cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer a number in - BC Residents

JasonRose
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Are there any restrictions to transferring your number from Fido for a resident of BC? Trying to get my father-in-law to join, but worried he won't be able to keep his number.

5 REPLIES 5

Here is a quick form that will confirm if a number can be ported to Telus Mobility, Koodo, or Public Mobile:

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@NDesai 

@computergeek541 

It seems like you two are making conflicting statements. @computergeek541 Is saying you can port from Fido with a number that belongs to city xx as long as Public Mobile can issue a number for city xx. How can you find out what cities are in the Public Mobile directory of service? <=That is with out logging in to search and pretend to do a number change. Here as long as is says Telus? Or? And does it really matter if city xx is not in the Public Mobile directory of service?

Yes, CNAC is one place to check.

Most numbers can be ported. However, number portability rules state that a number cannot be ported in unless the carrier receiving the number also offers "local" service for the same city as the number being received.  I'm simplifying the wording, but th number porting guidelines/mandates do need to be followed by the carriers involved.

Let's use the example of Dryden, Ontario in the northewesternish part of Ontario.  The Telus Mobility and Public Mobile coverage maps will show the area as having network coverage, largely because of the presence of Bell Mobility who does have network faciities set up there and also offers Dryden phone numbers. Rogers Wireless/Fido also offers phone numbers for Dryden, Ontario, but Telus Mobillity does not. Therefore, a number port of a Dryden phone number from Fido to Public Mobile isn't an option and cannot be completed. As for British Columbia, I haven't checked every single rate centre/location of possible phone numbers, but the rule still applies.

@NDesai 

@computergeek541 

It seems like you two are making conflicting statements. @computergeek541 Is saying you can port from Fido with a number that belongs to city xx as long as Public Mobile can issue a number for city xx. How can you find out what cities are in the Public Mobile directory of service? <=That is with out logging in to search and pretend to do a number change. Here as long as is says Telus? Or? And does it really matter if city xx is not in the Public Mobile directory of service?

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

No restrictions. Number can be ported out from Fido. you just have to make sure Fido number is active when you request to port in. 

@JasonRose wrote:

Are there any restrictions to transferring your number from Fido for a resident of BC? Trying to get my father-in-law to join, but worried he won't be able to keep his number.

Your father-in-law's service with Fido must be active. Also, Telus Mobility/Public Mobile must have phone numbers available/allocated to them for the same city as the number being ported in.

Need Help? Let's chat.