cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer Phone Number Validity?

the1banana
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was on my family's mobile plan on T-Mobile, which I can obviously no longer use while I live in Canada. I got a Public Mobile SIM card, and with it, a new number.

However, as I was trying to cancel my number on T-Mobile, they mentioned I could transfer my phone number, which I was dubious about, since Public Mobile is a Canadian service and T-Mobile is a United States phone service. Moreover, I already activated my SIM card and have a Canadian number?

Is a phone number transfer actually possible in this case? Could I replace my Canadian number with my US one?

4 REPLIES 4

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@the1banana Though you cannot port your US number directly into Public Mobile, you can still keep your old number cheaply by porting it to a virtual VoIP service such as voip.ms for less than $1/month. You could then just have it take voicemails and email, present a menu of options, or simply forward to your canadian mobile number for a few cents per minute on top of the monthly fee. You don't need any VoIP apps on your phone, but you can always set that up later if you are interested.

No, you can port an US number here.  I guess the T-Mobile rep wasn't aware you are in Canada now.

you can try to to confirm if porting eligibility (this is a site for koodo. But Koodo and PM belong to the same Telus family)

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do?lang=en&appname=otherportal

the1banana
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@the1banana wrote:

I was on my family's mobile plan on T-Mobile, which I can obviously no longer use while I live in Canada. I got a Public Mobile SIM card, and with it, a new number.

However, as I was trying to cancel my number on T-Mobile, they mentioned I could transfer my phone number, which I was dubious about, since Public Mobile is a Canadian service and T-Mobile is a United States phone service. Moreover, I already activated my SIM card and have a Canadian number?

Is a phone number transfer actually possible in this case? Could I replace my Canadian number with my US one?

No you cannot port a US number into a Canadian mobile net work.  I don't like to say this but some Americans are not too good with geography. Like when renting a car in a Florida airport and I show a BC drivers license and am asked where is that state??? I just replied....up north. 

Yeah, I figured. It struck me as a bit odd, but I wanted to double check if it actually was possible given that the two countries share the same country code for some reason.
If a moderator or staff could corroborate this claim (I don't know how this forum works), I'll confirm this as the answer and call it quits. Thanks!

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

No you cannot port a US number into a Canadian mobile net work.  I don't like to say this but some Americans are not too good with geography. Like when renting a car in a Florida airport and I show a BC drivers license and am asked where is that state??? I just replied....up north.

You may have been talking to the same person...now at TMobile.  

Need Help? Let's chat.