cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer sim to new phone

martik777
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a new phone in transit but want to sign up before it arrives to get the free month promo.

Are there any issues with transferring the sim  to the new phone?

7 REPLIES 7

martik777

Thanks for all that detail.

The phones are a Redmi 7a and Umidigi A7 Pro and Redmi8A

Reynolds10

I had no issues when I signed up last week. Took maybe 15 minutes to transfer over, if that. You can sign your email up to ensure you get the $0 deal, if you activate online before September 11th, 2020. 

@martik777 

Maybe sign up for the promo before the last day. You could wait a few weeks before signing up so you don't pay for service before you're ready to use it, but the end cost would be more than the buy-one-month-get-two-months promo offer which expires soon.

Public Mobile SIM cards will work in any phone which is not carrier-locked. You can test whether a phone is locked by trying out an active SIM card from any carrier other than the one the phone came from. You can probably borrow a SIM card from a phone belonging to friend or family, you only need it for a couple minutes (long enough to restart, dial in or out, text in or out).

The phone needs to be SIM-compatible, of course. PM SIM cards are supplied in all three standard form factor sizes. PM does not support eSIMs - but this isn't a problem unless you intend to buy an eSIM-only device elsewhere.

Your phone also needs to be radio-compatible. This is basically a non-issue because all Canadian carriers use more or less all the same basic bands and frequencies for more or less all the same things. It's only a problem with really old phones or with new phones intended for foreign regions.

You'll need Public Mobile's APN settings to access data and MMS. Most new phones will autoconfigure, some will require manual configuration, a few will require quirky tweaks to make things work properly. At worst it's a one-time setup which will take a few minutes.

Some older phones won't autoconfigure voicemail. But it's easy enough to manually enter the number as a contact if you must.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@martik777 wrote:

I have a new phone in transit but want to sign up before it arrives to get the free month promo.

Are there any issues with transferring the sim  to the new phone?

Once you have the SIM in hand, you can activate and sign-up and wait for the phone to arrive. Of course you're paying for service in the meantime. If you might insert the SIM into some available phone then be aware of the three sizes and keep all the frame bits.

@martik777 

There is no issue....wait until the 10th and activate then. Borrow a phone just to test that you are all up and running then when you get the new phone  just put the sim in and you're good to go,

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@martik777  No issues, just move the  sim to the new phone and you should be good to go.

Need Help? Let's chat.