirmed by the online portal. 

When I put the SIM in the unlocked phone, I get the "Invalid SIM card. Network locked SIM card inserted." error. I will also occasionally have the screen pop up that asks me for the "SIM network unlock PIN".

My question is: is this error because the transfer from Bell to PM is still in progress (it has only been an hour)? My guess is no, because all online information in her account points to the account being opened and transfered. 

So, if the phone is unlocked (confirmed by Fido) and the SIM is tied to PM (purchased directly from them), what else could be the issue?

Thanks for the help! 

@AgiePooh  It means that the phone is still locked to the previous provider.

Edit: I forgot to mention if it's a samsung phone you might be able to get it unlocked via a chat session on their website.

Need Help? Let's chat.