cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer from Telus Prepaid

GARB1962
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I want to transfer over to Public Mobile from Telus prepaid and have come across some apparently conflicting info.  With the transfer to PM can I keep my existing phone number that I currently have with Telus prepaid?  There seems to be issues when coming over from Koodo prepaid with regards to that and having to use a moderator to enable the process.  Will I be able to do it all myself online or need to get a moderator because of the existing prepaid?  I know Telus, Koodo and Public are all under the Telus umbrella so I am kind of concerned about that, really would prefer to keep my existing phone #.

8 REPLIES 8

allenw

You shouldn't cancel your prepaid phone number with Telus by calling them. 

1) Activate with Public Mobile (Pick any temporary phone number of your choice)
2) There should be an option for you to port your phone number in, it will ask for some of your information such as your Telus Account # , and your Telus Phone Number you're trying to bring over. 

3) If you've already activated with Public Mobile, you can still port in your phone number by doing so under the self serve menu, there will be an option to change your phone number, and then enter the information belonging to your Telus Prepaid Number.

4) Make sure your Telus Prepaid Number account status remains active, otherwise the port request will not go through sometimes.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

I ported my wifes number from Telus prepaid without any hitch. The port completed in about 1 minute, I was impressed.

I initially signed up with Public Mobile with a NEW number (which will be returned when you port-in your Telus prepaid number), so I was able to test compatibility, calls, texting, and data prior to initiating the number port. You can also hopefully take advantage of the current promotion which is likely to dissapear any moment if you sign up quick. As others have mentioned, I also recommend doing it this way.

If you do the initial activation (with new number) at walmart, you *might* even get the sim card for free. Then you can initiate the port yourself online from home.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

@GARB1962 

You don't need a temporary number, but it's better way of doing it in my opinion. Less things you do simultaneously less chances of one of them failing, in a case of a problem easier to single out the culprit and fix it. Plus it's nice to know that everything works well before switching, just better feeling.

Do you already have sims? Today is the last day for the great promotion, if you don't go to closest Walmart asap, you may same up to 180 between two of you, if they have free sim in Walmart it would be up to 200 savings

smiley3
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You shouldn't need a tempory number, in fact you should leave the number active with telus until after you complete the port process to your new Public Mobile account.  It is a pretty simple process during activation it walks you through it.

@GARB1962 You can do it all in one shot. However if the port fails you may lose the number ported. But if you get a temporary number, you will have an established account here. Allowing you the chance to retain the number ported if it fails. Think of it as protection in case there is a problem. 

@GARB1962 wrote:

Confused about this temporary number thing you mentioned. Can't I just get the sim card and complete the process on the PM web site in one shot?  Then Telus will cancel my existing prepaid account once the process goes thru to them and at that point everything is settled?

GARB1962

Confused about this temporary number thing you mentioned. Can't I just get the sim card and complete the process on the PM web site in one shot?  Then Telus will cancel my existing prepaid account once the process goes thru to them and at that point everything is settled?

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Bo problems porting  from Telus prepaid. You could register your SIM, get a temporay number and port your Telus number after. The Lunar promotion expires at midnight eastern today. To take advantage of it go to a retailer ex Walmart and activate there (You may get your SIM for free)

@GARB1962 wrote:

I want to transfer over to Public Mobile from Telus prepaid and have come across some apparently conflicting info.  With the transfer to PM can I keep my existing phone number that I currently have with Telus prepaid?  There seems to be issues when coming over from Koodo prepaid with regards to that and having to use a moderator to enable the process.  Will I be able to do it all myself online or need to get a moderator because of the existing prepaid?  I know Telus, Koodo and Public are all under the Telus umbrella so I am kind of concerned about that, really would prefer to keep my existing phone #.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Only Koodo Prepaid requires moderator assitance for porting.  You should be able to complete the port yourself.  Here is a guide.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Start-Guide-Setup-Activation-Port-Dat...

Need Help? Let's chat.